Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

what can ye tell me about the fla ceol (sp?) whos playing and whens it on?

thankin ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

some (long awaited) pics from Ballybunion.

Firstly, some views around Sandhill road..............
    sta403763ra.jpg

sta403774ws.jpg

sta403782zm.jpg

sta403796fb.jpg

• Advertisement

sta40379a5nb.jpg

and looking across Sandhill road to the coast and the Old Course
    sta403810gj.jpg

sta403826rm.jpg

and going up Doon road:
    sta403859ed.jpg

sta403876nc.jpg

• Advertisement

sta403910uh.jpg

...and coming back down Doon road (twoards town)
    sta403922fw.jpg

sta403939et.jpg

sta40393a7er.jpg

sta403944pi.jpg

sta403953ax.jpg

...and just for you, Snow.....that shop!
    (this shop is visable in the prev photo....its by the Texaco sign on the right)
    sta403965xn.jpg

apologies for the size of the pics. Imageshack is wierd sometimes!
    if you want the full size file of any of these pics, send me a PM and I will send pic to you .... please indicate which pic by its post number and include email address for me to send it to.

edit:
    I have re-sized the photos and re-posted them (as edits of themselves) Hope this bigger size lets y'all have more detail! Prev offer of full size file still stands! :)

Sandhill, I saw Molly this weekend, but I didnt have my camera with me. I will try and get pic of the locals for you so you can scratch your head, mull over, and say 'my, havnt they gotten old!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

RIDERONTHESTORM: Thanks for your great pictures.
    Good to see the sidewalk on Sandhill Rd,
    Mission well done.
    Next drink is on the house !:D :D
    SNOWSCORPION has not seen you pics of Doon yet.He will be very happy indeed !

Many thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

c045.gif

Rider, PM is in your mailbox right now!

That's the shop! That's the shop!

My brother and I still haven't gotten over the last batch of pictures you took. The one looking down the Francis Road is a huge favorite.

Next time I get to Ballybunion I'm going to go wandering down Sandhill Road several times and really get to know that area of the town as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Listowelmaeve

Thank you very much, Rider, for those great pictures of BallyB. My sisters and I used cycle from Listowel to BallyB. in the summertime. I loved every inch of the road and enjoyed every mile. We used dine on seagrass and perriwinkles from that little shop on the corner of Main St. Listowelmaeve:)

no problem, Maeve! I will try and get a pic of that shop / corner if you like. Is it at the Listowel end of town? (where the Garda station is?) or is it at the beach end of town ?(where the hotels were?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Sensational, Rider!

Doon Road certainly does look different from the last time I saw it. More crowded ... more homes ... more well-to-do.

Looks like a lovely place to live. (If only it wasn't so expensive! :( )

A couple questions: post 641 is looking north, right?

And what's the big red building in post 643?

Rider, you (and your camera) have become a priceless part of the Ballybunion thread. Thank you!

Hello Rider, The shop I was referring to where we bought our seagrass and periwinkles Was on the corner accross from the old ballroom and hotel. Thanks for your help. Listowelmaeve:)

Hello Rider, The shop I was referring to where we bought our seagrass and periwinkles Was on the corner accross from the old ballroom and hotel. Thanks for your help. Listowelmaeve:)
    \

The store you mention LISTOWELMAEVE : could it have been "Cissy Macs", with a low wall ? She sold 'tons' of items.
    Somewhere back in the threads is a photo maybe submitted by AERO or ALFASUDCRAZY.
    Those were the days at the Central Ballroom, also, The Ballerina Ballroom

Cissy Macs is still there, across from the hotel. Thats now the Golf Hotel. The low wall is stil there too! My boys are continuing a long tradition by walking along the wall and trying to jump accoss the gap / gate. She mostly sells toys and souvenirs, and some kids summer clothes .....and basic fishing stuff ... and some books... actually, she prob sells needles and anchors too! Cant remember perriwinkles or sea grass for sale there, but there is a car that parks outside that sells them from the boot of the car. He is there everyday during the summer. I will try and get some photos.

Looks like a lovely place to live. (If only it wasn't so expensive!
    It is very nice there. But YES, it is expensive now! A basic 3 bed semi-detached is 300k!
    A couple questions: post 641 is looking north, right?
    Yup, looking North, up the hill that is Doon road, looking towards the building in 643 and the church in 642. I was prob halfway up the road when I took that pic
    And what's the big red building in post 643?
    Thats Doon House. A big bed & breakfast building (hope I am not doing it a dis-service, maybe its a guest house, or small hotel!) It is on the corner at the top of Doon Road (road straight on would go to Doon, and following road around to the right would take you to Asdee / Tarbert / Foynes / Limerick). It is beside the church in 642.

That church in 642 is very old! It looks like it has always been a ruin! It was sold recently, and the money went to building a new playground for the kids in town. The playground is just round the corner from Cissy Macs! It is opposite Hanrahans tea shop / doctors surgery.

Thank you very much, Rider and Sandhill, for the info on Cissy Mac's shop.The more things change, the more they stay the same.ListowelMaeve:)

• Advertisement

nuns3ou0.jpg

Did any of you see these in Ballybunion last weekend?.

They were in a Mini bus from Virginia, County Cavan.

Advertisement