Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

From last week's Kerryman
    Residents of the area will get a few extra hours sleep this Easter Sunday morning with the news that the annual Easter Sunday morning Mass on the summit of Cnoc an Fhomhair [Knockanore] has being terminated. The Mass was traditionally celebrated at 6am and has been upheld annually for the past 15 years and was only cancelled once due to the Foot and Mouth scare.

Now the ceremony has become the victim of its own success as in excess of 1000 people have been attending the Mass every year and such a large congregation gathering in the darkness brings serous safety concerns. The organisers have taken the decision to end the Mass after careful consideration as it was felt by most that the ceremony had run its course.

The History of Dawn Mass in Ireland goes back to 1829 when Mass was celebrated to mark Catholic Emancipation. Easter Sunday morning ceremonies of this nature are symbols of our Christianity as in bygone day people got up early to see the sun dance and its reflection was mirrored in a bucket of water.

The actual site where the Mass was celebrated is unique as it is the spot where the parishes of Ballylongford, Ballybunion and Ballydonoghue meet. From its humble beginning back in 1992 when just a small group of people attended the Mass has developed into a huge ceremony with hundreds of people from all over the North Kerry area and beyond attending.

One of its most appealing features was the big parcel Fire which was set alight around 5am and it could be seen all over the Shannonside area. It was an occasion that the local community looked forward to every year with a great camaraderie built up between the people that met every year on the hilltop. It was a place where many new friendships were made with people lingering on after Mass for a chat as daylight arrived.

Every year many tourists attended the Mass and they were fascinated by its appeal and uniqueness. Of course the main function of the ceremony was to celebrate Easter and it was a ceremony where prayers were said for people that were sick on in hospital and those that had passed on to their eternal reward. The annual Mass was the brainchild of Fr Pat Moore and his interesting and humorous homilies made the ceremony much more enjoyable for everyone.

A lot of hard work went on behind the scenes organising the event and the man in the engine room was Martin Mulvihill and he had everything organised to perfection every year.

The sound system was provided free of charge by Donal of Sullivan of Listowel while the commodities for the big Pascal Fire were brought in by Donie O Keeffe and Denis O Sullivan who also had the task of setting the fire alight. The ceremonies were enhanced by the vocal and musical contributions of the Asdee Church choirs. There was often special guest entertainers including piper Danny Houlihan, Peggy Sweeney, Tommy O Carroll and the famous Rambling House man Sonny Egan. People were given gardening tips by Mike Joe Thornton who handed out sunflower seeds at the ceremony every year for people to grow at home.

Ballybunion Sea and Cliff Rescue were on duty every year directing traffic and had their ambulance on stand by should any emergency arise. While the termination of the Mass will leave a huge vacuum in local people's itinerary on Easter Sunday morning there will be plenty of fond memories to hold onto which will be around for many decades to come.

Each and everyone that helped out at the Mass over the past 15 years are to be commended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

I OWE MY MOTHER
    >>
    >> 2. My mother taught me RELIGION .
    >> "You better pray that will come out of the carpet."
    >>
    >> 3. My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL ..
    >> "If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of
    >> next
    >> week!"
    >>
    >> 4. My mother taught me LOGIC .
    >> " Because I said so, that's why."
    >>
    >> 5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC .
    >> "If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you're not going to
    >> the
    >> store with me."
    >>
    >> 6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT .
    >> "Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."
    >>
    >> 7. My mother taught me IRONY .
    >> "Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about."
    >>
    >> 8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS .
    >> "Shut your mouth and eat your supper."
    >>
    >> 9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM .
    >> "Will you look at that dirt on the back of your neck!"
    >>
    >> 10. My mother taught me about STAMINA .
    >> "You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone."
    >>
    >> 11. My mother taught me about WEATHER .
    >> "This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it."
    >>
    >> 12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY .
    >> "If I told you once, I've told you a million times. Don't exaggerate!"
    >>
    >> 13. My mother taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE .
    >> "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."
    >>
    >> 14. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION.
    >> "Stop acting like your father!"
    >>
    >> 15. My mother taught me about ENVY.
    >> "There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't
    >> have
    >> wonderful parents like you do."
    >>
    >> 16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
    >> "Just wait until we get home."
    >>
    >> 17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING.
    >> "You are going to get it when you get home!"
    >>
    >> 18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
    >> "If you don't stop ! crossing your eyes, they are going to get stuck that
    >> way."
    >>
    >> 19. My mother taught me ESP.
    >> "Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you are cold?"
    >>
    >> 20. My mother taught me HUMOR.
    >> "When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."
    >>
    >> 21. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT.
    >> "If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."
    >>
    >> 22. My mother taught me GENETICS.
    >> "You're just like your father."
    >>
    >> 23. My mother taught me about my ROOTS.
    >> "Shut that door behind you. Do you think you were born in a barn?"
    >>
    >> 24. My mother taught me WISDOM .
    >> "When you get to be my age, you'll understand."
    >>
    >> 25. And my favorite: My mother taught me about JUSTICE.
    >> "One day you'll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you
    >>

Happy Easter to all .

SnowScorpion: found this on some Real Estate site.
    Next stop USA>

fromdooneast398x2992vh.jpg

• Advertisement

SnowScorpion: found this on some Real Estate site.
    Next stop USA>

fromdooneast398x2992vh.jpg

Ohhhhh yeah, I think I see Shea Stadium in the distance. The Mets beat the Braves! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

this pic is from the Upper road, about 2 miles out of Ballyb, and looking down twoards the Cashen and Listowel road. Cnocnahora is directly behind me....

sta403289ga.jpg

That's not the field beside the driveway. That's the field beside the upper road, yeah?

I have no memory of that gate. :(

How do you pronounce Tintean? Tin-tawn? Cheen-tawn?

tintean2tt.jpg

Tintean is pronounced tin-tawn. Spot on Snow! ;-)
    It means fire-place, or hearth. Traditionally it is the place where stories were told years ago. There is a phrase 'nill ain tintean mar do thintean fein' which means 'there is no hearth like your own herth' ...... or like Dorethy said 'theres no place like home!'

• Advertisement

pics of sandhill road attached....

Thank you RiderOnTheStorm for the photos.

Was looking up the Tintean website last night, good line up for the season.

SNOWSCORPION:
    remember not to get too near, watch your step, best to be viewed lying on your belly.

ninedaughtershole2lp.jpg

Thanks to a lady in South Carolina for this image !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Hi All

Glad to see the thread still going strong and that we have gained our very own local correspondent - Rider. Thanks for the pics my man.

I have not been on here for a bit as I was sick - but am better now again so hope to visit more often.

Still have a bit of reading up to do - so bear with me for a bit.

Ballybunion looks great in the summer. Although when I was on the beat there I used to be frozen at night time from that sea breeze that used to blow right up Main St.

Those blow holes near the cliff are dangerous all right. I had to walk along there in the dark one night searching for some guy that was trying to jump off the cliff. There was a very bad storm blowing the same night and the sudden shot of sea spray up through the blow holes had me a little worried to say the least. :eek:

Hey hey - I don't believe it - they have painted the Garda station - can't say I like the colour though. :rolleyes:

mainst28ic.jpg[/QUOTE]

Welcome back Alfasudcrazy .Good to hear from you.. Still in Tralee?

Glad to see the thread still going strong and that we have gained our very own local correspondent - Rider. Thanks for the pics my man.

no problem. I love this place, and I want to share it, and present it in a good (honest!) light.
    I have not been on here for a bit as I was sick - but am better now again so hope to visit more often.

hope you are feeling better!

PS Isnt that colour on the Garda station gas! I must say, its a great landmark for giving directions..... as they say, You Cant Miss It!

smiley_dead.gif Ooh, the Nine Daughters' Hole ...Rider, is there a fence up around that thing yet?

Sandhill and Alfa already know because from much earlier in the thread when I was a kid, my dad, my brother and I would walk along the cliffs from Doon Road back into the town and my dad would get way too close to that damn hole. As I remember it there were even a series of concentric paths along the edge of the thing.

I assume that path is still there. I've seen photos where I think the path is. Looks like there's a wooden fence up around there now.

Welcome back, Alfa. Good to hear your back at full power.

Sandhill, that's your old house in Rider's pics? (I know I asked that about a photo earlier in the thread but the thread is getting so long now it's getting tough to go back and find stuff. My little thread is growing up so fast...sad4.gif)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Progen

Yep, welcome back Alfa! Good to see ye around.. Same Alfa who joined up on CIRL and posts in the Retro Cars section? :)

I must say hello if I ever see your car in Tralee, dark colored Alfa GT 1.9JTD?
    I be the owner of the bright eyeblinding green Seat Ibiza.

Yep - that's me alright. Oh yes I saw your Ibiza on Cruise IRL - very tastefully done too.:cool:

Don't like parking the GT in Tralee though in case its gets dented - I usually potter around in my red VW Caddy van :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

SNOWSCORPION quoted: "the thread is getting so long now it's getting tough to go back and find stuff".. I am finding the same thing happening.

One of the houses was my mothers and the other was mine, they are a couple of houses apart. Thanks to RIDERONTHESTORM for the images.

In regards to the color on the Garda Station, looks like McKennas had a sale on blue. Anyway it probably looks better than when ALFASUDCRAZY was there.

Glad to say I was never an 'overnite guest' there .

that station is some colour a'right! It looks good, though. They are a nice bunch in there. We have been in there a couple of times (get passport, hand in purse my kids found) and always get friendly reception. I guess thats because I went there under my steam. Might be different if I was being brought there. During the summer, these boys (and girls!) are kept fairly busy!! But I think they like the contrast between winter and summer....the highs and lows, I guess.

During winter (during evening walk with dog) I spotted a couple of mobile homes that had windows and doors open, so I inwestigated. Looked like someone was just dossing down, or looking for place to drink a few cans. So I called the gardas and a very nice (young!) man called by within the hour and I got in the squad car and directed him to the mobile. I said I had never been in squadcar before, and he said as long as I was in the front seat, I was all-right! lol
    anyway, I asked if he had been here (in ballyb) long, as I didnt recognise him, and he said he was here for 3 years! I am here 2 years!! I guess I have just never met him in an 'official' capacity! He was drafted in one summer to help with extra 'work' and he never went back! he loves it hear. Actually I heard simular story from 2nd guard a week later when another mobile was broken into and I did same again.

I dont want to make it sound like winter is free-for-all on mobiles here, but it does happen (is this coastal town version of kids drinking cider in the park? lol). But these were only 2 incidents in the 2 parks that I walk around in the evenings (I also know the owner of these parks, so I can be sure that they were the only incidents). Things get very lively here in summer!

Ooh, the Nine Daughters' Hole ...Rider, is there a fence up around that thing yet?.......As I remember it there were even a series of concentric paths along the edge of the thing.

Snow, there is a fence around the Hole now. They put up a fence along the whole of the Cliff Walk last year, and re-surfaced the path, and added a few benches along the far point of the walk, so you can have a sit and watch the sea. I dont remember concentric paths around the Hole.... but they may be there! There is def a path going to the hole, but thats all I remember. I will get a few pics when I am up there next.

The Ballybunion thread

By Snow Scorpion

April 25th 2006

The Ballybunion thread

By Snow Scorpion

April 25th 2006

cantbelieveit.gif I think the population of the village is about 1300 -- so everyone there has checked in about 6 timrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dazzler

Have not been to BB for years and no recollection of the place. So, went today with my wife and daughter.

Great beach, but OMG, the place was a ****hole.

Went for something quick to eat, to Hanrahans restaurant/ Country kitchen.

Don,t ever go. The place was filthy, food and service was appalling.

When I complained to the waitress, she just said, ''yeah I know'' !!!

There seemed to be a general level of apathy which permeates through the town. Which is a shame.

Won't be going again.

Dazzler wrote:
    Have not been to BB for years and no recollection of the place. So, went today with my wife and daughter.

Great beach, but OMG, the place was a ****hole.

Went for something quick to eat, to Hanrahans restaurant/ Country kitchen.

Don,t ever go. The place was filthy, food and service was appalling.

When I complained to the waitress, she just said, ''yeah I know'' !!!

There seemed to be a general level of apathy which permeates through the town. Which is a shame.

Won't be going again.

One bad experience and you give up on the whole town?

bigsad.gif

Ah well - you can't please all the people all the time I suppose :rolleyes:

Still it shows how fickle today's customers can be and how important small details can be for some. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Progen

Ah well - you can't please all the people all the time I suppose :rolleyes:

Still it shows how fickle today's customers can be and how important small details can be for some. ;)

He has a point though, alot of scumbags around to spoil everything drinking down there and fecking cans all over the place... Sure I suppose it goes with any town really.

Alfa: were you down for the Lakes Rally? I'd take it you were out in force trying to keep it cool - plenty of scumbags were round that night drinking.. kind of put me off and not want to be associated with anything to do with it..

I found Killarney guards the most friendly also.. Must write a letter to the super to say how pleased I was with them over the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dazzler

Progen, thanks for the support.

Alfa and Snow, maybe I didn't explain myself very well, but you guys maybe have rose tinted specticles about BB.

The problem I have with BB is the way it is wasting the natural advantages it has.

It has a world class golf course and beach. These are things many towns in Ireland would be thankful for. But, instead of capitalising on these unique selling points, the town has clearly stagnated and not made any investment in itself or the future. As a result you have the dump that is BB now.

There are so many other towns that cater for tourists far better, why bother to return? It is all about first impressions. If I am a typical cross section of society, then that does not bode well for the town.

But then again, if the town sorted itself out, where would all the undesirables go on holidays???:confused:

Advertisement