Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

:eek: Magpies!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

Magpies

Magpies (Gymnorhina tibicen) display aggressive territorial behaviour that makes them pests. All landowners in the Listowel /Ballybunion region are required to destroy this pest if a valid complaint is made.

Why magpies are pests

Magpies have a complex social system in which individual magpies may occur in non-territorial flocks or territorial pairs. Magpies defend their territory by SINGING , aggressive posturing and fighting. It is this aggressive territorial behaviour that makes magpies a pest.

Magpies attack when under the influence of drink, especially Powers . A recent study by DOON ROAD Research concluded that the cost of magpie aggression for other species is mostly a small 50-100 metre displacement. This is not a significant threat to other bird species, unless they are displaced from key feeding / drinking sites. Although magpies have been known to attack bartenders,, this is an insignificant threat compared to the problems imposed on our native birds by mammal pests.

This territorial behaviour is also a nuisance to local residents of Listowel and Ballybunion townlands.

Numerous reports have been received of magpies attacking, golfers ,children, cyclists, farmers and runners, horse dealers, punters and the like. These incidences increase during the Golfing season from early April through summer.

Identifying features
    Magpies are black and white in colour, with a body length between 5 foot to 7 foot . Their distinctive flute like call (quardle oodle ardle wardle doodle) is usually heard in the early morning or evening. They are often seen in flocks at the seaside , but may also been seen in pairs in the odd pub.

It is always wise to approach with extreme caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Cissy Macs shop:
    sta40396ayj5.jpg

Shortis Bar (yellow buildinmg to the left of Cissie Macs in prev post / pic)

sta40399cw0.jpg

the new playground (its a year or two old now)
    this is behind the Shortis bar in the prev pic (just go straight down the road in the pic and turn left!)
    sta40400nq2.jpg

The castle is just visable beside that wall. they seem close but are actually hundreds of yards apart.

• Advertisement

The World Fleadh this year will be held in Ballybunion.

extract from www.corkkerry.ie

A new seven day international festival which will premiere in August 2006 and will be staged in a custom built Fleadh Village at Ballybunion, Co Kerry, Ireland. It promises to become the biggest Irish and Celtic music event in Ireland.

The World Fleadh will comprise in excess of 30 theatre, marquee and outdoor concerts given by the most celebrated Irish traditional & contemporary performers in the world in addition to exclusive Irish performances given by a selection of the world’s greatest Celtic performers. Master classes & demonstrations will be provided by the top names in the Irish music business while there will be world title music, song and dance competitions, scheduled music sessions in up to 20 venues each day, 10 ceili’s and a plethora of fringe events for all ages and all tastes throughout the week.

Included in the artist lineup are La Bottine Souriante, Capercaillie, The Sharon Shannon Big Band, The Michael McGoldrick Band, Solas, 4 Men and a Dog, Micheál Ó'Súilleabháin & Orchestra, Lunasa, The Frankie Gavin Band, Carlos Nunez, Eileen Ivers, Flook, Begley & Murray, Kila, Teada, Grada, Beoga & many more.

and from www.entertainment.ie

The inaugural World Fleadh takes place in Kerry between 14th and 20th August 2006. Set in a specially constructed festival village in Ballybunion over looking the Atlantic Ocean, the Irish and Celtic Music Festival will have a 550 seated theatre, 2 domes and an outdoor stage area which will accommodate up to 10,00 people. Included in the Irish and International guests are Gipsy Kings, The Waterboys, Carlos Nunez, Capercaillie, The Sharon Shannon Big Band, Aslan, Declan O'Rourke, John Spillane, Teada, Kila, Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin & Orchestra and many many more.

The closing ceremony will be on Aug 20th with a firework dispaly at midnight.

of course, you could always look at the official site for info! :-)

www.theworldfleadh.com

c008.gif More than I ever wanted to know about magpies, Rider!

I only mentioned them because as a kid whenever we drove past a group of nuns the adults in the car would begin discussing magpies. To this day whenever I see some nuns together out in the real world (that is, not in school or church) I immediately think "magpies."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Listowelmaeve

Thank you, Rider, for the beautiful pictures. Where else could you see a Playground where one can look out at the Atlantic Ocean, the Castle on the Green , and the expansive women's strand. Thanks also for the picture of Cissy Mac's shop. I remember it well. LISTOWELMAEVE:)

Great photos RIDERONTHESTORM.
    Hear you guys are having warm weather. Terrible heat here in Rhinebeck ,NY for last couple of days.
    Stay cool .

^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^/^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/^

Congrats to SNOWSCORPION:

Ballybunion Forum has now over 12,000 Views.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^^^^^^
    ^^^^^
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:D:D
    :D:D
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Just to let u all know I made a complete ass of myself last week. Took kids/dogs to Ballybunnion beach which we love. Had sciatica at the time (I am far 2 young to have sciatica really as you can guess from my username).

Parked by said playground but fell over/down a kerb & ended up flat on my ass on the ground. Shouted at dog cos it made me feel better & didn't want tourists to thing I was drunk (only 11am).

Ballybunnion beach is great, I run a small B&B in Newmarket, Co. Cork & I wish I lived closer as I would go there every day. Love the cliffs with the seabirds, the clear rockpools and the lack of pebbles/stones. Don't love the girls with shiny bikinis that look like tinfoil who think they are gods gift but thats another story.

Julie
    www.enjoy-our-hospitality.com

Welcome to the thread,... um .... er .... what do we call you? :o

"Jugs" seems inappropriate somehow. :o:o

But since we're being inappropriate, would asking for a pic seem out of line? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

I can be very inappropriate given half a chance !

I could send u a pic no problem, would love to post one but not sure if the moderaters would be 2 happy. Would sure cheer a few guys up on a miserable damp day like 2day though ;)

Julie

SNOW, these are are a pair I saw in Listowel. They were last seen at The Three Mermaids ( known to the locals as the "SIX T*TS") bar/ restaurant.
    So look no further than North Kerry when you want quality and quan'tit'y.

13bd3470nk2.jpg

Welcome to the thread,... um .... er .... what do we call you? :o

"Jugs" seems inappropriate somehow. :o:o

But since we're being inappropriate, would asking for a pic seem out of line? :D

Just to let u all know I made a complete ass of myself last week. Took kids/dogs to Ballybunnion beach which we love. Had sciatica at the time (I am far 2 young to have sciatica really as you can guess from my username).

Parked by said playground but fell over/down a kerb & ended up flat on my ass on the ground. Shouted at dog cos it made me feel better & didn't want tourists to thing I was drunk (only 11am).

Ballybunnion beach is great, I run a small B&B in Newmarket, Co. Cork & I wish I lived closer as I would go there every day. Love the cliffs with the seabirds, the clear rockpools and the lack of pebbles/stones. Don't love the girls with shiny bikinis that look like tinfoil who think they are gods gift but thats another story.

Julie

J,
    great website and wonderful location.Hope business is brisk.
    Sandhillroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Hickey's

Snowscorpion, another view towards Doon

cliffrd1ce.jpg
    What you are looking at is Cliff Road.

Well, the Bachelor Festival came and went .... it was quick! It used to be a longer affair, but for the last few years it starts on Wed and finishes on Sun! I am sorry to say that I missed it all! It was poorly advertised (posters and banners going up the day after it started! that a great way to get tourists into the town, eh?) .... and due to illness I did not get out to take pics.

*hand on heart*
    I PROMISE TO GET SOME THIS WEEKEND!

....any requests?
    ....and 'no', I will not get pics of the sexiest person in Ballyb! She has gotten a court order baring me from doing that again! lol
    I hope your not talking about my sister. lmao

Welcome to HICKEY'S.
    How are the crowds in Ballybunion, this year?
    Hear you are having very fine weather.
    Hot, Hot and humid , here outside New York City.
    Any thing about the new hotel, where the Castle hotel was ?

I'm glad to hear that. I feel a lot easier now knowing I'm not being a pest. :)

Oh, Ok. I was thinking maybe you had to park the car on the yellow lines. If your car was not touching the lines you get a ticket. (Over here, you can't be more than 12 inches from the curb or you get a ticket.)

Yeah, finding a parking space in Ballybunion is not very hard most of the time. (Although I remember going to 11:00 Mass Sunday mornings; we usually had to park on the church's front lawn.)

When I was a kid, I always loved the way the cars were parked in Ireland: sometimes face-to-face, sometimes back-to-back. I'm glad to see you still do things that way.

I was looking at picture no. 8 before I went to bed last night and for the life of me I couldn't figure out where the centre might be. I don't remember a lot about the size of the bus stop. I do remember the chip van that was at the left side of the entrance. I used to get Denny's sausages there for 4p each.

An Irishman who doesn't drink? Thank God I'm not the only one. :p

I checked my passport. I was last in Ballybunion in 1978.

:D Hey, watch it, Sarge! I drive a Corolla.

I have to go run a few errands and then I have some more questions about the rest of the pictures.

Talk to you soon, alfa.

If you were a Garda in BB,you must have heard of the great John Morgan.and Eddie Connor. St Molone.

Welcome to HICKEY'S.
    How are the crowds in Ballybunion, this year?
    Hear you are having very fine weather.
    Hot, Hot and humid , here outside New York City.
    Any thing about the new hotel, where the Castle hotel was ?
    I am in NJ. Left BB 18 yrs ago

• Advertisement

Somewhere in Ballybunion, but I'll be damned if I can figure out where

whereisthis4xz.th.png

Thats the view heading down to the Mens Strand.

Hickey's wrote:
    I am in NJ. Left BB 18 yrs ago
    #############################

I guess RIDERONTHESTORM will have to answer my questions, when he is feeling better.

HICKEY'S: have you been back lately to BallyB ? Haven't been back myself since 1999.
    There have been great early and up-to-date photos provided throughout this Ballybunion Forum.

Hey! Another new kid in school!

Welcome to the thread, Hickey's. c012.gif

Looks like jugs has forgotten us already. c021.gif

Well, to be fair, it does take a while to get into the habit of coming here regularly.

Sounds like it would have been a great summer to be back in the old country. I saw on Out of Ireland that farmers are wishing for rain!

Congratulations to Brenda Woulfe on the opening of her new bookshop, in Listowel.

www.woulfesbookshop.ie/

:):)

7 minutes of video of the Tinteán Theatre in Ballybunion (courtesy of the good folks at RTE.)

Just click on the little blue television icon right below "New theatre in Ballybunion" at http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0609/nationwide.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Listowelmaeve

Thank you, Snow Scorpion, for the information about the Tintean Theatre video. I had not heard about it and I'm so pleased. Can someone tell me exactly where in Ballybunion it is located? Thank you. LISTOWELMAEVE:) :)

Maeve, I think the theater is on Church Road a little northwest of Scanlan's supermarket.

(But I might be wrong about that. :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Paddy Camus

Mighty place - down opposite where the East End nite club used to be.

http://www.tintean.com

a102.gif

from Radio Kerry's Daily News section:
    Tuesday 08th of August 2006 04:17 pm
    Gardai arrest almost 30 people in Ballybunion

There were almost 30 public order arrests in Ballybunion over the Bank Holiday weekend. This compares with a total of 12 in Tralee and 6 in Killarney on Saturday and Sunday night. Large crowds descended on the seaside town for the long weekend. Gardai say the number arrested was well above the number for the same weekend last year. The arrests, 15 on Saturday night and 13 on Sunday were for fighting and drunken behaviour.

• Advertisement

+
    +
    +
    +
    13 Grand !!
    +
    +
    +
    +

Advertisement