Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

here is a pic of main street ballybunion..... I have taken the pic from same approx position as the 1940s shot (see post 408, on page 21) that was previously posted. my shot was taken yesterday evening so apologies for the long shadows...... ps, can you guess which one is mine? lol

If you want to play spot the difference, then download this pic and the one on page 21 and see how the town has changed.... and not changed too!

ballybunion20064ys.jpg

The left shadow, are you holding the camera high ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

hi Snow. I am so glad you enjoyed the pics! I will take more over the next few days and post them here. I will go up the Listowel and Upper road a bit and take a few shots..... the different angle may give be of benefit to you. Dont forget to mention any requests!!!

That would be great! I really liked that one you took with your back to the Listowel road and looking into the village. (The "Welcome to Ballybunion" sign on the side of that house is new to me.) Whenever I came walking into town it was usually by way of the upper road. It would be grand to see that angle again.

That optical illusiuon house is not mine, but it is quite famous around here. People are always taking pics of it. I believe it has been thus decorated for years and years! Was it same when you lived here?

I can't say I remember seeing it. (And I can't imagine how I'd ever forget it. :D ) None of the neighbors complain about it? There are some neighborhoods over here that would raise holy hell about property values and such if someone painted their house like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

The left shadow, are you holding the camera high ?:confused:

no, i am the shadow to the right of that.... the long shadow going up the footpath! I am standing on the wall leaning on the telephone pole.....

the shadow to the left is my son :-)

The "Welcome to Ballybunion" sign on the side of that house is new to me

Not sure when that went up.... its been there for a few years at least. In case you cant make it out, there is a surfer, a golfer, and a Kerry football player shrugging off a Cork football player :)

Can you see infront of that sign / mural, there is a small garden / flower-bed with plants that spell out 'Welcome to Ballybunion'? It will be clearer in the summer when they flower.

I can't say I remember seeing it. (And I can't imagine how I'd ever forget it. :D )

No, you wound not forget that house! I am sure it has been there for decades! My mother-in-law says it was always painted like that..... ever since she was visiting Ballyb as a young girl! I will check up on it.

For more pictures of Listowel Horse Fair of April 2006 trot along over to the Listowel Forum.

1057152943050bg0ge.jpg

• Advertisement

Rider on the storm:
    Any chance of photos of the locals ( over 50s) as they walk around, before the 'season' sets in . Tell them it's for a good cause..
    Also any chance of a photo of Hellards and Restaurant next door ?
    How far down Sandhill Rd do you walk ?
    Thanks for the other images.

I'll do my best Sandhill, to get pics of locals. Next week is Easter, so the town will become busier..... but I think I will be able to get some this week.

Also, a pic of Hellards & Restaurant is no prob! Are they friends of yours? We are renting a house very near to their home and we are on a nodding aquaintance with them.

We vary our walks most evenings, and often walk along Sandhill road to the beginning of the Green Acres caravan park (about half way along the Old golf course...to where that house is all alone in the middle of the golf course!). Usually we walk around town and sometimes take in a beach walk too! I love this place! Every walk is different!!!

I'll do my best Sandhill, to get pics of locals. Next week is Easter, so the town will become busier..... but I think I will be able to get some this week.

Also, a pic of Hellards & Restaurant is no prob! Are they friends of yours? We are renting a house very near to their home and we are on a nodding aquaintance with them.

We vary our walks most evenings, and often walk along Sandhill road to the beginning of the Green Acres caravan park (about half way along the Old golf course...to where that house is all alone in the middle of the golf course!). Usually we walk around town and sometimes take in a beach walk too! I love this place! Every walk is different!!!
    Hello Rider on the Storm, check your mailbox.
    I have sent you some email.
    regards,
    Sandhillroad

HIP,HIP,HORRAY
    Congrats to SNOWSCORPION:
    over 8000 views for the Ballybunion Forum !!

HIP,HIP,HORRAY
    Congrats to SNOWSCORPION:
    over 8000 views for the Ballybunion Forum !!

I've noticed. Is it just my imagination or are the views coming faster than they used to be?

• Advertisement

QUOTE=snow scorpion]I've noticed. Is it just my imagination or are the views coming faster than they used to be?[/QUOTE]
    They are
    movingeye7kq7ro.gifmovingeye7kq7ro.gif

when we are asleep.

movingeye7kq7ro.gifmovingeye7kq7ro.gifmovingeye7kq7ro.gifmovingeye7kq7ro.gif.movingeye7kq7ro.gifmovingeye7kq7ro.gifmovingeye7kq7ro.gifmovingeye7kq7ro.gif
    Here is looking at you too

Is anyone else reading this? It's quite entertaining.

Sandhill, I hope this is the place...
    sta403125dj.jpg

another one from that road, looking east to a farm building

sta403245au.jpg

Sandhill, I hope this is the place...
    sta403125dj.jpg

It most certainly is! c013.gif

That picture has been in my head for more than 20 years, and now there it is in front of my eyes.

Thank you, Rider, so very much.

I know it's just another road to everyone else, but it means more to me than I can say.

I'm already thinking about getting that pic blown up to poster size.

another one from that road, looking east to a farm building

sta403245au.jpg

You did perfect, Rider! Absolutely perfect.

smlchk.gif

I'm going to be staring at that like an idiot for a long time to come.

irish2020main20street20in20bal.jpg
    I was in Ballybunion 20 years ago and have happy memories of the village.

I'd love to hear what it's like today and how much it has changed.

The only recent picture I've seen on the world wide interweb is this:

________---___________

SNOWSCORPION:
    Things have come a long way since your first question.
    Hope we again will soon hear from AERO,ALFA, REIC, CHERRYTREE etc .
    Thanks,
    SANDHILLROAD

________---___________

SNOWSCORPION:
    Things have come a long way since your first question.
    Hope we again will soon hear from AERO,ALFA, REIC, CHERRYTREE etc .
    Thanks,
    SANDHILLROAD

I was thinking about that the other day. Wait until they see what Rider has brought to the party! :D

pics of Sandhill road (the place, not the person!) will be posted here soon (tomorrow? day after?)

News about town:
    Tintean Theatre is presenting An Coleen Bawn, starting this weekend and running all week. I will try and get a few pics.
    the timetable for events in the theatre is quite full! some very big names (sharron shannon, waterboys, paul brady, etc) are lined up for the summer. And the World Fleadh will be hosted for the first time this year in...... wait for it ..... Ballybunion! Looks like it will be real busy here for the summer!

• Advertisement

News about town:
    Tintean Theatre is presenting An Coleen Bawn, starting this weekend and running all week. I will try and get a few pics.
    the timetable for events in the theatre is quite full!

Monday 22nd May - Saturday 27th May (6 nights) @ 8pm
    The Matchmaker by John B Keane

The movie The Matchmaker IMDB link here was on TV last night - with Janeane Garofalo & David O'Hara. Is it related to Keane play in any way?

The movie The Matchmaker was on TV last night - with Janeane Garofalo & David O'Hara. Is it related to Keane play in any way?

sorry Snow, I have no idea. Never seen the film. Did you get the emails?

sorry Snow, I have no idea. Never seen the film. Did you get the emails?

GMail is temporarily down. :mad:

And now the suspense is driving me mad. :D

GMail is temporarily down. :mad:

ah .... bummer ..... at least you have something to look forward to, Snow!

by the way,

Does anyone know anyone who would be willing to sell 0.5 acre in the Ballybunion area, so I can build a house on it?

please keep me in mind :-)

Sandhill, I will def. get pics of Sandhill Road this weekend. Watch this space!!!

movingeye1rl.gifmovingeye1rl.gif

Sandhill, I will def. get pics of Sandhill Road this weekend. Watch this space!!!

movingeye1rl.gifmovingeye1rl.gif

Mine too! :)

I 'll take the night watch, if you take the day watch, Then we won't miss a thing.
    movingeye7kq7ro2pl.gifmovingeye7kq7ro2pl.gif

movingeye7kq7ro2pl.gifmovingeye7kq7ro2pl.gif

We 'll nab them at the Grotto !

• Advertisement

from the movie Silverado

Emmett [:eek:] runs up to Baxter and Dawson while under fire from the "posse"
    Baxter: Brave man!
    Dawson: (suspicious of Emmett): I think there's just a couple o' guys up there and this asshole is one of them!

Advertisement