Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring a 3-bed-semi....various costs please??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

On the issue of interference.........should I consider using fibre-optic, which I understand is not prone to interference? Or does it have limitations?

If not, how far from electrical cables would CAT5 have to be in order to avoid interference?

Thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Dinarius wrote:
    On the issue of interference.........should I consider using fibre-optic, which I understand is not prone to interference? Or does it have limitations?

If not, how far from electrical cables would CAT5 have to be in order to avoid interference?

Thanks.

D.

Gamer obviously thinks WIFI and general wireless devices are great and he is more than welcome to his opinion.
    Interference is possible with power cable and non powered cables like TV cables and cat 5. If you hire an electrician they know this and they will put them seperate. It's not a huge distance either way maybe a foot and it's only on the runs not the connection. From my proffesional experience with wireless technolgy I can tell you that many, many things can disrupt the signals. If you put in underfloor heating forget it and as mention foil backed insulated plaster board will also destroy your signal.
    Wireless stuff also have to use transformers to get the DC current and these things while not dangerous as such it is never advisable to leave them plugged in. In saying all that I have a Cat 5 network in my house and I don't use it that much and probably not great use of money. I hope to use it more but I think I could have spent my money better.
    When dealing with the electrician you really need to be very clear before the quote and check on the work daily at the least but I would suggest twice. If the electrician gets snotty about it do it more because he is probably hiding something. There should be no wires showing with the slight exception of an alarm system connectors but I'd say 90-95% of wires should be hidden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I've never had a problem with my wifi through a foil backed plasterboard. I can stream video from the web or my other PC no problem. Its not as quick as a wired solution, but a lot less expensive. Is it quick enough?

Why is using DC transformers a problem? Generally I don't leave anything turned on but I know people who do and its common enough in offices.

What sort of data loss is all this "interference" causing? Usually they wire sockets, phone lines and quite often data cables together. Obviously it not deal but I've never noticed a significant problem in any office I've ever used.

The only place I've had a problem with interference was when when next doors salon fired up their sun beds, it used to cause interference on the monitors through the AC. But that said networking is not something I'm usually involved so maybe its common enough if you are. We also had very thick walls in that office and wifi wasn't stong enough through them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I suggest u run 1 cat5 cable just to connect router broadband from downstairs to 1st floor.no need to run optic fibre,,just make sure tv cable is at least 4foot from main esb ducts ,u can just run tv cable under floorboards no need for ducts,or else get white cable and clip it to skirtboards on top,of skirting,theres half inch space.i,ve run loadsa tv cables ,no problem, just dont run em along parallel to esb cables.i just think setting up a whole cat5 network is OVERKILL ,for a 3 bed or 4bed ,,unless u,ve got like 6pcs in your house.a trick is run tv cable outside into window to tv box,,and bring it into window frame or drill small hole ,in room where 2nd or third tv is located.then use splitter box to run cable to 3rd tv,split signal in 2.paint tv cable same color as wall ,or use cable ties to run it under gutter.make sure 1 person is at bottom of ladder to hold it ,safe.i agree there can be problems with wifi ,its not designed to go thru thick walls.I thought the point of wifi is people dont need cat5 cables everywhere.you are not allowed to put anyother cable inside esb ducting.

80percent of ducting should be hidden,depends if there is plaster on walls old houses sometimes have solid walls,ducts have to ,trenched into wall,or else run surface ducts to lightswitchs,u have to specify be4 quote,,i want 90percent of ducting hidden,in walls plaster or underfloorboards.say gaff has 10 windows budget 450e per window for new double glazing to be installed. old style esb wiring was basically they just run cables underfloorboards thru holes ,,no ducting at all,,no earthing to mcb,fuseboard.main cables run from downstairs to upstairs thru wall cavity.make sure get proper RECEIPTS , for all esb work done,,dont pay ,cash,say i WILL NEED to see reciepts before i pay for work done.your reciept is your gaurantee,,re quality of work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I've never had a problem with my wifi through a foil backed plasterboard. I can stream video from the web or my other PC no problem. Its not as quick as a wired solution, but a lot less expensive. Is it quick enough?
    I did say foiled insulated plasterboard but it does depend on more than one wall and distance. We tested many wireless connections for a client installation. Wireless connections with heavy loads failed 5-20% of the time they were on depending on equipment. Probably fine for home use. THe point is if you are wiring anyway it's not a huge cost
    Why is using DC transformers a problem? Generally I don't leave anything turned on but I know people who do and its common enough in offices.
    Transformers can easily overheat. They can also be very dangerous if they get damaged. Think as them as dangerous as a letting somebody smoke in your house. The problem with them is people forget about them and leave them on for a year with power constantly running.
    What sort of data loss is all this "interference" causing? Usually they wire sockets, phone lines and quite often data cables together. Obviously it not deal but I've never noticed a significant problem in any office I've ever used.
    Just plain signal breaks. Interference can cause the signal to be disrupted meaning you lose connection and miss part of a song or game move doesn't move the character.

The best solution is a mix. A few Cat5 points where you might need them. Like beside the TV, where a PC might be etc. The point is everywhere you want a phone you might as well put in an extra point once that starts you normally cover each room.
    If is an older house an electrician probably won't put in much conduit. Save your money on CAT 5 and get them to hide everything. If an electrician left 20% of conduit/wiring showing I wouldn't pay him. Not sure why anybody would unless they were doing a cheap job but I would expect the price to be radically cheaper. Any tradeperson will take the easy route if you don't specify the finish required,watch everything and check it all before paying.

Another question..........

I understand that the maximum square footage allowed without planning permission 40 sq. mtrs.

1. Is this actual internal floor area? Or does it include the thickness of the walls?

2. Can the 40 sq.mtrs. be over two stories without permission?

3. Is it correct that the maximum allowed for a garden structure (e.g. a home office) is 25 sq. mtrs?

Thanks.

D.

i think it has to BE UNDER 40 SQUARE METERS,IN SIZE,make it 39square meters to be on the safe side.u also have to leave a certain amount of empty space in the garden.look on council website planning 4 more detailed info.fingal office swords reception has small booklet on applying for planning permission.with details etc.

i think that includes the walls bricks everything,,u also have to be very careful re building over,waterpipes or sewers,theres nuthing to stop u building 25sq meter office or a 39sqr meter office ,but u have to leave at least 25 square meters at rear of garden vacant,ground floor windows cannot be less than 1meter from boundary edge,ie wall or fence or LEGAL BOUNDARY,edge of your land.go google search planning permission exemption ireland ,4 more info.

rules say, quote, DOES NOT increase the original floor area of the house by 4osqr meters,endquote,1st floor windows have 2 be at least 8meters from boundary.

• Advertisement

i dont think thers any special rules re garden structure,apart from rules i have quoted above,in last 3posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

All the ducting should be hidden if done by any half decent electrician. The walls will be chased fos this. It's not that much harder or too expensive for the electrician to put in the cat 5 cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Lads,

What's a WiFi ? and What's a cat 5 ?

Be careful about building commercial offices on property zoned residential I had my run in's with the planners when I ran a business from home.

They were happy to see 15 men made unemployed over a silly use of a room in the house as an office and a side section as a stores.

Bear in mind this was my home so nothing was left out the front, they did have an objection to two vans and a truck with the family car parked in the driveway.

Ever since I don't take chances with those gents ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dinarius wrote:
    I think it will go over 800k.
    Holy Jesus on a stick. 800K for a 3-bed semi-d? Is there buried treasure in the back garden?

If you don't mind me asking, where roughly is it? It there any land involved? 800k sounds looney.

Myself, I'd reckon €60K to €80. Only do it yourself if you still want to be living in a building site in four years time with a very p*ssed off spouse.

Oh, and good look getting anyone even half-competant - plumber, plasterer, whatever.

But I just had a brainwave....why don't you get a Polish crew over for a month? Four guys, stick them up somewhere, pay for the materials yourself, 10K for 4-6 weeks work. You happy. Them happy. Spouse happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

no land other than 30ft gardens, mount merrion, blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Holy Jesus on a stick. 800K for a 3-bed semi-d? Is there buried treasure in the back garden?.

Yeah its Martin Cahill old house. :D

Hey Dublin Writer,

I resemble that remark :) Y'all has bin too price concious I only employ the best why should I bother with less ?

The Customer is paying and the Customer gets what they pay for ;)

Still know nothin about WiFi or Cat 5.

rooferPete wrote:

What's a WiFi ? and What's a cat 5 ?

Be careful about building commercial offices on property zoned residential I had my run in's with the planners when I ran a business from home.

Cat5 is cabling for computers etc.....

Read about it here>

http://www.lanshack.com/cat5e-tutorial.asp

WiFi is wireless connectivity for computer broadband, music etc......

On your point about the planners and home offices.......how come the likes of Shomera advertize the use of their buildings as home offices?

Is it because you have to apply for planning to use them as such?

Or is it because they're not part of the actual house and are therefore exempt?

Ta.

D.

By, the way €800k for a three bed semi is nuts, of course, but this has already been discussed on this thread. It depends on where you want to live. Also, when the proverbial eventually hits the fan, it's the well located houses that will retain most, if not all, of their value; not the badly located ones.

Lastly, if you're selling in order to buy then, pro rata, you're getting an equally crazy price for your old house. So, where's the problem? This market is only really impossible for those trying to enter it for the first time.

this is 800 grand guide, so will go for 900+k http://194.46.8.213/search/property.asp?id=236882
    not too impressive tbh, its cheaper buying a house 10 miles away in the wrong direction and commuting, anyway most of those schools in the southside blackrock areas are overrated and full of dope.

and i disagree that these house will retain their value if the stuff hits the fan. what will retain their value is large houses with large amounts of land with close commuter links to dublin like dart/luas etc.

Hi Dinarius,

Thank You, I thought I might be still in the stone age for a while, we have what appears to be Cat 5 and no problems at either location ;)

Regarding your choice of property or location that you wish to purchase I certainly was not being critical of your choice, I have no doubt you have checked the area and are happy with your decision.

I wish you every happiness in your new home and a good return should you ever wish to sell.

Regarding the offices, I have not see the terms and conditions in the sales brochure for that or any other company.

We do have a fairly line in all proposals that goes something like this, The client or their advisors are responsible to ensure all development / alterations are in compliance with the Planning Acts Building Regulations and any listings pertaining to the property.

In theory we will put it on upside down if you instruct us to in writing, but we are not responsible if your instructions contravene any of the regulations.

I'm not trying to be a smart azz by including that clause, you would be surprised how many people have changed their mind and stayed within the regulations when they realise they are 100% reponsible if the authorities start to enforce the rules.

That is why I recommend people to obtain the best advice available, if in doubt check it out ;)

• Advertisement

What defines a building office? Lots of self employed people or teleworkers work from in Shomera type buildings. What the position there?

What defines a building office? Lots of self employed people or teleworkers work from in Shomera type buildings.

Indeed, they do.

Also, there are many doctors/solicitors/architects/journalists etc...who work from within their home, and the only evidence of their existence is the plaque on the pillar outside.

Not all of them apply for change of use either. I know that my solicitor hasn't.

If you apply for change of use, there is a tax right-off. However, if you ever sell the house, part of it will be liable for capital gains tax and VAT. So, you have to decide carefully.

If I set up a home/office situation, I haven't decided yet which option I will take.

Anyone come across Woodcraft? Just came upon them yesterday doing a search in the Golden Pages.

This model, the Opus, looks VERY smooth............

http://www.woodcrafthomes.com/opus.htm

On first glance, a lot more appealing to me than the more traditional Shomera designs.

Conveniently, they are located in the same general direction as Shomera.

D.

Looks nice and modern alright

Even if u build exempt extension office ,it still needs to be IN COMPLIANCE with building regulations otherwise you will have problems selling in future,, if u put part of building down as your homeoffice buisness premises ,,u can claim SIGNIFICANT TAX allowances every year re,maintenance,heating,esb, phone calls etc,,prog on rte today,,says doctors can no longer just buy house ,,and turn ground floor into waiting room, surgery,,cos of STRICT PLANNING REGULATIONS,they now have to rent or buy office building and pay commercial rates.my advice is go see accountant before u start building office,they only charge 60euro for a half hour meeting.But there are plenty of people who run a business from home office.

Hi Richardo,

I think the Shomara type offices are working on the basis that they are a temporary structure, I'm not 100% sure on that but it match with the type of buildings.

There used to be a rule in the planning laws that one room in the house could be used as a home office, I do know that when they were enforcing the rules in my case nothing was exempt.

The fun part was I took a call after 7 on evening from the planning officer, he was adamant I could not use my home for business, I asked where he was calling from as his office closed at 5.

He told me he was calling from home to fit in with my schedule, he wasn't impressed when I told him I regarded his call to me as a business call, that meant he was breaking the planning laws and forcing me to do the same as I regarded my conversation business related :)

Ah yes the good old days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

There are certain professions that are allowed to work from home. A Doctor is one of them.

I think thats changing though? in the uk to start a new practice a office needs to be disability compliant with d c toilets/stairlifts and parking with turning room. not sure wha the deal is here but i dont think its professional for a doctor/dentist to see patients in a house.

gamer wrote:
    Even if u build exempt extension office ,it still needs to be IN COMPLIANCE with building regulations otherwise you will have problems selling in future,,

I can assure you that anything I put up will conform with regs. You know the old cliche, "The day you buy is the day you sell." (i.e. would the price/location/design/build quality be resaleable?). Same applies to construciton, in my opinion.

if u put part of building down as your homeoffice buisness premises ,,u can claim SIGNIFICANT TAX allowances every year re,maintenance,heating,esb, phone calls etc,,

Yes, I know. But, you are also liable for rates, water charges etc.... If you don't, you can still claim a phone/heat/light allowance. All you miss is not writing off a chunk of your house mortgage against rent back of the room(s) you are using. And even then, that room(s) will still be liable for CGT and VAT if you sell the house, as I have already said. For me, it wouldn't be worth it. In any case, I will probably build seperately from the house.

D.

can i ask did u get your solicitor to examine the contracts before the sale and do a full search including planning and titles?i have come to the conclusion buying at auction is unviable unless u spend a grand before hand on surverys and solicitors fees and theres no gaurantee ul even get it.
    the very fact that u have to sign contracts on the day is insane really without so much as a condition that its subject to searches being satisfactory. i reakon its like buying a car at auction after researching it.......
    i think yer man sending his solicitor to bid was a wise move in some ways if he wanted it which he obviously did.

• Advertisement

Of course I had my solicitor look at the title beforehand. One would be crazy not to.

The system in this country is stacked entirely in favour of the seller. But, given that our constitution treats land ownership as a divine right, that is unlikely to change.

The upside of this is that the buyer is usually getting what he thinks he's getting in terms of ownership. After all, how often have you read of titles being disputed in the courts after a sale? I never have.

On the other hand, condition is another question entirely, given the atrocious building standards that prevail here. I often think that our temperate climate is our greatest enemy. A Scandinavian or North American climate would have obliged us to build properly from the word go. Pity.

D.

ps.....Someone suggested that I install a Thorsman system when rewiring the house. It can handle all forms of data. Anyone got any experience of them?

Advertisement