Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring a 3-bed-semi....various costs please??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

FX Meister wrote:
    It is a quiet area Lomb, parking isn't a problem and it's close to bus routes and to town. As for Saggart, I wouldn't live there for any money you could offer. Terrible traffic problems that are only going to get worse with all the developments serviced by that stretch of road.

well all i am sayiing is u wont get any change out of 1 million by the time u have paid stamp duty,and repaired it. when u think about it 1 million is alot for a semi detached house around 1300 square foot. i dont think there is any value in it personally and u always in life need to look for value. and it is out there if u look hard enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Ahh yeah I dig what you are saying. But to some people being close to the city is worth what they want to pay. I'm sure if you travel further than Saggart you can find nicer houses that cost less than Saggart but are better. I do understand what you are saying and agree with you to a certain extent.
    As for the house on Dargle Road, I spoke to an agent from Sherry Fitz today while viewing another house and she said that it's been sold for €620,000.

well most jobs arent even in the city they are in the suburbs like blanch and city west etc. and as far as schools and that go it is true most people prefer to live close to good schools like in blackrock etc. also people prefer to livwe in areas familiar to them and obviously saggart isnt a familiar area to many....

mad m wrote:
    Mad money....Abolish stamp duty!!!!

why, it bring in cash for the exchequer. if it was removed the prices would rise again by 9%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

lomb wrote:
    lunatic money for a pit isnt it! and i dont even think its a 'good location' id value that at 350-400, not 650. as i say saggart is looking good :)

the problem is they are going on a 'per sq foot' basis now. desirable properties are easily getting 600 euro a sqare foot. thing is no one is factoring the value of seclusion, land, views, and class.

if u bought that house u would be sucking diesel fumes all day, u could hear ur neigbours, front garden would be non existant, parking the car well thats a problem! 650 for that no thanks, its amazing that that is the going rate. truely amazing......

I know that area quite well,directly across the road from that house is a 40 ft stone wall that makes for as less than intersting view!in addition,matches in croke park make the whole area seize up with vehicle traffic and gangs of noisy,drunken fools for the entire day.A walk to town will take the best part of half an hour as well and if you want to drive,be prepared to bve stuck in the worst traffic on the northside as its still fouled up due to port tunnel works.Its not worth half that money.

• Advertisement

Just wait till the let the soccer and rugby crowds in!
    The traffic isn't that bad on match days and it's only on the bigger ones anyway. There is a wall opposite the houses but it does block the view and noise for the apartments opposite. They are low houses anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Degsy wrote:
    ... and if you want to drive,be prepared to bve stuck in the worst traffic on the northside as its still fouled up due to port tunnel works.Its not worth half that money.
    This house was bought about 6 Mmonths ago at what seemed like the bad price of €317k when it was a 3 bed. Now it is a 2 bed and new kitchen,bathroom and general tidy up. Parnell Park is accross the road along with a large church(ringing bells),community centre and taxi rank. I heard the community centre now gives out methadone but I am not convinced. And it is a main road where a bus goes right by your door.

http://www1.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=231629&p=6&rt=search&searchlist=

Mean while down the road closer to the DART station and Kilester Village and below the stamp duty threshold for many people. For €295k ($50k less than other one) you get off the main road and have a nice green just outside the door.

http://www1.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=233787&p=3&rt=search&searchlist=

I just don't get how there is value for the extra money

FX Meister wrote:
    Just wait till the let the soccer and rugby crowds in!
    The traffic isn't that bad on match days and it's only on the bigger ones anyway. There is a wall opposite the houses but it does block the view and noise for the apartments opposite. They are low houses anyway.

The area behind that house is bedsit city with more and more owners selling out to developers who are turning the properties into flats.There is a growing asylum seeker population in the immediate area which while it doesnt bother me is unlikely to do much for the future saleability of the property.The laneway to the left of the wall in front of the house leads to quinn's pub with its noisy throngs of students during the week and drunken gaa fans at the weekend.be prepared for the garden to be used as a toilet,a bin or the element of some drink-related 'game'.

They wouldn't get permission to turn a house on Carlingford Road into flats, and residents wouldn't let them get away with it illegally. That's not really the most convenient way to get to Quinns either so I wouldn't be too worried about their customers to be honest.

FX Meister wrote:
    They wouldn't get permission to turn a house on Carlingford Road into flats, and residents wouldn't let them get away with it illegally. That's not really the most convenient way to get to Quinns either so I wouldn't be too worried about their customers to be honest.

And what pricisely is so special about carlingford road?There is a house on the junction of hollybank road which was purcxhased by the government and turned into an asylum centre and the residents could do exactly nothing about it.Around the corner on drumcondra road,several properties have been sold as pre 63 investments in the last couple of years ALL of which will be turned into flats whether the residents like it or not.As these properties are sold they're being snapped up by investors and as we all know in this country 'money talks'.That area is gradually turning into a flea pit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Degsy,

It's been a while since I was down that way but I used to be around there almost every day at one time and we did work on a lot of the houses too.

The Pre 63 is exactly that, it is a property that was altered or converted prior to Planning Permission becoming law in 1963, therefore any of the houses being worked on are possibly being converted from bedsits to apartments or in some cases back to single family dwellings.

Pre 63 it was ok to turn every room in a house into a seperate living area sharing the same bathroom and toilet, extensions could be built without the neighbours having a say in the matter.

Carlingford Rd was a lovely area with very few if any Pre 63 properties on it, a real family road, Hollybank had a few Pre 63's but well managed, the bottom of Hollybank had an accountants office and then the Building society, the other side was a printers shop and a garage where second hand cars were sold so the Drumcondra Rd end was a bit commercial and I'm not just talking about yesterday ;)

A nice are all things considered, since the boom a lot of the property on Drumcondra Rd has been upgraded and turned back into nice homes, some funded by developing the large back gardens, but that's progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

I don't understand how people in Dublin can afford to pay these incredible prices.

I know, I wonder what kind of jobs they have. But for that price I'd want off street parking. There's a dude on Hollybank Road, Mid Terrace house and a 2 metre front garden and he parks his 04 BMW M3 on the road. Twice he's had the M badge ripped off the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

lomb wrote:
    why, it bring in cash for the exchequer. if it was removed the prices would rise again by 9%

Precisely!

Prices have risen strongly since March. Why? Because Cowan abolished stamp duty for first-time buyers in the December budget.

The result is buyers have more to spend on the house (remember that, strictly speaking, you cannot borrow the stamp duty). So, those selling receive more for their property and, as a result, spend more trading up.

This gradual 'trickel up' effect has taken a few months to kick in and what we are seeing now is the result of Cowan's stupidity.

Remember that the market will ALWAYS pay a multiple of what Joe and Jane Average earn, coupled with what it costs them to borrow the money. No more, no less.

So, whether Cowan takes 1%, 5% or 20% of that total is completely irrelevant. If it means more money for schools and hospitals then so be it. But, any talk of a reduction in stamp duty bringing about an easing of the property market is rubbish. (Of course, as we saw last week, the government squanders the money wholesale by lining the pockets of those it contracts. Fianna Fail is not known as the builders friend for nothing! But, that's another story.)

Another thing........it really is all about location.

I went to the auction of this house last week..........

http://www.mcnallyhandy.ie/scripts/details_pub.asp?propID=74&PType=&Page=1

We had it surveyed. Suffice to say the survery was a train wreck! The 'extension' (done by the previous owner in the sixties, who fancied himself as an architect, and his brother who was apparently a builder, if you can believe that!) needed to be demolished. But, it had great potential, outstanding location and a fabulous garden. So, we had it costed and figured about 150-175k to demolish and rebuild the extension. Therefore, we were willing to go to about 850k.

The bidding began at 650k. We sat back and watched as it rose and rose................

Eventually, only two bidders remained. The bids got smaller and it was sold for €1.112m!

Crazy!

The following day I called the auctioneer. He described what had happened and 'temporary insanity'. I agreed. Turns out that the guy who bought it wasn't even at the auction. He sent his solicitor. What's more, he hadn't had it surveyed! Incredible, but true.

But, what's even crazier is that the underbidders had had the house surveyed. So, what were THEY thinking??!!

Another house has just come up on the same road. Yet again, it's an executor's sale, but this time it's private treaty. It's on the other side of the road, which means that the garden faces north, so we have no interest. Price is €780k. I rang the auctioneer. He immediately brought up the sale of number 4. I left him in no doubt as to what had happened.......!

Still chasing the other house..............fingers crossed!

D.

That link didn't work for me, can you post it again?

http://www.mcnallyhandy.ie/scripts/details_pub.asp?propID=74&PType=&Page=1

if it doesnt work its 4 thornhill road mount merrion, do a search on mcnallyhandys website

can i ask how much the survey cost?

Just saw it. The extension looks really ugly.

in fairness even if u had got it for 850, it would have cost 150 to bring it up to spec. also another 75 in stamp duty.
    location does matter but blackrock is overrated tbh.
    for 750 u can get a fine house in rathcoole about 2000 sq foot on an acre and modern. the luas probably will extend to there in time and even if it doesnt the bus connections are many.
    i dont see alot of value in that and to be honest any subsequent property u chase like it, u wont get it for anything less than probably that went for. with property in order to get it, u need to keep bidding even to maddening levels, particularly if several people are interested in it. if u look at a myhome.ie map, literally there are very few properties for sale there in that area that arent flats.
    so my advice is look elsewhere. bray has excellent connections via the dart and is much more reasonable tbh, and is in that 'same' direction. best of luck house hunting :)

gregos wrote:
    I don't understand how people in Dublin can afford to pay these incredible prices.

the lotto :D nah, just hard work :D
    the secret is most people cannot afford them obviously, however at any one time there are very few properties up for sale. just look at a map at myhome.ie. there are very few houses for sale in blackrock and surrounds, hence if even 2 people can afford it and want it it drives up the cost.but the truth is the majority of irish people in dublin cant afford the house they live in......

• Advertisement

Are you building those houses in Rathcoole/Saggart? You seem to push them a lot. :D

nope, just thinking of buying :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

my advice get house rewired electrical ,3bed average cost afaik,5k to 6..get qoutes from 3 electricians ,registered with essa.electrical governing body,or reecci.trade body.in my experience self employed electricians cheaper than,companys,look at ads in northside people ,or yellow pages.look for reci,,or esssa in body of ad.get 3 quotes,,look at ad for ,line quotations free. its much cheaper to run wifi repeater system cat 5 cabling ducting is ugly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi gamer,

Very good advice, nothing like having the real numbers instead of guestimates, the RECI membership is possibly one of the best things to have happened for the Electical Industry at least everyone is qualified to do the job.

As far as free Estimates go there aren't many who will do a full survey on a property subject to auction or private treaty sale / puchase.

We don't but then again we never advertised free estimates, the day the nearest garage to the property is topping up diesel tanks free at their own expense is the day I will start giving my time away ;)

For pre purchase we charge a non refundable deposit, if the customer does buy the property or buy our services the amount paid is deducted from the final invoice, so I suppose in a way it's free but only to customers ;)

no need to do anything now,wait till u buy house.someone cud come in and outbid u unless u exchanged contracts already,with dlink wifi g cat 5 cable is reduntant 2 or three units will cover all the rooms,i wud say 7k max house 800sq ft.cud be lower,u need recci electrician or member essa to rewire and CERTIFY THE work otherwise esb will not acccept it as being carried out right,essa or recci member will give u 10 years gaurantee on work.i dont know IF u NEED cert from electrician if esb supply is connected at present.to duct and run cat 5 costs 1000s ,no point set up router and wifi system ,wifi cards only cost 40e approx,say 160e in total for wifi setup.u must specify to electrician u will NEED FULL RECEIPTS FOR all work carrried out ,quote must include materials and mcb fuseboard.consumer unit.

it only takes electrician 5 minutes to give estimate ,just looks at rooms ,no ,of sockets ,if old house um may need extra sockets ,each room should have at least 2 sockets ,get double 2 socket units,u will need earthing rod installed for new fuseboard unless theres a rod there already, old fuseboxs are not earthed.esb cables can be run on walls floor with ducting bout 1inch,easier to do,if U WANT most of esb cables installed inside walls or underneath floor boards u must SPECIFY this before u get quote.it looks better to have 70 percent of cables out of site but there will be sum ducting on walls at certain places eg going into mcb.get diy, book with electrical section from library for more information.if ur handy with diy u cud tell electrician i will lift up flloorboards and put em back when ur gone,, u only need to lift up boards along cable paths .

gamer wrote:
    its much cheaper to run wifi repeater system cat 5 cabling ducting is ugly expensive.

Thanks for the advice.

Could you expand a little on the above?

1. Wouldn't the ducting be hidden?

2. Can Wi-Fi do everything that CAT 5 can?

Thanks.

D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you are using foil lined plasterboard on internal walls then WiFi may be disappointing. Wifi is 54Mb half duplex shared between all devices downhill with the wind behind on a good day .. Cat 5 will give you full duplex 1,000Mb per device all the time, enough bandwidth to run multiple video channels. if you leave ducts with draw strings you could put fibre or 10Gb cable later on if you really needed. Don't forget to put TWO cables to all points.

Also run TV cable - same rules TWO cables and satellite grade copper foil lined rather than cheapo TV cable.

Thanks.

Yes, you're the second person to tell me to run two cables. Excellent advice.

I have used both wireless and ethernet cable broadband. The cable is much faster, in my experience, though I accept that Wi-Fi can be affected by many things.

Will TV cable stay the same or should I be installing some type of cable that will 'future proof' it? It seems to me that what's coming through the TV is in a constant state of advancement.

D.

• Advertisement

if u get dlink wifi card and dlink acess points u will get extra fast hi speed wifi,see dlink.com for more info /setup diagrams etc.dont forget u can get video senders with remote control extenders from argos or peats,works like wifi .compatible with sky digital or standard tv,i think fast g wifi can send upto 30megs per second ,your broadband connection is only 1meg or less per second.but if u run cat 5 ducting in plasterboard and do it yourself its cheap.u can get ducting with adhesive on back ,it just sticks to wall or floor,electricians use it ,color white.if u put tv or cat5 cable in esb ductwith 220volt cables ,you will probably get interference.u can get amp/repeater with dlink wap to extend the range of wifi signal.maybe u cud run 1 duct from ground floor to 1st floor just to link to router for pc2 or laptop. google wifi setup for more info.use samebrand wifi wap and wifi cards to get hispeed wifi..ie more than 10megs.at least you can run cat5 or video cable in same ducts if u wish. make sure get wiring quotes .ask WHERE EXACTLY DO you intend to put ducting for lights sockets ,inside walls under floorboards,or on surface mounted ducts .SPECIFY EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT.U CUD save money if u volunteeer to install your own ducting system,has to be 2inch ,,wide i think to hold 220volt cable.

Advertisement