Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap Fair city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

deelite wrote: »
    I hope Fair City stays on the television - main reason is this. Two years I noticed that from 7:00 a.m. to at least 3:00 p.m. RTE 1's television programmes consisted of approximately 70% imported programmes - with the exception of the News, Weather, (Wednesday Dail Q & A), Telly Bingo and an afternoon show. The imported shows were the likes of Hi-de-Hi and Dallas (they're the two shows that I can remember - but there was loads of others).

I did ring up RTE to ask why my TV licence money was being used to buy in ancient shows - they said they were catering for the "maturer audience". At least Fair City is home produced. I've never watched Ros Na Run but I will now.

It is cheaper to have repeats and bought in shows during these hours than to produce a morning show. TV3 do it since they invest most of their home budget into daytime TV and forget about prime where you find their LCD imported shows.

However the problem with soap opera is that it is on far too much and does take up an allot of RTÉ's, ITV's and BBC's budgets. I include The Bill, Holby City, Casulty etc as soap operas and not dramas. And the problem with soap opera is that it is on 5 nights a week in some cases, removing the chance of getting other types of drama.

Ros Na Run gets away with it since it is only on for 35 weeks for 2 nights, so TG4 refrain from making it their most important programme/drama of the year, while letting remain significant.

RTÉ put most of their home produced shows at Prime Time. I am kind of glad they don't waste money on Morning TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Elmo wrote: »
    It is cheaper to have repeats and bought in shows during these hours than to produce a morning show. TV3 do it since they invest most of their home budget into daytime TV and forget about prime where you find their LCD imported shows.

However the problem with soap opera is that it is on far too much and does take up an allot of RTÉ's, ITV's and BBC's budgets. I include The Bill, Holby City, Casulty etc as soap operas and not dramas. And the problem with soap opera is that it is on 5 nights a week in some cases, removing the chance of getting other types of drama.

Ros Na Run gets away with it since it is only on for 35 weeks for 2 nights, so TG4 refrain from making it their most important programme/drama of the year, while letting remain significant.

RTÉ put most of their home produced shows at Prime Time. I am kind of glad they don't waste money on Morning TV.

Yes I too am glad RTE don't produce a morning show I don't think I'd watch unless it was Marty Whelan and Mary Kennedy. Don't get me wrong I understand TV3 import tons of TV, but unless I'm mistaken I don't think they get any TV Licence money (not 100% sure on that), so I can't really "complain" about the tripe they have on!!!

But as far as RTE's imported repeats go - I'm sure we have enough of our own TV, ie., the likes of our own cookery shows, health programmes, etc - I'd even like to sit down and watch "Quick Silver or Where in the World" some days for the comedy element as well as the big "prizes".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

johnnyc wrote: »
    I just want to know peoples opinions about fair city.. I recon the show should be scrapped . What can i say about fair city the actors are crap especially the children the story lines are useless they seem to me to be copying eastenders or cornation st. rantt!!! no individuality

Aisling O'Neill is the only real reason to watch it.

deelite wrote: »
    Yes I too am glad RTE don't produce a morning show I don't think I'd watch unless it was Marty Whelan and Mary Kennedy. Don't get me wrong I understand TV3 import tons of TV, but unless I'm mistaken I don't think they get any TV Licence money (not 100% sure on that), so I can't really "complain" about the tripe they have on!!!

They got about 3million of Licence Fee for Indo Productions in 2008 and earn 62million a year in advertising revenue TV3 aren't that poor. (However certainly this year will be tough).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Does anyone notice that one of the young actors, (who to be honest is portrayed as a scumbag), has a thick Dublin accent, acts like a scanger and wears a canterbury hoddy (Canterbury loike, lol). lol. I saw the actor in a nightclub a while back, but I never got the chance to mention this.

I have to say I love Fair City. It isn't the best of soaps, but it's good for a laugh.

Although I can't stand Cass. I think he's the most irrelevant character ever. He can be funny, but still he's a pain to watch at times.

rant over.

• Advertisement

djcervi wrote: »
    Does anyone notice that one of the young actors, (who to be honest is portrayed as a scumbag), has a thick Dublin accent, acts like a scanger and wears a canterbury hoddy (Canterbury loike, lol). lol. I saw the actor in a nightclub a while back, but I never got the chance to mention this.

I have to say I love Fair City. It isn't the best of soaps, but it's good for a laugh.

Although I can't stand Cass. I think he's the most irrelevant character ever. He can be funny, but still he's a pain to watch at times.

rant over.

To pick Cass out as the most irrelevant Character is a bit harsh. Over the years there has been some very poor actors and characters in the soap and there still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

I agree with Deise Tom...Fair City is a soap which gets it wrong a lot and when it does it is switch off time. In fact, I think the only reason people stick with it, or go back to watching it, is because of loyalty as it is a home-grown soap opera..... a loyalty which it does not deserve, most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

A ****ing juice bar - ZUMO?

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Aisling O'Neill is the only real reason to watch it.

Is it Aisling O'Neill who plays Carol? Why has she started to overdo the Dub accent, since she came down in the world....when she was the club owner, she spoke in a very different way.

TBH I don't like Carol or her sister Tracy.

Are they not both Knackers. Did they not used to live together in a caravan orsomething?

• Advertisement

Cris Jones wrote: »
    Is it Aisling O'Neill who plays Carol?

Yes.

Crotchety wrote: »
    TBH I don't like Carol or her sister Tracy.

Are they not both Knackers. Did they not used to live together in a caravan orsomething?

There not sisters.

There not sisters.

Obviously not in real life. I know. But they are the same type in the soap. Always floating on each other.

Obviously not in real life. I know. But they are the same type in the soap. Always floating on each other.

Friends, but how good is anyones business. What try woman with sleep with her friends husband the day they were married.

Friends, but how good is anyones business. What try woman with sleep with her friends husband the day they were married.

Yes. Some kind of incestual storyline. Don't know what that was all about

Yes. Some kind of incestual storyline. Don't know what that was all about

Crochety...I don't think you know what you are sending in posts about! You are not making sense!!

And once again...Carol and Tracey are NOT sisters. NO INCEST. Your posts are making me feel :eek:

Crochety...I don't think you know what you are sending in posts about! You are not making sense!!

And once again...Carol and Tracey are NOT sisters. NO INCEST. Your posts are making me feel :eek:

What about Floyd and whats her name?

I don't watch FC. Just get the odd glimpse. I thought there was incest a few years back. Don't know now at all though.

Aye...but they were not mentioned in the post about incest, were they...:pac:

That was it. Floyd and Carol who is dating Christy now isn't it.

• Advertisement

I don't watch FC. Just get the odd glimpse. I thought there was incest a few years back. Don't know now at all though.

OK...but I don't think you should post about it if you don't even watch it...I don't watch it all the time either..but the last time I saw it was sooner than a "few years back"....

Crochety...stop posting about Fair City...

OK...but I don't think you should post about it if you don't even watch it...I don't watch it all the time either..but the last time I saw it was sooner than a "few years back"....

I seen the odd episode recently. THe funniest one is Ray - the fat taxi guy. Seen him chowing on a few sausages recently. :pac:

No it wasn't Carol it was his step-sister lol

His step-sister she was married to the doctor. Floyd's dad is Christy but Christy isn't the step-sister's father. Floyd's Mam had a child with someone before she meet Chirsty, Floyd meet his step-sister without knowing who she was and they started dating, but Floyd's mam didn't know where her baby girl went until she started to ask (Wheres me bab be, where is she Christy), then she met up with the Step-sister and Floyd and his step-sister continued to go out for a few weeks be for finding out that it was his step-sister :eek: <<<< Facial expression when something shocking happens at the end of an episode in Fair City, du du duoo du <<<<< those are the drum beats as the end of Fair City.

I can see why it is going for the last 100 years :D

Crochety...stop posting about Fair City...

I think people should ignore him/her if they go on about thinks they dont know about. Reminds me of another forum i was on. Someone would say something two or three people using different names would come in, twist and turn everything until there was an argument. Needless to say, those over the forum got so pissed off, that they closed it down.

I think people should ignore him/her if they go on about thinks they dont know about. Reminds me of another forum i was on. Someone would say something two or three people using different names would come in, twist and turn everything until there was an argument. Needless to say, those over the forum got so pissed off, that they closed it down.

I don't see why, soap is done in such away you always get characters mixed up. I am still waiting for someone to tell me the name of Floyd's step-sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Cookie89

I don't see why, soap is done in such away you always get characters mixed up. I am still waiting for someone to tell me the name of Floyd's step-sister.

Heather :)

Who is now married to the Doctor and have a little girl ellen who is Ben's half sister.

Cookie89 wrote: »
    Heather :)

Who is now married to the Doctor and have a little girl ellen who is Ben's half sister.

Ben better be careful :D

I don't agree, Elmo..."soap is done in such away you always get characters mixed up"...what I and maybe other posters were saying was that Crochet was posting about something that he knew nothing about at all...and what does he want to do that for...why does he not post about something that he knows about...DeiseTom seems like a genuine and friendly poster to me...

• Advertisement

Ben better be careful :D

The character Ben is a little boy.:(

Advertisement