Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the worst area in dublin?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

May I say that this forum is an eye opener...We just packed up our whole life from Southeast Asia for Dublin and now I'm starting to question the soundness of that decision:confused:

At the moment we are holed up in a hotel room in the middle of Smithfield 'plaza' and while the hotel itself is fine, the surrounding area is a different world altogether--ghost town is an apt description, i would say, complete with swirling bits of rubbish not unlike the empty streets of london a la '28 days later'. The nights were worse--drunken screams and brawls are common and a resident on the flat right across our room seem to find yelling '**** you all, **** you all' at 3am therapeutic.

Well, all that is about to end...we found an apartment in Bellevue, Islandbridge and we're moving there in the next couple of days...I am on the 18th page of this thread and so far no mention of Islandbridge--is that good or bad? Please, please tell me it's not dublin's best kept kiptown!

Islandbridge?Oh dear...oh deary deary dear!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

I cant beleive no one has mentioned Mounttown flats or fitzgerald park in dun laoghaire!

Incident 1) I'm 25 now, when i was 10 my uncle (utter nut job) and his friend were going down to the flats to fight these 2 other lads, when about 15 of them appeared arround the corner. My uncle said lets go his friend stayed. He got the **** kicked out of him they brought him into one of the flats and put him in the bath put his legs over the edge and used a sledgehammer to turn his shins into paste.

Incident 2) Some jad had robbed a bottle of vodka from quinnsworth. 2 cops came to get him, a full scale riot happened and a gardai got a screwdriver put through his riot helmet and into his skull. He made a recovery.

Incident 3) A drug deal gone bad, Basically these 2 english guys living there with this junkie held her ma by the legs from the 4th floor of the block. She proceeded to raise an army which in the end led to one of the english guys getting both his ears bitten off and what looked like a very oddly broken jaw.

Incident 4) A guy from the flats beat up a guy from fitzgerald park. Around mid night a gas bottle (used for bbq patio heaters etc) which had had petrol poured on it was thrown through the window (he lived on the bottom floor) it didnt explode though.

Incident 5) I had been to the shop for an ice cream with my cousin i was about 8 and him 15 when about 20 lads proceeded to kick the **** out of him cos he wasnt from the area. He live in st Patricks crescent, about 4 doors from the entrance to the flats...

Now living in Brookview tallaght!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I voted for Ballybough a few pages back.
    I'm changing my vote, anyway most of Ballybough seem to think they are in Drumcondra or Fairview so the area is getting smaller and smaller.

I vote for Dunsink lane.
    I've driven up this road to the barrier and back again in a foolhardy attempt to see what the hype was about.

I won't be going back-there's a reason it's a no go area.

micmclo wrote:
    I voted for Ballybough a few pages back.
    I'm changing my vote, anyway most of Ballybough seem to think they are in Drumcondra or Fairview so the area is getting smaller and smaller.

I vote for Dunsink lane.
    I've driven up this road to the barrier and back again in a foolhardy attempt to see what the hype was about.

I won't be going back-there's a reason it's a no go area.

Wont be like that for long,they're in the process of kicking the "people" out of that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I think Island bridge is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alienresident

lightening wrote:
    I think Island bridge is fine.
    oh thank you lightening. for a while there degsy has got me biting my nails :D

we chose islandbridge for its proximity to my husband's workplace and to the city center...the bellevue itself is quite a nice development...but i guess we won't really know what it's like until we live there

frankly, we are just relieved to be out of that hotel...and smithfield.next assignment is to find a place to buy...though after reading this thread, i'm tempted to just repack our bags and head back to tropical southeast asia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

micmclo wrote:

I vote for Dunsink lane.

Lived on the Ratoath road briefly, and in fairness we used to jog up here a few years ago (before the barricade) and apart from a few scowls were OK until one night, a huge German shepherd legged out and had us rooted to the spot showing its teeth :o

Altered the jogging route after that.
    ChRoMe wrote:

Jobstown in Tallagh is the wild west. I got lost up the dublin mountins one night and had to walk 2 hours down the mountin and I came out into jobstown I have never seen _anything_ like it. I felt safer in a very run down area of brooklyn where I stayed with a friend a few summers ago

ChRoMe

Give it a rest man FFS :D

I grew up there and it's certainly rough (though far better than the 80s) and I can't say I was sorry to move out but some of the squeaky "its worse than darfur/the bronx/bagdhad" threads are making me laugh.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Slunk wrote:
    Valley Park I take it? Its gotten worse since you left I tell you, sure if you check the hearld tonight, a few inocent people got shot by accident sunday with a sawn off shot gun. The place is a right kip.

Jaysis have lived in valley park for three years and i think its a little haven, never have any trouble or seen any, its really quiet, i have brilliant neighbours and feel totally safe (walk at the dog 11pm-12pm at night without a thought) - i would recommended anyone to live there

strange isnt it how different people have completely different ideas about areas:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

micmclo wrote:
    I vote for Dunsink lane.

Sweet Jesus that place is insane.

Its probably the only place I'm genuinely nervous about driving through. God forbid I ever breakdown there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

irishbird wrote:
    Jaysis have lived in valley park for three years and i think its a little haven, never have any trouble or seen any, its really quiet, i have brilliant neighbours and feel totally safe (walk at the dog 11pm-12pm at night without a thought) - i would recommended anyone to live there

strange isnt it how different people have completely different ideas about areas:D

I live between there(grew up in it) and blanch.

Valley park was a very different place on the bad side up to about 2001 when most trouble just stopped and then the haven began :)
    What that means is young troublesome folk from the 90s grew up, moved out and brought their troubles to other outlining areas like Ashbourne\Clonee\Navan :D
    Degsy wrote:
    Wont be like that for long,they're in the process of kicking the "people" out of that site.

Correction, paid off.

See my thread for news story in After Hours http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055105544

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Bluebell is a right aul kip. After Dark it becomes a travellers Ibiza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kaska

ballymun...worked for 3 months as security over there...was almost killed one day!!!!!(its been 4 years now...no clue whts it like now)

kaska wrote:
    ballymun...worked for 3 months as security over there...was almost killed one day!!!!!(its been 4 years now...no clue whts it like now)

Unrecognisable.Loads of the people who live there now are either foreigners,students or people who've bought houses privatly.Admittedly there are still scumbags and halfwits but their numbers ahve been greatly thinned out and intersperced with normal people.

Degsy wrote:
    Unrecognisable.Loads of the people who live there now are either foreigners,students or people who've bought houses privatly.Admittedly there are still scumbags and halfwits but their numbers ahve been greatly thinned out and intersperced with normal people.

still wont live there if you gave me a free hosue

irishbird wrote:
    still wont live there if you gave me a free hosue

You already got a free house

Degsy wrote:
    You already got a free house

my house wasnt free and even if i was free, that amount of money i have had to spend on it, i could have bought a small mansion

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clawsthefirst

irishbird wrote:
    my house wasnt free and even if i was free, that amount of money i have had to spend on it, i could have bought a small mansion

Bet you wish you got a very well built free house in ballymun now, haha!

Bet you wish you got a very well built free house in ballymun now, haha!

no way , wont live my deliapdated house with its leaky roof for a free house in ballymun

irishbird wrote:
    no way , wont live my deliapdated house with its leaky roof for a free house in ballymun

Where is your house?

lightening wrote:
    Where is your house?
    see a few post above - my area was voted the worse every but i think its great

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote:
    see a few post above - my area was voted the worse every but i think its great

Where is Valley Park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Clondalkin and Ballyfermot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

No messin' but Ballsbridge is actually a horrible place to live. I know its regorded (lol) as the Control Centre of the Southside but honestly the place is a chauvinistic nightmare. Image obsessed status climbers on every tree-lined avenue, its enough to give even its most famous export Ross O'Carroll Kelly a complex! Makes me want to move to..... TALLAGHT *gasp* Seriously, the place is a bland lacklustre suburban nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kaska

hey...iam new 2 boards...its been 3 days iam here and this thread seems 2 be the busiest....cant understand y....dublin do have one of the best places to live in as far i kno....dont u guys think so!!!!!!!!!

lightening wrote:
    Where is Valley Park?

finglas soon to be dublin 15

Are they renaming Finglas? I was in Ballymun last night, I was very impressed, really cleaned up, some nice modern architecture.

lightening wrote:
    Are they renaming Finglas? I was in Ballymun last night, I was very impressed, really cleaned up, some nice modern architecture.

yeah and it's only going to get better, the flats along side Supervalu are in the process of being knocked, the shopping centre is soon to be knocked and a new one rebuilt with a new cinema and all. most the new apartments seem to be inhabited by students, foreigners and suit wearing people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

yeah and it's only going to get better, the flats along side Supervalu are in the process of being knocked, the shopping centre is soon to be knocked and a new one rebuilt with a new cinema and all. most the new apartments seem to be inhabited by students, foreigners and suit wearing people

Yeh, and the local authority tenants are getting brand new houses with front and back gardens, courtesy of those taxpaying foreigners and suit-wearers, crammed into the apartments.:confused:

donaghs wrote:
    Yeh, and the local authority tenants are getting brand new houses with front and back gardens, courtesy of those taxpaying foreigners and suit-wearers, crammed into the apartments.:confused:

the new apartments ain't at all crammed and those local authority tenants are getting brand new houses with front and back gardens courtesy of all tax payers in this country not just the tax payers of ballymun! there's also houses for sale on the open market there- I used 'apartment' as a general term

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Not necessarily the worst in Dublin, but I'll second Dun Laoghaire as a dump. A sister of a mate of mine saw a lad killed in Abrakababra years ago, a fight in the queue and he fell and snapped his neck off the counter IIRC. There are regularly screaming matches between drunks along the main street during daytime and some of the locals pubs are dodgy as fcuk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement