Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squatters in Dublin to get millions!

Options
  • 11-06-2007 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Seen this headline in todays paper about a group of squatters on Fingal Council land being paid off using millions of taxpayers money to move on, see attached pics.

Turns out one of the brothers is a convicted criminal serving jail time and faces a huge bill(€1m+) from CAB for criminal activities.

What do people think of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Down with this sort of thing!

Although, I'm not surprised in the least. State and Semi State bodies need to grow a pair and actually deal with problems like this, tax evasion, false dole claims, false social welfare claims etc :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Squatters should not be given rights over land. They do not own it. They have effectively stolen it.

The county council should have turfed them out long ago, well before they could have claimed any rights to the land.

It's disgraceful that one of the brothers is holding the whole thing up because he's afraid the CAB will take some of his money to pay debts that he owes.

These people should not be getting anything!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Sorry, did I say "his" money, I meant "the" money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

WTF, F*CKING BUMS!!! i HATE THIS CRAP

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I agree with squatters rights, however, I don't think you should be able to sell those rights, which is an interesting quandry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

dame wrote:
    Squatters should not be given rights over land. They do not own it. They have effectively stolen it.

The county council should have turfed them out long ago, well before they could have claimed any rights to the land.

It's disgraceful that one of the brothers is holding the whole thing up because he's afraid the CAB will take some of his money to pay debts that he owes.

These people should not be getting anything!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Sorry, did I say "his" money, I meant "the" money.

I agree, it should never have come to this, the county council as it was, when this thing started, should have dealt with it when they first moved in.

They don't own the land, so they shouldn't be paid to vacate it. It just sets a bad example for others to follow.

Maybe rehouse these guys if they actually live on the site, but the newspaper said they were running a business from the site and if that is the case then I don't see why they should be compensated.

Imagine the chaos, if you could just move onto any vacant piece of land, set up a business on it and then have to be paid a huge sum by the rightful landowner, before you will vacate the site.

What's next ? Someone moving onto other publicly owned lands like a national park, the Phoenix Park or even the Curragh ? Why bother buying land to set up a business if you can move onto public land, and then get paid when they want you to leave ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think it is a ****ing disgrace but then again, they have been there 20 years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's not there land so why the fúck should they get money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

its prícks like this that give knackers a bad name, they should be rounded up and shot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cance wrote:
    its prícks like this that give knackers a bad name, they should be rounded up and shot.

All knackers have a bad name, that's why they are called knackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They shoulda sent in the riot squad to crack some skulls before it even came to this. F*cking scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

That particular bloke and his family are nothing but criminals.I hope he dies roaring in agony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Petrol bombs anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

The council didnt care about them living on the land for the last 20 years so it's their own fault for leaving them there at all. They have a legitemite claim on the land at this stage as they've been there so long, let them have their money it's just tough sh1t for the council. If the land is worth a few million undeveloped then they'll make it back with extras.

Binomate wrote:
    Petrol bombs anyone?

Why don't they put more people like this in charge. A lot more things would get done.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

These guys were were millionaires before this ransom money payout -- its an old traveller tactic, camp on someone elses land , dump loads of waste , and then await a payoff to move on -- the Equality rights and traveller rights organisations , seam quiet on this , but if a violent traveller is deservedly barred from a pub, they are up in arms ... i think equality is going the wrong way

Degsy wrote:
    That particular bloke and his family are nothing but criminals.I hope he dies roaring in agony.
    How do you know that now Degsy?? Why do you want him to die?

thebaz wrote:
    These guys were were millionaires before this ransom money payout -- its an old traveller tactic, camp on someone elses land , dump loads of waste , and then await a payoff to move on
    I dont think they expected a payout to leave a piece of crap
    corner in a field in Finglas when they moved onto it over twenty years ago when the last thing anybody expected was anything in that area ever being worth anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

they are there 20 years yet they are still travellers !!!

my personal distaste for the travelling community is further compounded.

I can quite honestly say that in my 30 years on this island I have never had a positive experience with a traveller. Yet my views are classified as stereotypical and 'racist'.

I just don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Scum

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Pretty sure they have only agreed a payment for one person so far and it certainly isnt the chap in jail

Under the law its now his land in some shape or another so hes within his rights to receive the money, however the fact that the government / Gardai have just allowed Dunsink Lane to disintegrate to the level its at right now is a disgrace, the Gardai are actually scared to go into the place and instead of facing up to it and sorting it out they have just allowed a whole bunch of criminality to take place right under their noses

• Advertisement

whippet wrote:
    they are there 20 years yet they are still travellers !!!
    Travellers is their name they dont necessarily have to travel, it's their ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ruen wrote:
    I dont think they expected a payout to leave a piece of crap
    corner in a field in Finglas when they moved onto it over twenty years ago when the last thing anybody expected was anything in that area ever being worth anything.

They were loaded before this incident, so i suppose it was nice to live on some elses land rent free , and save the profits from there booming business . The rest of society are forced to pay rent or buy property , instead of getting paid compensation to move on -- as stated previously this is a known traveller tactic , of getting paid "cash" to move on ! Ah the heart bleeds for the poor things :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Ruen wrote:
    it's just tough sh1t for the council.

Where do you think the council get their money?
    From the rest of us paying taxes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

gurramok wrote:
    Seen this headline in todays paper about a group of squatters on Fingal Council land being paid off using millions of taxpayers money to move on, see attached pics.

Good to see the Indo is as on the ball as ever, seeing as this was the front page story in yesterday's Sunday Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:
    I agree with squatters rights.

Why? On what grounds should someone be allowed to enter property/land they dotn own and basically take ownership of it? Those two words (squatters & rights) should never be together in a sentence.

These two wasters should be picked up an dplaced on the path outside the property with all their belongings.

The fatc that knackers are given any land/hous eat all is a disgrace.I dotn see how they should be treated any different to the rest of us. If I pulled a caravan up outside Leinster house and demanded a free house would I be given it or swiftly moved on? My money is on the latter, yet halting sites are being set up all over th ecountry with houses and land for them to destroy.

The same happend on the fonthill road just up from Bawnogue , a knacker moved in years ago on the side of the road, then when time came to expand the road and put in a junction the guy ( who was tradign from the site) refused to move , so the councle built him a house and gave him eland beside where he was (on the grounds he doesnt trade from it, which of course he still is)
    Ruen wrote:
    The council didnt care about them living on the land for the last 20 years so it's their own fault for leaving them there at all. They have a legitemite claim on the land at this stage as they've been there so long, let them have their money it's just tough sh1t for the council. If the land is worth a few million undeveloped then they'll make it back with extras.

Thats hardly the issue. Why should they have any claim? It's not their land so they should be sent packing.

If you found out you were left a few acres of land worth a few million but when you went out you were told "sorry, these knackers have had their caravans here for 20 years, they own your land now" I asume you'd say "fair enough, carry on" and be on your way, yeah?

thebaz wrote:
    They were loaded before this incident, so i suppose it was nice to live on some elses land rent free , and save the profits from there booming business . The rest of society are forced to pay rent or buy property , instead of getting paid compensation to move on -- as stated previously this is a known traveller tactic , of getting paid "cash" to move on ! Ah the heart bleeds for the poor things :confused:
    I'm not saying they need sympathy or anything, why would they...they just got paid.
    How is that a tactic? Anybody in their right mind whether they're a traveller or not would hold out for "cash" if the law says they're entitled to it.

Stekelly wrote:
    Why? On what grounds should someone be allowed to enter property/land they dotn own and basically take ownership of it? Those two words (squatters & rights) should never be together in a sentence.
    On the grounds that if they enter the land, setup home and live there for over 20 years and the owner says nothing about it.:) There you go now Stekelly

PHB wrote:
    I agree with squatters rights, .

Within reason so do I,

For example, someone dies intestate and one of surviving members of the houshold remains in the deceased house for 12 years or more, yes! no problem, plenty of time for relatives to come out of the woodwork to claim the estate in the meantime.

Same holds true if someone takes an abandoned house, but the owner or decendents of the owner have time to reclaim before the squatter can put in a claim for the property.

For most other senarios, NO!

When these guys setup on this piece of land it was worth nothing and nobody could have cared less but after more than 20 years people are only bothered now because a few euros are involved.... let them have it I say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ruen wrote:
    On the grounds that if they enter the land, setup home and live there for over 20 years and the owner says nothing about it.:) There you go now Stekelly
    The owner was a foreign absentee landlord who didnt care what happened to their barren fields.
    I blame the arse of a law, the don't care attitude of the landlord and the lazy Dublin COUNTY council(pre Fingal) that allowed something like this to happen in the first place for 20 odd years.
    What happens if we all found a prime derelict site and decided to squat on it for 12 years?..We'd be millionaires as well!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement