Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the worst area in dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lightening wrote:
    Ah Mairt, Don't believe everything you read, the old shinners and ra fellas used to have a slight fear hold over misbehaviour, now everybody is as dangerous as everyone, they all have guns and are not at all afraid of using them.

Tell you what.

Try get into bar/club security in the Finglas/Cabra or even Blanchardstown area's and then tell me that there's 'Real' IRA or INLA influence in those area's.

Try get even a site security contract in those area's and see who's toes your stepping on, or whose palmes you have to butter!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

In a city as big as Dublin there will be rackateering but you can't draw correlation from that to say that certain places are no go areas and that you can't live a good life in those places.
    I know, I grew up in finglas and now live in d15

Thaedydal wrote:
    In a city as big as Dublin there will be rackateering but you can't draw correlation from that to say that certain places are no go areas and that you can't live a good life in those places.

I never said you couldn't have a good life in Finglas. All I'm pointing out is the fact that the 'real IRA' & the INLA still have some influence in these area's.

Don't forget its been widely reported that our Finglas Mr Big (may he rot in hell) was paying off both the INLA and the 'Real IRA' in the Finglas/Cabra area so he could run his operations more smoothly.

They haven't gone away ya know!.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

lol i was going to post that maybe if youre working the door or something in fingerless you'd think it was run by paramilitaries. I'd be suprised if anyone was paying money to the real ira..maybe the dole :D

Bambi wrote:
    lol i was going to post that maybe if youre working the door or something in fingerless you'd think it was run by paramilitaries. I'd be suprised if anyone was paying money to the real ira..maybe the dole :D

Damn, was it you or me who was punched in the head too hard last training last night?..

But I can't make that one out, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

My nomination is Ballybough

I pass through on my way to and from work every day. I live in Drumcondra and work in the IFSC

Reasons:
    Notoriety through the scissors sisters murder. Also the shooting on Clonliffe Avenue a few weeks ago.

The amount of overweight pyjamas wearing girls who ask me the time and shout at me when I say I don't have a watch. (I don't have a watch for the record)

The amount of young lads who ask me for cigarettes and then swear at me when I say I don't smoke which I don't. I also don't understand why they tuck their pants into their socks. Must be the new fashion

Every wednesday, I have to dodge bin bags left out. I don't mean left neatly outside houses but surrounding every bin and on the footpath. They are never tagged but the council is obviously still collecting them. THey're are often left out on Tuesday or even Monday meaning dogs have ripped them asunder by the time they're collecting on Wednesday.

The amount of rubbish in the canal. Last monday, I passed a flat and two lads are carrying a large couch and another has an armchair. A delivery van was delivering new furniture. That same evening, I walk home and the old furniture is in the canal by the lock at Annesly Bridge. It's still there if anyone walks that way.
    On the topic of the canal, I'll include the guys who drink cans there some days and have great craic firing empty cans at the ducks. Scum!

The sheer depreviation of Croke Park Villas. I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to live there. What a dump and I get depressed just walking past

Finally, all the ads of people who live in Ballybough and advertise their home as Drumcondra. Take a look on www.myhome.ie and you'll see this. It's misleading if you don't know the areas in North Dublin.

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Thaedydal wrote:

You must be in the Real IRA then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Thaedydal wrote:

You must be in the Real IRA then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

micmclo wrote:
    My nomination is Ballybough

I pass through on my way to and from work every day. I live in Drumcondra and work in the IFSC

Reasons:
    Notoriety through the scissors sisters murder. Also the shooting on Clonliffe Avenue a few weeks ago.

The amount of overweight pyjamas wearing girls who ask me the time and shout at me when I say I don't have a watch. (I don't have a watch for the record)

The amount of young lads who ask me for cigarettes and then swear at me when I say I don't smoke which I don't. I also don't understand why they tuck their pants into their socks. Must be the new fashion

Every wednesday, I have to dodge bin bags left out. I don't mean left neatly outside houses but surrounding every bin and on the footpath. They are never tagged but the council is obviously still collecting them. THey're are often left out on Tuesday or even Monday meaning dogs have ripped them asunder by the time they're collecting on Wednesday.

The amount of rubbish in the canal. Last monday, I passed a flat and two lads are carrying a large couch and another has an armchair. A delivery van was delivering new furniture. That same evening, I walk home and the old furniture is in the canal by the lock at Annesly Bridge. It's still there if anyone walks that way.
    On the topic of the canal, I'll include the guys who drink cans there some days and have great craic firing empty cans at the ducks. Scum!

The sheer depreviation of Croke Park Villas. I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to live there. What a dump and I get depressed just walking past

Finally, all the ads of people who live in Ballybough and advertise their home as Drumcondra. Take a look on www.myhome.ie and you'll see this. It's misleading if you don't know the areas in North Dublin.

Rant over

Yeah, it's not the best area alright.. I live close to Ballybough, and can relate to pretty much everything you've posted. They're making good progress in tearing down the flats though, which were always a bit of an eyesore in themselves.
    I've never seen or experienced any trouble up there myself, but there is certainly an air of unease.. as if something's about to kick off at any moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

yes why do all those welfare mothers insist on living up to the stereotypes?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

H&#250 wrote: »
    yes why do all those welfare mothers insist on living up to the stereotypes?!

if in doubt check out any post office on the first tuesday of every month :D

Yeah, it's not the best area alright.. I live close to Ballybough, and can relate to pretty much everything you've posted. They're making good progress in tearing down the flats though, which were always a bit of an eyesore in themselves.
    I've never seen or experienced any trouble up there myself, but there is certainly an air of unease.. as if something's about to kick off at any moment.

Croke Park maybe?.

An interesting site...

www.dublincrime.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 brain damaged

Ballymun is terrible but its been upgraded to just very bad
    although the heroin problem is out of hand

Smithfield : complete ****hole , just full of suburban pikeys
    even the ones that look respectable cant be trusted
    even when the horse markets not on its still swarmed with pikeys

Tallafornia : is ok in rare places , bad in others (belgard , old bawn , kingswood) then really bad in others (round the square) than terrible in the rest (Jobstown , KIllnenarden)
    but its equally unsafe in any area of it , two 5 year olds tried to mug me and my mates , at the bus top at the sqaure , their dad came along lookin for them for dinner or something and he looks at whats happening and encourages them..
    scum

Nutgrove : Complete warzone , take the 75 after the sun goes down , it gives you a very scary tour of the place , that park is breeding ground for scum , 2 year scum walking around in the airmax , no supervision , it also goes past the dirtiest houses ive ever seen , about 7/10 of them have been burnt out but im sure junkies inhabit the place , you see some crazy sh1t there...
    one of the more ghetto moments : walkin down towards rathfarnam i look left and i see 3 men in a garden (airmax to the extreme) with dutch , and a mini moto! it was funny , it was just like the stereotype of scumbag..

Finglas : should just be blown up

Darndale : A social experiment , a human rat maze

there the ones ive experiance with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

punchdrunk wrote:
    okay i'm currently living in coolock,and it's nowhere near as bad as some are making out! coolock village is fine,never had any trouble there,nearest really **** area's are harmo and darndale,but once again i think cause the cop shop is in coolock the place gets a bad rep in the media,FFS a dude gets shot in clontarf and the papers start banging on about a man being held in COOLOCK GARDA STATION etc

Yeah i agree, people get shot all over the place and they say its in coolock. Especially the Irish Times. Also i didn't much appriciate Mc Dowell saying the "Everytime you have cocaine in foxrock you're responsible for someone getting shot in Coolock" or whatever the exact quote was.

Leave it out! Its not so bad. I'm quite fond of the place! :) (I've clearly been living here too long!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

'm from Donegal so I can give a view as outside the box...
    Went to the Gaeltacht in tsummer and met people from lots of the places you mentioned (ballybough, artane, raheny, tallaght) ...myst've been 100 at the most, and each and every one of them were so nice...they knew that where they lived had a bad reputation (I knew nothing of the places) and they explained that wherevere they go, they have a tag put on them too...I think a lot of people's opinions on here are generalisations..!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Generalisations on boards.ie???
    You jest, Sir....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

ive lived in tallaght all my life, in various different parts and have friends in other parts so i know it really well. So il give the lowdown:

Tallaght village/Bancroft/Glenview /Balrothery - Probably the nicest part of tallaght, very little hassle down this way

Kilnamangh/Kingswood - grand areas not to much problems, although you'd wnat to keep your car locked up

Old Bawn/Aylesbury - Ye nice again, no much problems around here

The Square - Dump, its were alll the scum and travellers congregate, so people who just go to the square but aernt from tallaght get the impression that the whole of tallaght is lke that, when its not. The bus stop outside the square opposite the Super valu has probly the most scum in any area of dublin per metre than anywhere else in dublin at a given time.

Killnarden- Has quietended down in recent years, not as bad as it was but still a bit of a dump.

Fettercairn - Not to bad most of the time

Rossfield - IMO the biggest dump in tallaght, full of scum, same as Glenshane

Jobstown - not to familar with it so cant comment

So theres the lowdown, Tallaght is a grand place to live and doesnt deserve the really bad rep it has, people have to remenber the massive population there is out this way, appartently more people in tallaght then Limerick (or so i heard), just avoid getting the 77 and 56A and you wont have any trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

tallaght- bigger than limerick, bigger than galway. yet still a "village". ya think someone could do a head count before confering city status :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EmrldOne

Fitzgerald Park in Monkstown Farm, which is a a group of 2 story flats in an estate in Mountwood, its a discrace and the people living there are protesting about living conditions because they have no central heating and rely on open fires. Many of the children have athsma and lung problems.

Jobstown in West Tallaght.

Ballyfermot

Killiney Towers 1980's = Which used to be destroyed with graffiti and had a drug problem, and the estates nea it which have now been fully developed and are now middle-class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

Ballybough = There is a new state of the art playground there, with half size all weather soccer pitch and basketball court, all included along with other swings n stuff. If we had that when we were kids, we would have been in it 247 !, the place is always empty. I suppose drinking dutch gold by the canal is far more appealing for kids these days.

I was giving out to some kids for throwing stones at apartments a few weeks back, I walked over and gave out to them, they never answered me, just blank stares, the stink of alcohol off them nearly knocked me over, they were all too locked to answer, they were about 11 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I was always told Neilstown was the worst part of Dublin. As for guy who said blow Finglas up, maybe west Finglas. The east side of the N2 is fine, never seen or experienced any problems. Few howayas outside bottom of the hill but that's gonna be knocked down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

Kernel wrote:
    I'm not a snob, I'm pointing out that most of the ****ty areas people are talking about are on the northside, and I happen to agree with that, being a man about town.

No southsider over the age of 13 would call me a sap, some of the kids talk like that, but usually everyone thinks I'm a cool ****er.

Look out your window, see that horse eating your grass in the front garden? That's the northside brother.

;) :cool:

oh dear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭maxymax86

ok ladies n gentz... first of all i live in Jobstown (near Brookfield), have loads of mates in fettercairn, drimnagh - crumlin, dolpins barn, and around east wall area. And in the last 5 years nothing bad happened to me walking through ANY of these areas. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that i am considered by some ppl to be "rough" or "dodgy" looking but i am by no means some knacker.
    aslo i got mates in d4 areas and i had more trouble there than in any of the above areas from some wannabe knackers who challenege you to fight and as soon as you square up to them and not run away they leg it themselves. just my 2 cents.
    p.s. plus i well prefer living in these areas rather that the likes of d4 places, dunno why
    p.p.s. sry 4 spelling, bit tipsy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stratospheres

I live in Edenmore and honestly it's not too bad!
    I have family in Darndale and while it's not great I'm still not too scared of the place.
    I've friends in Ballymun and it's not half as bad as you'd think.
    The one place that I didn't like was Clondalkin, something about it just unnerved me, was only there once though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

I live in Edenmore and honestly it's not too bad!

Woot woot , agreed :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Anywhere in Dublin after the sun goes down.

Come to think of it you could probably say anywhere in Dublin after the sun comes up..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

I used to live in Peckham in London and its positively friendly in comparison with some of the danger spots in Dublin. Different class of criminal, minded their own business and just got on with joyriding buses and the like! Over here they do a car over in front of you, with confident bravado. (in the liberties) Or comment and sneer when you walk by. Its the antisocial aspect, the random side thats alittle scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Kernel wrote:
    It's not Foxrock, alright, it's a normal Dublin area, (a)but you don't get scumbags in most of it. Whereabouts were you? (b)Around near the church can be a bit rougher, but generally it's grand. Houses in most parts of Walkinstown are 400-500k, so that kinda keeps the dole families out. I've lived there all my life, and have never heard of a stabbing or a drug bust or even drug deals anywhere near me.

Are you sure you were in Walkinstown?

(a)but you don't get scumbags in most of it.
    This statement could be applied to any part of Dublin mentioned in all of the above posts.

I live in Mulhuddart (I call it Blanchardstown... but some people don't like the generalisation that Blanchardstown brings.), more specifically, Wellview. You know, the estate parallel to Ladyswell and adjacent to Parslickstown. I've lived here almost twenty years and I can honestly say, yes, it is a bad area, but thats only because of a handful of people (we'll say about 30 people out of approximatly 150 houses) make it that way. If the average family has two adults and two children living in their household then that means 5% (30 people) are scumbags, which means of approx 600 people living in Wellview only, then you don't get scumbags in most of my estate.

(b)Around near the church can be a bit rougher
    Again, it could be applied to any part of Dublin mentioned. Just to say that in my estate the "rougher parts" are the second field and then grove around the entrance of the estate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alienresident

May I say that this forum is an eye opener...We just packed up our whole life from Southeast Asia for Dublin and now I'm starting to question the soundness of that decision:confused:

At the moment we are holed up in a hotel room in the middle of Smithfield 'plaza' and while the hotel itself is fine, the surrounding area is a different world altogether--ghost town is an apt description, i would say, complete with swirling bits of rubbish not unlike the empty streets of london a la '28 days later'. The nights were worse--drunken screams and brawls are common and a resident on the flat right across our room seem to find yelling '**** you all, **** you all' at 3am therapeutic.

Well, all that is about to end...we found an apartment in Bellevue, Islandbridge and we're moving there in the next couple of days...I am on the 18th page of this thread and so far no mention of Islandbridge--is that good or bad? Please, please tell me it's not dublin's best kept kiptown!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement