Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTYI Newbie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Was the rumour about the people freezing the jolt and drinking pure caffeine true? I didnt believe it but listening to this......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

KK I never got what the obsession was with Caffeine in CTYI.It's not like you have to pull loads of all nighters finishing work.Anyone care to explain?

Btw, ba_barbara just out of curiosity can I ask where you're from?

hes a stalker, dont do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

ColHol wrote:
    Was the rumour about the people freezing the jolt and drinking pure caffeine true? I didnt believe it but listening to this......
    In short, NO way. It'd be a jolt slushie. Maybe a bit more concentrated, but Jolt has as much caffeine as a cup of coffee, which, if purified, would be a TINY amount, talking miligrammes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Not according to my system. I was falling asleep all over the place! Too much cola; not enough caffeine. I had a huge aversion to all things cola for about a month afterwards. I'm bringing loads of coffee and Jolt this year. Should be well sorted. :)
    The problem there is you were drinking too much caffeine. Your body gets used to it. Also, stimulants aren't a replacement for sleep, they just postpone (and increase, eventually) the fatigue. If you get loads of sleep in the week before CTYI and don't drink caffeine you should be able to survive on about 5-6 hours of sleep per weeknight, for the 3 weeks. Just try to get at least one (two if possible) decent nights of sleep a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I think the only instance of frozen Jolt was when Aonghus and I sold it out of our window in '03 and people complained that there was anti-freeze or somesuch in it. Long story... If there was a way to get pure caffeine from Jolt I'm sure I'd have found it by now, and if there is and I haven't I have a pen and paper at the ready. :D The whole caffeine thing is just a random coincidence. For some reason, within fifteen minutes of arriving you're automatically hooked on the stuff. I was hooked before I got there anyway, but that's not the point...

Hooked on caffeine?I didn't think that was even possible, not without nicotine anyways

LiamD wrote:
    I didn't think that was even possible, not without nicotine anyways
    Dip your fags in coffee or something?

LiamD wrote:
    Hooked on caffeine?I didn't think that was even possible, not without nicotine anyways
    Not really an addiction, more a dependancy. You need to drink it, as a stimulant, since you did a silly thing and didn't sleep last night, but you've been drinking so much of it that it doesn't affect you as much as it used to, so you have to drink even more.

Oh it's possible, and a relatively harmless addiction, so I don't even have to feel guilty about it. :)

• Advertisement

ColHol wrote:
    Dip your fags in coffee or something?
    Nah I hear that they kinda feed off each other, if a smoker has a cup of coffee they'll want a smoke after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

thats a habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Caffeine is addictive, for the record. Psychologically, yeah, but psychological addiction can be a hugely powerful thing. Caffeine addicts do go through withdrawal symptoms when they don't ingest caffeine on a regular basis - much like heroin addicts!

Yes they do indeed.

Plunky wrote:
    Caffeine is addictive, for the record. Psychologically, yeah, but psychological addiction can be a hugely powerful thing. Caffeine addicts do go through withdrawal symptoms when they don't ingest caffeine on a regular basis - much like heroin addicts!
    "From the people who brought you heroin, it's caffeine, the opiate of the (supposed) intellectual elite!"

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

LiamD wrote:
    KK I never got what the obsession was with Caffeine in CTYI.It's not like you have to pull loads of all nighters finishing work.Anyone care to explain?

Btw, ba_barbara just out of curiosity can I ask where you're from?

I'm from Dublin - (Clontarf and later Drumcondra). Moved west when firstborn was 1

Caffiene is an essential part of life. I've lived on it for years, especially when studying. Coffee and chocolate... mmm. When my younger ones are in bed me and the big one sit up and scoff while watching dvds till late. It's a great life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

See, no offense, but now you're in trouble... Liam is as we speak on his was to Busaras! ;)

Plunky wrote:
    See, no offense, but now you're in trouble... Liam is as we speak on his was to Busaras! ;)

:D

Is he after a new mother ... or is he into older women?

bit of both, if anyone knocks at your door under the impression of selling squeegies or tickets to funderland 2006, close the door and ring the police.

• Advertisement

bit of both, if anyone knocks at your door under the impression of selling squeegies or tickets to funderland 2006, close the door and ring the police.

squeegies I can do without, but tickets for funderland I could use. Costs me a fortune every year!

well then Liam's your man, he can get you in on one of the day's its closed if you're real nice rolleyes.gif

well then Liam's your man, he can get you in on one of the day's its closed if you're real nice rolleyes.gif

"If" i'm real nice? I'm always nice! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Clontarf? Deadly, me too. What part did you hail from?

First Kincora Avenue, then St. Laurence Road. My aunt still lives on Kincora Grove. Grew up at the cricket and rugby club.

Where are you?

Busaras?I'm from Dublin too...

Nah the reason I asked was I was wondering whether he was coming from abroad or not.I'm not really as bad as they say......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Thats completely crazy, I have friends on all of those roads :) I'm on the Clontarf Road. Did you go to Holy Faith?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

:D

Is he after a new mother ... or is he into older women?

oh dear god thats so wrong that i dont even know where to begin :P

/me wanders off to get beauty sleep before tomorrows early lectures. they're so much nicer when its a nap as opposed to exhaustion sleep during em.

Caoimhe wrote:
    Thats completely crazy, I have friends on all of those roads :) I'm on the Clontarf Road. Did you go to Holy Faith?

I was a 'pyjama girl' - went to Maryfield. Parents moved us up to Gracepark to be nearer school. My Dad went to Holy Faith until 1st class (a very, very, long time ago)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Crash wrote:
    Someones replacing james connolly?

He could never be replaced tbh. Only aspired to.

Advertisement