Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTYI Newbie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Only if they happen to be exceptionally light. Then again, Pierce and I threw Bill, and he's not exactly Aine's size...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I missed that!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Just make sure he's not short. They have a tendency of getting thrown around!

Well ... he's taller than me. I think he can look after himself anyway. Will not worry about him any more than most mums when their eldest leaves home for college.

3 weeks peace to look forward to, and loads of washing when he gets back!

I know he'll have a fantastic time with you all. You sound like a great bunch of people. Saw on the ctyi website where someone described the students as a group of 'unique' individuals.

Yez know I'm just as jealous as hell and this is my vicarious way of joining in!

It was in the park at some stage. Maybe this year I should see can I pick up every person on campus...

Like the bra competition

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Oh man Ba_babra ann's kid is NEVER gonna be let go now!

Meh. 'Twas all in good fun. :) I wouldn't have gotten as badly slaughtered in that if I hadn't run off to shave Gareth's head, at which Matt and I did quite a nifty job if I do say so myself. :)

Then i licked the stubble! Not a good idea!

Plunky wrote:
    Oh man Ba_babra ann's kid is NEVER gonna be let go now!

Everyone has to learn sometime! As long as he doesn't hurt or offend anyone, or do anything illegal, its all experience.

Just don't hold it against him that he has me for a mother.

Ugh, and there was still traces of shaving foam and everything... I realise this is probably putting her off so I'm just going to say, we're harmless, and Matt won't be back anyway. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Ok, thats it, stop scaring the poor woman :)

Ba_barbaraAnne : believe me you have nothing to worry about in relation to your son tbh :)

i went to CTYI for two years a few years ago, now in college and it is one of those things that has stayed with me. Hell all going well i might be working there this summer *fingers crossed CV and interview go well* - everyones insane in a relatively sane way :D

crash_000 wrote:
    Ok, thats it, stop scaring the poor woman :)

But it's so much fun! :p

Heh. When you applying Neil? 'Twould be mad to have you be an RA in my last year, seeing as I remember you from my first and all that. :)

crash_000 wrote:
    Ba_barbaraAnne : believe me you have nothing to worry about in relation to your son tbh :)

I know that :) Its the best thing in the world for him. He's getting the chance of a lifetime. If I thought CTYI was going to be bad for him I'd never have spent hours helping him study for the SATs!
    crash_000 wrote:
    - everyones insane in a relatively sane way :D

Sounds a bit like life in our house. Sane when we have to be and crazy the rest of the time. I grew up thinking that was normal, and am passing it down to the next generation. Makes them stand out like sore thumbs in a small village though! He'll be right at home with you lot

Well ... he's taller than me. I think he can look after himself anyway. Will not worry about him any more than most mums when their eldest leaves home for college.

3 weeks peace to look forward to, and loads of washing when he gets back!

I know he'll have a fantastic time with you all. You sound like a great bunch of people. Saw on the ctyi website where someone described the students as a group of 'unique' individuals.

Yez know I'm just as jealous as hell and this is my vicarious way of joining in!

not unless you want to, teach him how to wash stuff at home, there's great facilities on campus, if he wants to be independat he has to wash his clothes! It's part of the lifestyle, no safety net!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Surely nobody brings enough clean clothes for 3 weeks without washing? Hell I don't own that many clothes... o.o

And oh yes, washing clothes is very important to the CTYI experience. And the washing machines eating your money on numerous occasions so you have to handwash everything and dry it in your room with a hairdryer....

exactly, no safety net!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Surely nobody brings enough clean clothes for 3 weeks without washing? Hell I don't own that many clothes... o.o

And oh yes, washing clothes is very important to the CTYI experience. And the washing machines eating your money on numerous occasions so you have to handwash everything and dry it in your room with a hairdryer....
    I do... I've never ever washed something in CTYI in my life!
    Erm I do have conveniently located mother who does the necessary washing though...

Ba_barbaraAnne: I did Marine Biology and its one of the best courses I've ever done. The instructor is insanely cool and nice. Beware of your son coming home and knowing more about plankton than anyone in their right mind though... And your son is in great hands. Hell, I've been to CTYI six times and am thoroughly miserable that I can't go back so I guarantee it'll be great for him :)

Caoimhe wrote:
    Ba_barbaraAnne: I did Marine Biology and its one of the best courses I've ever done. The instructor is insanely cool and nice. Beware of your son coming home and knowing more about plankton than anyone in their right mind though... And your son is in great hands. Hell, I've been to CTYI six times and am thoroughly miserable that I can't go back so I guarantee it'll be great for him :)

Thanks Caoimhe

I'll pass this on to him. He's wanted to do Marine Biology since he was old enough to say the words, so it will be heaven for him.

As far as the washing is concerned.... if I go up to Dublin about half-way through the course, he won't have to do his own. Only his younger brothers know how to use a washing machine (I think. He probably knows but is too smart to let on)

It really should be him getting involved in this forum. You could give him all the tips that mothers shouldn't know about! Will have to get him to log on one of these days. For all I know, someone on here has met him in the junior CTYI. He didn't go last summer, but was there the previous two years.
    I've heard enough haiku poetry to last me a lifetime - plankton would make a nice change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Word of warning, life after CTYI will involve WAY too many people to stay in contact with and subsequently ALL of your sons free time will go to these friends. And if things go well, he'll also be making 'friends' with a lot more girls... and he also may just be able to argue anything he wants down with you afterwards, having had a lot of experience debating with people over minor things.
    Ps. Wolverene would kill Spiderman.

• Advertisement

Says the man who wasn't even at the random gathering today! :rolleyes: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Hey, if you had the choice I had this morning, you'd have chosen the same option (another positive indirect consequence of CTYI ;)). I HAVE NO REGRETS!!!

Heh. No questions asked. Can't say I have any about how I spent my day either. (Equally positive indirect consequence of CTYI) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

This guy is more than likely going to be the most famous CTYI newbie of all time. And he owes it all to mammary. And I mean that in a really nice way.
    pinkpimp wrote:
    Wolverene would kill Spiderman.
    Unlikely... *awaits the inevitable*

Wolverine can only be killed by drowning!

This guy is more than likely going to be the most famous CTYI newbie of all time. And he owes it all to mammary. And I mean that in a really nice way.

Unlikely... *awaits the inevitable*

It's all in the genes. He's a chip off the old block and while I'm not a 'pushy' mum, if any of my kids show an interest or ability in anything, I make sure they get every opportunity to explore their potential. The week he was born I started a college fund.

If CTYI was around in my day it would have been the place for me...as it was, there wasn't even the chance to go to college, and my third level education has only started in the last couple of years. My dream is to win the lotto and go to college (staying on campus of course) when the boys are all off my hands.

Just give my young man his 'baptism of fire' and send him home in one piece! I'm realy lloking forward to the changes the summer will bring. You lot seem to be a great bunch, and if that's what CTYI does for you... I'm all for it!

P.S. If/when you work out who's kid he is when he gets there - don't take it out on him for having me for a mother. He's not as out-going as me yet! :D

Give him about two days and a few bottles of Jolt Cola and we'll fix that right up...

Speaking of which, who else is bringing crates? I know I am but I'm wondering will there be much competition selling them. Damn Spar and their lack of super-addictive colas. They had no Red Bull either last year so I was truly lost! :(

You drank enough caffine anyway!

• Advertisement

Not according to my system. I was falling asleep all over the place! Too much cola; not enough caffeine. I had a huge aversion to all things cola for about a month afterwards. I'm bringing loads of coffee and Jolt this year. Should be well sorted. :)

Advertisement