Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart employee happy to answer questions on bb rollout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Wertz wrote:
    Just wondering if you got that answer.
    About the credit card direct debit form in .pdf.

If so , any chance of you posting a link?

Thx
    *bumped for attention*

Don't see any alterations to the website. Is there a credit card form or not?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hey,

I have some questions I hope you can answer, im sorry if they where answered before, I read the whole topic but I could of missed it!

1) I see Waterford is in Phase 2, but does that include County Waterford? Im using UTV (and there really p*ssing me off at the moment) Broadband and Phone Service in Tramore Co. Waterford - your site said it wasnt available but can you let me know of any estimated date it will be around in Tramore?

2) I see people wish higher upload speeds, wouldnt mind them myself either as it would be ideal for me but it doesnt matter! Any ideas yet if these are going to be offered yet?

3) Also notice people want Static IPs - any ideas yet if this is going to be offered?

4) What Modem is "shipped" out with this product?

5) Do I have to use your telephone service aswell as the broadband? Or can I just be with Smart for broadband only and UTV or someone else for the Telephone service?

6) People who use P2P on Smart - What happens to them?

Thanks in advance for your assistance! Your sites not working for me by the way.

- Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭dubal

Any idea what's happened to the www.smarttelecom.ie web site today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭dubal

Yea, its back up now alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

ah I dunno. I'm going to let this one past me. I've seen this before with Netsource and UTV but when I went with them I found out their network sucked. I'm staying with eircom and waiting to see what the competition forces them to do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

ando wrote:
    ah I dunno. I'm going to let this one past me. I've seen this before with Netsource and UTV but when I went with them I found out their network sucked. I'm staying with eircom and waiting to see what the competition forces them to do
    There may be lots of reasons to let this one pass you by, but network problems is unlikely to be one of them when it comes to Smart. If possible network issues is your primary reason, you should probably think again. I won't be signing up meself, but it'll be because some of the statements made are causing serious deja vu, and I'd prefer to avoid that if it's all the same. And on a higher level, I have to say that the entire plan looks decidedly wonky to me; my gut tells me it's economically unworkable in the format that was announced.

Of course I hope they pull it off, because if they do they'll introduce serious competition into the market. But they'll have to do it without me at the outset I'm afraid.

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yah, the 'first 100,000' appear to get Phone service , Voicemail and 2Mb BB for €14.20 ex vat, Smarts cut after Eircom and the Vatman .

They will pull in €34.20 a month from subsequent customers , after Eircom and the Vatman, which does make it look better .

The first 100,000 signups also included places like the Maam Cross Exchange

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2351850&highlight=maam#post2351850

And will never mean 100,000 customers. If they convert 25,000 signups out of 100,000 expressions at €35 that is probably that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The market will be so different by the time Smart has 100,000 customers that this offer will be replaced with something as good or better. This stuff doesn't get more expensive, it gets cheaper all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Sponge Bob wrote:
    And will never mean 100,000 customers. If they convert 25,000 signups out of 100,000 expressions at €35 that is probably that .

Odds are it will take a very long time or not at all. I was reading the sunday business post today and they had a two page special on broadband. And smart said they had approx 20,000 customers.

Also the article said their connection speed it 2048/2048. So either smart have an ace up their jumper or sbp is wrong. I sincerly hope the former, but odds are its the latter.

• Advertisement

if they wanted and they probably already do give business customers that connection as all their system so far is on fibre so they could. It would most likely be on the conditions that they put down a new line and your near the exchange because i would never trust eircom with a job of putting down good cable to be able to take the bandwidth going through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

dahamsta wrote:
    I won't be signing up meself, but it'll be because some of the statements made are causing serious deja vu, and I'd prefer to avoid that if it's all the same. And on a higher level, I have to say that the entire plan looks decidedly wonky to me; my gut tells me it's economically unworkable in the format that was announced.

adam

Garfield has clearly stated that if SMART cannot provide what they are promising then you are free to break the contract and not sign up with them. To be honest, I doubt they would take legal proceeedings if you signed up now and then didn't take it up..just cancel the DD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

TimTim wrote:
    Also the article said their connection speed it 2048/2048. So either smart have an ace up their jumper or sbp is wrong. I sincerly hope the former, but odds are its the latter.
    What they will need if they are serious is a massive ad campaign closer to the time. All of the areas they are operating in will have DSL from the monopolist. The early adopters will already have broadband so the greatest potential sales will be among dial up users. Ireland is still at the early stage of broadband take-up so Smart have a good chance of grabbing these with appropriate marketing. These people will not be worried about losing broadband while the changeover occurs. It will be interesting to see how Eircom responds.

I think Esat have a good opportunity as they already have equipment in exchanges covering 1/4 lines in the country and have so far been catering only for the safe business market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭sillild

I have asked esat this morning what they are going to do about Smart, with regards to Competition.

They told me

"Please be advised that Esat BT will be launching a new Broadband product on the 9th March which will be the strongest offer available to the Irish Broadband market."

Does anybody know what this is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Unfortunately the press release was mistakingly routed to the billing department and it hasn't been seen since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

sillild wrote:
    "Please be advised that Esat BT will be launching a new Broadband product on the 9th March which will be the strongest offer available to the Irish Broadband market."

The free trial ends on March 11th, so I'd say it'll be some time after this. Why not create a new thread with requests. I'm sure they'll be reading it. all the players read this and the IrelandOffline forum on a regular basis.

I cant wait for the new stuff to come out I think i will be going for esat no matter what they offer because I have no chance in the near future to get smart due to no fibre in Bray belonging to them. I have UTV at the minute and from mid march i am offically on a rolling contract. so i might wait a month or two to decide on what I am going to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I think 2mb down, 128K up is impossible, it'll never be reached. I figure ~870 bytes per packet would saturate the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

sillild wrote:
    I have asked esat this morning what they are going to do about Smart, with regards to Competition.

They told me

"Irish" being the key word, it'll still pale internationally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭zt

We have used Smart in the office for a while now. We are on their fibre network.

They made a lot of promises before installation that seemed crazy. For example, pricing was much cheaper than Eircom/Esat etc (50% of lowest quote).

When we were installed; they offered us TWICE the agreed bandwidth for NO ADDITIONAL COST.

My experience with Smart is all good. They are professional, friendly and honest.

I think the fact that an employee of Smart posted here is typical of the organisation. They are not afraid to take a different approach and listen to their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'll say this much for Smart, they're hungry for the business, not cocky sons of bitches like Esat. When a colleague down here was getting leased lines in they offered to bring their own lines in for free, no ties and no contracts, just in the hope of getting a bit of business at some time in the future. I like to see that kind of eagerness, which makes the hit and miss nature of this project, up to this point, so disappointing.

adam

To be honest i like the way smart are working. small things seem to bring down big business and they are making sure there on top of it all. The only fault I find and it aint with smart its with eircom come on what they should do is slowly allow them access to their exchanges not quickly allow them access to all of it since that is what is going to happen once the appeal from eircom is thrown out.
    If they slowly allowed them access they would be able to estimate the loss they might have if it keeps up but completely blocking access shows that they dont want any competition no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

zt wrote:
    We have used Smart in the office for a while now. We are on their fibre network.

They made a lot of promises before installation that seemed crazy. For example, pricing was much cheaper than Eircom/Esat etc (50% of lowest quote).

When we were installed; they offered us TWICE the agreed bandwidth for NO ADDITIONAL COST.

My experience with Smart is all good. They are professional, friendly and honest.

I think the fact that an employee of Smart posted here is typical of the organisation. They are not afraid to take a different approach and listen to their customers.

That's good to hear. I've signed up for Smart. I think they have a much better outlook on their customers needs than Eircom.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Unfortunately the press release was mistakingly routed to the billing department and it hasn't been seen since.

Oh that's gold. Times like this I miss rep system...

Garfield: any answers on the credit card form for me? thx

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Wertz wrote:
    Oh that's gold. Times like this I miss rep system...

Garfield: any answers on the credit card form for me? thx

I was told I could use the standard DD mandate form against a visa card (just continue writing the number when you run out of boxes) - make sure you include the last 3 digits of the security code from the back of your card though when you fax it to them.

Submitted ours last week, and it's receipt (and validity) was acknowledged via email.

Mixie wrote:
    I was told I could use the standard DD mandate form against a visa card (just continue writing the number when you run out of boxes) - make sure you include the last 3 digits of the security code from the back of your card though when you fax it to them.

Submitted ours last week, and it's receipt (and validity) was acknowledged via email.

Ah, thanks for that. I'll get right on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mido

Hi Garfield

Just a couple of queries, I've searched for both issues on this thread but couldn't find definitive answers;

You said earlier that existing lines which are not currently in use could be re-connected through yourselves or Eircom. Is this part of the 'free' connection promised by Smart or does this entail a fee?

Secondly, is your service compatible with Xbox live? Eircom and several other sites publicise their compatibility quite clearly, Smart don't mention it anywhere....

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭djmike

I've iolbb at da moment and am wondering when smart will be rolled out in Clonmel ?

The exchange code is CLMB.

any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Mixie wrote:

Did it take long for them to acknowledge? I sent mine in last Tuesday and haven't heard anything since, email or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Did it take long for them to acknowledge? I sent mine in last Tuesday and haven't heard anything since, email or otherwise.

The emailed back the same afternoon (though we had specifically requested an acknowledgement of receipt on the fax).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement