Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart employee happy to answer questions on bb rollout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

as a utvinternet customer i am curious to know if utv can match the smart offer?
    anyone any view on this-is it technically feasible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Steve S

Question for Garfield, since--even after reading this entire thread--I don't have a clear picture on it:

I'm a potential customer currently locked into a 12-month contract with another provider (IOL, as it happens). Your offer is attractive enough that I'd consider buying my way out of my existing contract.

How would you propose I proceed? In other words: what are the specific steps to be taken and in what order? Am I to sign up with Smart first and then attempt to buy out my existing contract? What if my existing provider refuses?

I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering what the procedure for switching is supposed to be. I know there's been some back and forth about this, but I'd like to hear from the Smart representative himself what he suggests we do so as to minimize gaps in coverage (and hopefully reduce it to zero).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Steve S wrote:
    Question for Garfield, since--even after reading this entire thread--I don't have a clear picture on it:

I'm a potential customer currently locked into a 12-month contract with another provider (IOL, as it happens). Your offer is attractive enough that I'd consider buying my way out of my existing contract.

How would you propose I proceed? In other words: what are the specific steps to be taken and in what order? Am I to sign up with Smart first and then attempt to buy out my existing contract? What if my existing provider refuses?

I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering what the procedure for switching is supposed to be. I know there's been some back and forth about this, but I'd like to hear from the Smart representative himself what he suggests we do so as to minimize gaps in coverage (and hopefully reduce it to zero).

There does not appear to be an answer to this. the most important thing to do is wait until things become clearer and dont start cancelling contracts yet!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

sixtysix wrote:
    as a utvinternet customer i am curious to know if utv can match the smart offer?
    anyone any view on this-is it technically feasible?

UTV are totally dependent on Eircom's wholesale products so basically the answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

This was probably asked already but i dont have time to search this thread.

So, i was wondering whether smart telecom give you a trial then you have to sign up for a year or can you cancel anytime you want?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

smart broadband said earlier that they will not be offering free trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

stalfos wrote:
    This was probably asked already but i dont have time to search this thread.

So, i was wondering whether smart telecom give you a trial then you have to sign up for a year or can you cancel anytime you want?

what trial do u expect for 10 euro pm? it will be a miracle if they genuinely do deliver broadband and telephony for 35euro, it will turn the irish telecom industry upside down.
    all this talk of caps is crazy as well. if smart want to say its unlimited subject to fair use thats fine, the terms should clearly state what fair use is ie consistanly downloading 40gig for 2 consequetive months.to not do this is both pointless and inviting trouble.
    also smart will get paid from their draw down loan for each customer registered whether connected or not. when they connect the first customer we shall see...................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Gonzo wrote:
    smart broadband said earlier that they will not be offering free trials.

No, i didnt mean a free trial, I ment do you have to when you order smart telecom broadband, do you have to agree to a contract for a year like eircom or Can you cancel at anytime?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It's a 12 month contract to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Can we park the discussion on excessive usage? If you don't like Smart Telecom's policy then don't avail of their service. Simple.

Garfield, if you're still with us, can you get back to us on the more pertinent question of first time line connections to your service?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Will have an answer in the morning, asked for it to be looked into.

Thanks,

Garfield.

Just wondering if you got that answer.
    About the credit card direct debit form in .pdf.

If so , any chance of you posting a link?

Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Looks like it'll be a while before the rollout now. Eircom just got a judicial review in the High Court on comregs order for Eircom to start LLU, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

penexpers wrote:
    Looks like it'll be a while before the rollout now. Eircom just got a judicial review in the High Court on comregs order for Eircom to start LLU, or whatever.

yep i think smart have been jumping the gun abit, i reakon it will happen but when who knows. id say towards the year end possibly.

Not necessarly. The current methods still work and will continue to, so smart will be able to progress as normal. ComReg and eircom are heading to the high court over new procedures that comreg want implemented on stream lining the LLU ordering process and stuff like that.

End result: Smart will no doubt continue as they've said they will, but they may not be able to connect as many customers as fast as they could have if eircom decided not to cause a fuss. Nothing is worse now than it was a few days ago, the problem is that it isn't any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I though Smart were basing their rollout on the streamlining of the LLU process?

Where'd you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Carpenter wrote:
    Hi
    I am with smart for my house phone and am into bb when i phoned the office they told me they dont know when i can get it ?
    1 will i get free line rental (i did try) :rolleyes:
    2 has anyone got a clue when this might happen this area is huge
    bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

He probably got bored with the endless crap about caps and gave up on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Blaster99 wrote:
    He probably got bored with the endless crap about caps and gave up on Boards.
    Blaster99/ All,

I was out of the office at meetings all day yesterday. There's a few questions and PMs that I need to get answered. I hope to get to them today or over the weekend.
    I haven't disappeared and all questions will be answered (I hope).

Garfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

WizZard wrote:
    I think Garfield has run away... :(

/me pats Slutmonkey57b on the back. Well said!

..or maybe he actually has some work to do :p

• Advertisement

Keep it civil please, or I'll take out the banning stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

GARFEILD

i got this email today ,and im wondering why your company told me that i will be on line in march,april before i sent in my direct debt info...and as soon as you get it ,you then tell me it wont be till may/june and what restrictions would you be on about .....to tell you the truth im getting abit worried now at this early stage ...not a great start to get people to have faith in your new company..when to you really think i can have an actice line

I would just like to confirm that Smart Telecom have received your registration for Smart Broadband. We want to inform you that our equipment will be in the Crumlin exchange in March/April however due to restrictions with civils works required to connect the exchange to our fibre, this exchange will not be live until May/June. I do apologise for any inconvenience caused. If you have any queries please email broadband@smarttelecom.ie and our team will assist you.

Regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

dubdvd wrote:
    GARFEILD

i got this email today ,and im wondering why your company told me that i will be on line in march,april before i sent in my direct debt info...and as soon as you get it ,you then tell me it wont be till may/june and what restrictions would you be on about .....to tell you the truth im getting abit worried now at this early stage ...not a great start to get people to have faith in your new company..when to you really think i can have an actice line
    Regards,

Dubdvd,

I hoped to get a post onto this notice board before that update was made. Unfortunately, I was out of the office all day yesterday.
    Just to explain what has happened:
    The preparation of the Crumlin exchange by eircom is on schedule.
    The installation of the DSLAM equipment to the exchange is on schedule.
    We've 'hit a wall' regarding completion of the civils works to the exchange.
    We need to have the civils works complete to get the exchange on net.

You're right, not a great start. That's my fault. We're trying to expedite it at present. I will keep you and the board up to date on it.

Apologies.

Garfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Garfield

I think that I may have caused some confusion today - when I spoke to someone at SMART today they indicated that I could use my ISDN line for Broadband. As a result of this I went ahead and registered my ISDN line rather than my analogue line which I currently use for ADSL. Now, I am not certain that you actually offer ADSL over ISDN ... how do I request my analogue line to be used by SMART? I ask because when I try to register this line I get an error because my Eircom account is already registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

no you cant get adsl over isdn unless they downgrade your line to analogue then upgrade it to broadband which costs money. so best thing to do is ring smart and ask them to swap the account onto the analogue line.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

colin300 wrote:
    no you cant get adsl over isdn unless they downgrade your line to analogue then upgrade it to broadband which costs money. so best thing to do is ring smart and ask them to swap the account onto the analogue line.

Thanks for that ... I suspected as much. Either the sales person misunderstood my question or he forgot to mention the downgrading bit.
    I was quoted about Euro 120 to downgrade many months ago but for various reasons did not proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

Any dates on Arklow getting this service?

Right, all the caps talk has been shifted off into it's own thread here. Continue all further "discusion" about it over there, not in here please. I suspect Garfield has said as much as he will, but if he has something else to add on the issue I'd ask him to add it in the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

dubdvd wrote:
    GARFEILD

i got this email today ......

I would just like to confirm that Smart Telecom have received your registration for Smart Broadband. We want to inform you that our equipment will be in the Crumlin exchange in March/April however due to restrictions with civils works required to connect the exchange to our fibre, this exchange will not be live until May/June. I do apologise for any inconvenience caused. If you have any queries please email broadband@smarttelecom.ie and our team will assist you.

Regards,
    Now you have *me* worried.
    I sent off my DD form last Monday.
    So far I've had no acknowledgement email or phone call.
    How long did it take them to email you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Hi Garfield,

In regards to people who have previously failed Eircom's line test you mentioned that they *might* pass Smart's test - how exactly would ASDL2+ improve their chances?
    Is it just the 'greater bandwidth over greater distance' or are there any other factors?

In my case, Eircom won't give me an exact reason for failing their test.
    The exchange is only a 2 minute walk from my house, so I doubt distance is an issue.
    Would Smart be able to find out specifically why a line fails?

Also, I'm currently tied down to a UTV Talk contract.
    If I sign up for Smart Broadband, will I have to cancel the UTV contact before Smart even test my line for suitability?
    I don't want to break a contract and then find out I can't avail of your
    service.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement