Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart employee happy to answer questions on bb rollout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

lomb wrote:
    where does the newlands cross exchange fit into the scheme of things? its newlands cross in clondalkin but i think there is another exchange in clondalkin- the clondalkin exchange that u are referring to above?

Yeah, the Newlands Cross exchange is different to the Clondalkin exchange, though Newlands Cross does serve areas that people would consider to be Clondalkin.

Unfortuntely, the Newlands Cross exchange is not near our fibre assets at present. That's why it wasn't included in the first phase, which is predominantly Dublin. At present we can't address the exchange on fibre, so it is off the build plan for the moment. Doesn't mean it can't come back on to the list, but that's where it stands at present.

Garfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Yeah, the Newlands Cross exchange is different to the Clondalkin exchange, though Newlands Cross does serve areas that people would consider to be Clondalkin.

Unfortuntely, the Newlands Cross exchange is not near our fibre assets at present. That's why it wasn't included in the first phase, which is predominantly Dublin. At present we can't address the exchange on fibre, so it is off the build plan for the moment. Doesn't mean it can't come back on to the list, but that's where it stands at present.

Garfield.

thanks :( probably best to tell ur phone sales people to not keep ringing us if there is no plan to enable it. best to spend their time productively

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I had to put Lomb on my Ignore list because he keeps quoting huge posts for no reason.

Whats the story on the Telephony Options Garfield , Wmart provide a full set of Telephony features ? .

Ta

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I had to put Lomb on my Ignore list because he keeps quoting huge posts for no reason.

Whats the story on the Telephony Options Garfield , Wmart provide a full set of Telephony features ? .

Ta

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Sponge Bob wrote:

Ta
    Sponge Bob,

I saw the post. Not ignoring it, just busy. Haven't spoken with the Switching guys, but yes they should all be there (barring the SMS service, which I don't believe is on the road map).
    I'll follow up with them.
    As for pricing, I've no idea. I'm sure someone does, so I'll ask.

Garfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭lynchie

Garfield.

There are two exchanges in Clondalkin - Nangor Road and Newlands Cross.

Looks like you have another customer once you sort out the upload speeds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

sorry if it has been asked already but with 300+ posts

Can you take customers who already have single billing with Esat for example. I only ask because i have had issues with other providers who said they could but then after comreg intervention found out they cant!!!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

Hi GarfieldConnoll,

Im living in phibsboro but am on the cabra eircom exchange, phibsboro is mentioned in phase 1 and am wondering will this include the cabra exchange, if so you have a customer here.

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi,

I've listed below the exchanges on the build programme as promised.

The further out the dates, the less sure they are. That's not a fudge, that's just project management.

Phase 1

Beggars Bush March / April
    Belcamp March / April
    Clondalkin March / April
    Coolock March / April
    Crown Alley March / April*
    Crumlin March / April
    Custom House Dock March / April*
    Dolphins Barn March / April
    North Main March / April
    Phibsboro March / April
    Santry March / April
    Ship Street March / April
    Summerhill March / April
    Tallaght March / April
    Walkinstown March / April
    Whitehall March / April

*Civils issues still be resolved.
    hase 4........................

What is 'Civils'? (it sounds bad!!!!) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hi,

The further out the dates, the less sure they are. That's not a fudge, that's just project management.
    <snip>
    You may need to check your list as it does not seem to be the full one
    Its at least missing BALLYBODEN
    Your phone number 1494**** is in the exchange BALLYBODEN. The exchange code is BLBG.
    Congratulations, Broadband is available to you! It will be available in July/August. Would you like to avail of this amazing offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

dub45 wrote:
    What is 'Civils'? (it sounds bad!!!!) :confused:

Civil Engineering - physically building the ducting to bring the fibre to the exchange, and any physical changes that may need to be made to the exchange, etc etc.

dahamsta wrote:
    Welcome to Boards Garfield, great to see an "operator" - .....

Moriarty calls this a rant and he has a point, but so does wideband. "No limits" is another phrase that is /seriously/ not welcome around here -- if it wasn't for Esat's explicit use of the phrase, IrelandOffline probably wouldn't exist and it's quite possible this forum wouldn't either. "No limits" on hosting and broadband products is snakeoil, you know it and we know it. So please, define "excessive". We're not looking for caps or explicit limits, but I certainly feel that a reasonable estimate of where Smart is going to draw the line is not too much to ask.

Thanks,
    adam

Firstly I am not a big downloader so a cap is not a major issue for me but fudging is!!! Surely there is a contractual issue here in that Smart are saying no limits etc BUT!............. How can that be permissable from a contractual point of view in that any consumer is entitled to know in advance what exactly he or she is purchasing. In this case we don't.

So at the moment Smart are saying there are unlimited downloads but we will tap you on the shoulder if you go ahead and act on what we tell you. (How is anyone not following this on boards for instance to know about the potential tap on the shoulder?) The web site clearly states ''No monthly limits'' but in fact we appear to be in 'Alice in Wonderland' territory in that NML does not mean NML it means what Smart decides it means.

A supplier who wants to establish and maintain a good reputation with its potential customers should be upfront and clear from the start. If Smart envisage a download limit then let them state it publicly - similarly with the contention ratio.

If we persist in believing and acting on what Smart are telling us what then? Will a customer be warned? Disconnected? Charged for exceeding a non existent cap?

Smart may mean well in taking this approach but I really do not think they are doing themselves or their customers any favours by fudging things at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Moriarty wrote:
    Civil Engineering - physically building the ducting to bring the fibre to the exchange, and any physical changes that may need to be made to the exchange, etc etc.
    And the associated paperwork of course, which is the real pain in the arse.

Moriarty wrote:

I knew it was bad looks like late in the year then!!! My UTV contract will easliy have run out by then!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I guess we won't be seeing Blessington on that list anytime soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    I am with smart for my house phone and am into bb when i phoned the office they told me they dont know when i can get it ?
    1 will i get free line rental (i did try) :rolleyes:
    2 has anyone got a clue when this might happen this area is huge

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Hi,

Phase 1

Beggars Bush March / April
    Belcamp March / April
    Clondalkin March / April
    Coolock March / April
    Crown Alley March / April*
    Crumlin March / April
    Custom House Dock March / April*
    Dolphins Barn March / April
    North Main March / April
    Phibsboro March / April
    Santry March / April
    Ship Street March / April
    Summerhill March / April
    Tallaght March / April
    Walkinstown March / April
    Whitehall March / April

*Civils issues still be resolved.

Phase 2

Castletroy May / June
    Churchfield May / June
    Clontarf May / June
    Cork Central May / June
    Dennehy's Cross May / June
    Dooradoyle May / June
    Dundalk May / June
    Galway HPO May / June
    Letterkenny May / June
    Mervue May / June
    Quaker Road May / June
    Rathedmund (Sligo) May / June
    Roches Street May / June
    Shantalla Galway May / June
    Tyrrelstown May / June
    Waterford May / June
    Waterford Tycor May / June
    Wellington Road May / June

Phase 3

Rathmines July / August
    Lucan Ballydowd July / August
    Wexford - Anne Street July / August
    Tullamore July / August
    Tralee July / August
    Thurles July / August
    Shannon Airport July / August
    Shannon Town July / August
    Athlone - Roslevin July / August
    Portlaoise July / August
    Naas July / August
    Mullingar July / August
    Mallow (SHB) July / August
    Kilkenny July / August
    Ennis July / August
    Dundrum July / August
    Carrick-on-Shannon July / August
    Carlow July / August
    Ballincollig July / August
    Ballina July / August
    Arklow July / August
    Dun Laoghaire July / August
    Oranmore July / August

Phase 4.

To be confirmed.

What about Blanchardstown ??????????????

Huge catchment area ... I would have thought this was one of the biggest exchanges in West Dublin ???????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

As he said Couch Potato when i asked about Bray they are only doing places there fibre goes to so until they expand there fibre network or a MAN is set up your like all us unlucky people.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Garfield - your line checker states that I'm on the BALLYBODEN exchange (which is obviously correct) and that it will be available in July/August ... however it's not on your recently posted list of exchanges :confused:
    Does this mean I have to wait 4ever :eek:
    I've already signed up etc. .......
    Thanks,
    Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

I wouldn't get too stressed at the moment he might have missed a few exchanges. I'm sure though if it says your exchange will be done it will be done. The database it is working off is most likely more correct no offence to Garfield.

His eyes are probably killing him from looking at the screen so long answering all the questions being thrown at him.

Sure while I'm here I'll ask one :)
    Are you as Smart Telecom employing technicans to come out to people houses to make sure everything is ok if there is a fault on the line or are you contracting it out to another company or are you giving the responsiblity to Eircom because if you are then your customers will get terrible service as Eircom will give second priority to Smart telecom as they do if you have cps or anything else with utv or esat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

iano wrote:
    Garfield,
    From Smart Telecom FAQ
    We require a direct debit payment. This is an advanced monthly payment that is taken from either your bank account or a credit card. Download a Direct Debit mandate form here (PDF format).
    The form is not suitable for Credit Card payment. Do you have an alternative one that is?
    Garfield, did you miss this question or is it on your list?
    The form that we are required to download, complete and submit is NOT suitable for Credit Card payment. It only caters for bank account direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Also on the web site, it requires a userid and password to read the terms and Conditions documents.

Can this be views before signing up...

Download Terms & Conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ando

This ADSL2+ technology, whats its reach from the exchange? I was thinking of getting a second deticated phone line for this product. I'm using someone else's line at the mo for eircom Radsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

This is one long thread.. I got to page 11 and got bored..

Firstly, thanks to the rep for taking the time out to answer all the questions. I have one question which I am still unsure about.. Well maybe 2 questions..

1) Given that we would have free line rental and cheap 2mb broadband, what sort of charges would be incurred for standard calls? I don't see anything there.. I don't want to sign up to a 12 month contract and then be killed for call prices.

2) Do you support migrations from the Eircom adsl service to you service? I'm guessing probably not because adsl2+ is different, correct?

Just want to clarify that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

dub45 wrote:
    Garfield has pointed out a couple of times in the thread that full details will be available before a customer actually signs a contract. Smarts call charges are available on the web site and they are hardly like to change too much.

Migration is a very gentle word for what is likely to be a painfull extraction process and there are no details yet of any migration proposals.

I work for an ISP, a migration for us is zero loss of service switching a comparable service from one provider to another keeping the existing line.

But let us call a word a word, what sort of downtime is an average eircom broadband customer looking at switching from eircom to smart telecom.

Also, I found the call rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think Smart should not be discouraged by what may seem petty complaints. It means there is a huge interest in the product. But they should stick to what they appear to be doing, i.e., a very cheap product aimed at the mass market. In order to compete, Eircom and their resellers will have to bring out DSL at ten euros/month if the Eircom line rental is to stay where it is. There is huge untapped demand for very low priced broadband in Ireland.

SkepticOne wrote:
    There is huge untapped demand for very low priced broadband in Ireland.

there is hugh untapped demand for anything cheap be it houses, cars or airtravel. CHEAP sells and sells big.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

I was largely ignoring dub45's objections on the assumption that the LLU process would allow Smart Telecom to take control of a Customer's line with appropriate authorisation from the Customer.

This would mean a clean cutover (couple of hours downtime max.) and the Customer then cancelling Netsource/UTV/Eircom/whatever BB and paying for a month's unused service.

BUT
    Eircom's Process Manual for the Services: unbundled local metallic path and line sharing states:
    3.5.2.3. Competing Services
    It is accepted that lines with Bitstream can be unbundled.
    Where an LLU order is received from an Access Seeker for the provision of an LLU service on a line, which already has a Bitstream Service in place or pending, the LLU order will be rejected pending the removal of the Bitstream Service.
    This guiding principle will allow eircom Wholesale manages the provision and ceasing of competing services.
    Once the competing service has been removed, the Access Seeker can submit a new order requesting service to be provided.
    So it appears that you cannot switch a line that has existing broadband without weeks (and potentially months) of downtime.

Garfield , nowhere do you make that clear. You either need to get that changed or forget about it!

iano wrote:
    I was largely ignoring dub45's objections ...................appears that you cannot switch a line that has existing broadband without weeks (and potentially months) of downtime.

Garfield , nowhere do you make that clear. You either need to get that changed or forget about it!

My points are not meant as objections I can assure you - Smart would save me almost 35 euros a month so I want them to succeed - but it concerns me greatly (as you may have noticed:)) that they give no indication whatsover of ever having considered the switchover problems until it was raised on boards. And I did not know about the Eircom stuff until you pointed it out in your post.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Surprise Surprise :(

Eircom have appealed both the proposed LLU Pricing and the proposed LLU Process matrix.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=226345

Smart will probably start servicing customers in May at the earliest Dub45 , as you said .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement