Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

After my first year of insuring as a classic with Campion I have just received the renewal notice in the door from them and they have raised the bloody thing by €90 :mad:

Anyone else witness an increase in the past 6 months with these guys ?

I thought I was going to be on the decreasing insurance scale with this second car of mine, but that hasn't worked out for me and my 'cheap' classic insurance is now working out to be 50% of the value of the car per annum.

Now looks like I have to go chasing the other suspects (FirstChoice, FBD, Carole Nash) in order to try and secure better. Car is only 19 years old though so some of these may not even quote.

If I can't do better on the quote I think I will insure but then just cancel after 6 months as I keep the car off the road for the winter. Even with cancellation fees I might get a few quid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

so fustrating isnt it, i just got my quote from AXA and it has gone up nearly 140 muppets and they have changed details again on it.. Im going to ring that special branch hopefully thor will answer haha of FBD at lunch and see what the sca is with then have sent in a request to a broker also to see what they come back with

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Did you try First Ireland or Carole Nash?

OMG Thank you just rang First Ireland and me thinks I have managed to get it for around €300 with breakdown cover wow. So happy and the girl I spoke to was lovely really helpful.. Now to get back to axa the muppets cant wait to be rid of them they are such twats.. thank you all hopefully ill have great new insurance and not paying too much for it.

Eircooled has a discount scheme with both insurers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

I'm about to renew with Axa - they want 300e and wouldn't go lower than that (Fully comprehensive + motor rescue as standard).

Will ring Carole Nash and First Ireland and see if they can do it cheaper, because 300 euro for a car that isn't driven for most of the time in the year is a bit too much. Even 350 euro for a 1 litre daily seems to be too much.

I had mine with Axa and twas €400 odd last year, this years quote was €540 :0!! that's is with breakdown which was about the only handy thing. first Ireland who I have to say were great to speak to said first €430 with breakdown and all that goes and then lowered it to €308 when I said I didn't really drive her that far so they are quoting for 6,000 miles per year which is loads.. I spoke to Derbhla if tis any good she was straight forward.

When I rang axa back finally got someone nice they would only lower it to €480 and that was taken off a few things like legal costs and something like that but then she could not send me a revised quote that I could check myself as their system would not allow it, rubbish system. She just said to watch that they offer a non claims protection on the new cover

Diabhalta wrote: »
    I'm about to renew with Axa - they want 300e and wouldn't go lower than that (Fully comprehensive + motor rescue as standard).

Will ring Carole Nash and First Ireland and see if they can do it cheaper, because 300 euro for a car that isn't driven for most of the time in the year is a bit too much. Even 350 euro for a 1 litre daily seems to be too much.

I was with Axa for years, but find First Ireland much better, particularly on a multi-car policy. I was paying under 300 for two cars on limited mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

So... I rang Carole Nash, after all the info I gave them they said 370 euro. So I was like: naaaah man, too much fo di car that I barely drive... After putting me on hold 2 times and speaking to the manager he is like: 170e (fully comprehensive+motor rescue). ... That's more like it.

Ah well done to you!! I suppose the being on hold was all worth it in the end.. Must finilize me own now with first Ireland hopefully twill work out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Diabhalta wrote: »
    So... I rang Carole Nash, after all the info I gave them they said 370 euro. So I was like: naaaah man, too much fo di car that I barely drive... After putting me on hold 2 times and speaking to the manager he is like: 170e (fully comprehensive+motor rescue). ... That's more like it.

Unreal. Just goes to show playing hardball is always worth a shot come renewal time. Lots of them seem to be just picking a high figure out of their arse and seeing if the customer will accept it.

Mm I must go and get membership to a club to cover on the insurance. anyone recommend a good one

Milly33 wrote: »
    Mm I must go and get membership to a club to cover on the insurance. anyone recommend a good one

Scroll up a bit.

You are the one and Only!! Sorry it had to be said sorry for missing that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

are there any companies out there offering classic policys on cars less than 20 years old?i've a 16 year old car there that i want to get back on the road to enjoy at the weekend,bring to shows etc,campion gave me a quote last year but when i rang them 2 weeks ago they had "changed underwritters at xmas" and were only dealing with cars 20 years old and over now,i can get ordinary insurance on it but it'll cost me around the thousand mark which i'm not prepared to pay as i'll only be covering a maximum of 2 to 3000km per year if i even manage that,i have a second vehicle on the road full time,i'm 33 with full clean licence and ncb,anyone any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

My renewal is up soon and the best classic quote I got was from FBD. €185 on a '79 924. Unfortunately I can't go with them because their quote on my daily driver is ridiculous. Two phone calls to my current insurer (First Ireland) managed to reduce my premium by €60, so I'll be sticking with them another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Hi i have my 95 bmw 520i insured with this crowd in the north for 230 euro fully comp 5000mls limit .
    http://www.autoline.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rhapsodyinblu

Hi guys, hopefully somebody here might be able to give me some insight into this.

My family has a classic car. VW Beetle 1973. I have just passed my driving test (I'm 22). My parents both drive other cars and I'm looking into getting insured on the Beetle. Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? I've heard that many companies won't insure you (for a reasonable price) unless you're over 25 or have had your licence for a certain amount of time.

Any suggestions? I'm currently insured on my dads car with AXA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you wont get Classic Insurance until you are 25 and have your own main policy. You probably will find (after a struggle) someone to insure you under a normal policy . There is no cheap route to insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

Hi guys, hopefully somebody here might be able to give me some insight into this.

My family has a classic car. VW Beetle 1973. I have just passed my driving test (I'm 22). My parents both drive other cars and I'm looking into getting insured on the Beetle. Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? I've heard that many companies won't insure you (for a reasonable price) unless you're over 25 or have had your licence for a certain amount of time.

Any suggestions? I'm currently insured on my dads car with AXA.

we have our 35 year old Cortina insured with axa on normal policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭flowers345

Are there any companies out there offering classic policys if you have no other car and you use the public transport to get around? Would use it for max 1000 miles per year tops. Older driver, no previous claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

flowers345 wrote: »
    Are there any companies out there offering classic policys if you have no other car and you use the public transport to get around? Would use it for max 1000 miles per year tops. Older driver, no previous claims.

First Ireland did this for me a couple of years ago, with a single classic car on the policy and also with 2. It was a bit more expensive than if I also had a standard car policy but not by a huge amount. They're also very nice to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

quenching wrote: »
    First Ireland did this for me a couple of years ago, with a single classic car on the policy and also with 2. It was a bit more expensive than if I also had a standard car policy but not by a huge amount. They're also very nice to deal with.

No they're not. They probably are IF your car meets their definition of a classic. Mine didn't, despite the fact the reason they gave me for not insuring it was in no way correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

blastman wrote: »
    No they're not. They probably are IF your car meets their definition of a classic. Mine didn't, despite the fact the reason they gave me for not insuring it was in no way correct.

Your experience of them differs from mine. I've had several cars insured with them for many years and they've been more than helpful and friendly. They've found ways to bend the rules with some of my cars and when an accident claim was needed they couldn't have been more professional and diligent. I'm quite happy to recommend them to anyone.

insurance quotes with the regular insurance are way over the top. 1500 yesterday and this morning i found one for 1000

homingbird wrote: »
    Hi i have my 95 bmw 520i insured with this crowd in the north for 230 euro fully comp 5000mls limit .
    http://www.autoline.co.uk/
    They are very nice people but unfortunately they only insure second vehicles and in case of an accident the first thing they do is look for your first registered car insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Anyone any experience insuring a non-standard classic along with a daily?

I have a 1990 3 series which I'm restoring and have added a few additions to, the main culprit for insurance being a e36 engine and coilovers but it also has a oem bmw tec 2 kit fitted, rare seats, expensive wheels etc all things which it didnt come with out of the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Imported but

Anyone aware of the best option for this situation at the moment? To save money on road tax am looking to buy a 30+ yr old diesel, since I walk or bus mainly and would only be making 20 trips a year in the car. Hopefully get something that is not too manic at 120 kph - have had older cars before and would rather not go back to having intrusive wind / engine noise at high speed. Also to be practical am looking at a medium sized hatchback or estate. Have full licence & NCB, and am with FBD currently for my 01 Toyota which I'll be selling, was previously with AXA...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

unless you are going to lie, you'll have to pay full price for the insurance which will probably be higher than on the Avensis, so there wont really be a saving. Getting a 30+ yr old diesel through the NCT will not be that easy either. Why do you want a diesel when you are making so little use of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Good point there petrol probably a better bet plus larger selection, thought you did not need a NCT for 30+ cars??

Advertisement