Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

NCT exemption is for cars first registered before 1/1/1980. It's been like that over five years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

So a independant engineer's report is no longer acceptable I assume.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Hi All,

can someone please let me know if following is a good quote or not?
    Thats my first quote I got:

2 Litre car (1995)

Quote: 470 (with vintage club fee incluided)

Is that much or okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Imported but

Can you provide any more details? Who is the quote from? Is this a specific policy for a classic car (i.e. not your daily runner)? Is it 3rd party fire & theft or comprehensive? Is there an annual mileage limit? What make / model is the car? How many years No Claims Bonus and how many years full driving licence do you have?
    If this was a quote for a daily runner, I would think it's not too bad at all given the engine size and your relative youth. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Posted this in Motors, but probably better suited here......

"I used to insure my '94 3 series through 123 for afew years, up until 2013 when I switched to First Ireland as I was putting a classic on the policy as well. That classic is now gone and I was looking forward to getting a nice cheap (sub €300) quote for the old beemer again. Ive tried 123 and Chill and neither system will give me anything....
    Since theres been no points/convictions/claims since, am I right in thinking that since the car has gone 20 years old, Im going to have to get a classic policy for that too!??"

I also have a '92 Mini now. My renewal from First Ireland for both comes in at €540. I was just hunting around for separate policies on each so that Id have some bargaining power with First Ireland to drive down that premium abit. I saved about €70 last year doing that. This time though, I can't get a quote from any of the main companies on either car......

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭52paddy

I'm 24 years old and will be 25 in January. I've found it difficult to get classic insurance for a car I want to buy (1988 Mazda 323) due to my age. However, Carol Nash allow you to open a classic policy once you're over 23. The unfortunate problem is that they won't cover anything Japanese (even though this car is an originally Irish registered car). I wonder can anybody provide suggestions...?

It's not the end of the world. I'll just shop around for another non-Japanese motor that takes my fancy instead. But this yoke is nice and if I could sort out insurance I'd buy it at the weekend.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

52paddy wrote: »
    I'm 24 years old and will be 25 in January. I've found it difficult to get classic insurance for a car I want to buy (1988 Mazda 323) due to my age. However, Carol Nash allow you to open a classic policy once you're over 23. The unfortunate problem is that they won't cover anything Japanese (even though this car is an originally Irish registered car). I wonder can anybody provide suggestions...?

It's not the end of the world. I'll just shop around for another non-Japanese motor that takes my fancy instead. But this yoke is nice and if I could sort out insurance I'd buy it at the weekend.

Thanks

you could try "autoline" up north or "campion" for the craic,they do classic cover but there terms and conditions do state you will have to be over 25 and have another main vehicle on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Silvera, Can you phone me re your query.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Paul_os

Hey had a read through this thread but couldn't find the answer. Does anyone have a classic policy with campion using a motor bike as their primary vehicle? Or does it have to be a car?

Thanks,
    Paul

• Advertisement

Paul_os wrote: »
    Hey had a read through this thread but couldn't find the answer. Does anyone have a classic policy with campion using a motor bike as their primary vehicle? Or does it have to be a car?

Thanks,
    Paul

why dont you just ring them and ask?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Paul_os wrote: »

Thanks,
    Paul

On my policy with Allianz through Autoline in NI there is a box which says "do you have the use of an everyday car or motorcycle" worth giving them a shout I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭breanoh

Hi Guys,

Any advice for me? I have a 00 Renault Twingo recently imported that I'm restoring. I have been tearing my hair out trying to get her on a limited mileage policy as a 2nd car.. All the research I did said that I could get it insured, Best Quote Etc, but when I called around over the last few days no-one will touch it until it turns 20, They're all saying they've changed underwriters... and it's now 20, Carole Nash's main site says 15 for classic, but when I call they're telling me it's over 20..

Basically.. Any advice on any way I might be able to get my lovely Twingo on a classic/limited mileage policy or do I have to stick her in the garage for the next 5 years.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭breanoh

Hi Guys,

Any advice for me? I have a 00 Renault Twingo recently imported that I'm restoring. I have been tearing my hair out trying to get her on a limited mileage policy as a 2nd car.. All the research I did said that I could get it insured, Best Quote Etc, but when I called around over the last few days no-one will touch it until it turns 20, They're all saying they've changed underwriters... and it's now 20, Carole Nash's main site says 15 for classic, but when I call they're telling me it's over 20..

Basically.. Any advice on any way I might be able to get my lovely Twingo on a classic/limited mileage policy or do I have to stick her in the garage for the next 5 years.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I've run up against the same issue. I went to buy a car recently only to find out that they now won't cover a car until it's over 20 years old. It used to be 15. Any advice or are insurers still covering cars at 15 as a second car with limited mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Have you tried the vintage car club?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

breanoh wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

C-N have lost the plot. They refused to insure a 25 yr old classic for me this week. Told me they don't insure any 'mass produced ' cars. Really? Like wtf ? What cars 25 yrs old or not, were NOT mass produced ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ba_barabus wrote: »
    now won't cover a car until it's over 20 years old. It used to be 15.

It never really was 15 years though, unless the car was deemed to be "special", or if you could convince the insurer that it was.

unkel wrote: »
    It never really was 15 years though, unless the car was deemed to be "special", or if you could convince the insurer that it was.

it was with campion until this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

unkel wrote: »

Used to be 15 as pointed out above.

Sadly I've been offered a car I'd like to keep long term but now as it stands I can't drive it for 5 years. I'd still like it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Has anyone here managed to get classic insurance on a porsche boxster ?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

If it's a 1995 car(probably not being a Boxster) some Brokers insure 20 year old cars as a second car, but being less then 20 years old probably not. You'll have to wait a couple of more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Has anyone here managed to get classic insurance on a porsche boxster ?

Typically any Porsche would be considered exotic and as such eligible for classic insurance when 15 years old. Try for yourself though by ringing all relevant insurers. Keep us updated too please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Lads, I am looking for somebody to insure my 26 year old daily driver.

My previous daily driver got stolen in Limerick (I hate you Limerick!) and I got this as a daily and insured it with Carole Nash (I also have one more classic car with them). Back then when I was insuring it they asked me what's my main car, so I told them the one that got stolen (well, I didn't tell them that). I was hoping to get my car back but it didn't happen because guards are langers (rang me 2 weeks after the car got stolen saying that the case was in the wrong garda station bla bla bla... useless people really). My insurance was up for for renewal 2 weeks ago and the insurance went up a lot! I used to pay like 400 euro for that 1 litre car (full no claims bonus and all that) and all of a sudden they asked for 650 euro (250 euro extra... WHAT???). I went there and asked about it but got no direct answer. Anyway, I asked them how much would the other car cost and they gave me a quote around 850 euro. 1 litre car from 1994 650 euro, 1.8 litre car from 1990 850 euro. They both are basically same - no airbags, no ABS etc. Only that the first car had like 54hp and the current one has 140hp.

So the question is who would insure the car for few bob. I could ring Carole Nash and let them know about the circumstances and see what happens. I would personally be happy to pay anything around 400 euro. Car isn't over 30 years so motor tax is 630 euro (which is a joke for those roads... absolute and utter joke) - then I need new petrol tank, wishbones, front bushings, injectors sorted ... new set of tires for NCT etc.).

Any tips? Got online quote from Chill insurance for 1400 euro. That's definitely not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

double post

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

I am still hoping to eventually get our '95 Toyota Starlet 1.33 litre petrol (3 door model, 75 bhp) insured on a classic car insurance. Does anyone know if there is a broker or insurance company I could turn to who actually would think a 20-year-old Japanese car is a classic and not get all snooty about it?

We drive it perhaps 2000 or 3000 km per year, and it's off the road at the moment due to ridiculous insurance renewal quotes in December...

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Will a commercial police in my name count as my first vechele

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jin47

Hey everyone,
    I falled on that thread and I would like to know if someone has useful contacts to give me to find an insurance.
    We arrived in ireland (from France) with our 1979 volkswagen LT28 and we plan to use it for holidays ( max 2000-3000 km per year).
    We are really struggling to find an insurance. For the moment we had only declines (you have to have a main car, we don't insure van, we don't insure because it is not a campervan with 1.8m height inside).
    Does someone has a hint of were I could search to insure our car?
    Thank you all and good luck to all the people struggling like us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Jin47 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    I falled on that thread and I would like to know if someone has useful contacts to give me to find an insurance.
    We arrived in ireland (from France) with our 1979 volkswagen LT28 and we plan to use it for holidays ( max 2000-3000 km per year).
    We are really struggling to find an insurance. For the moment we had only declines (you have to have a main car, we don't insure van, we don't insure because it is not a campervan with 1.8m height inside).
    Does someone has a hint of were I could search to insure our car?
    Thank you all and good luck to all the people struggling like us!

Have you tried to get a quote via insurance brokers?

- First Ireland, Dublin http://www.firstireland.ie/
    - Brophy Insurance http://www.brophys.ie/

From what I have read, an insurance broker may be the best way to get 'non-standard' insurance as they can negotiate with insurance companies.

Alternatively, try the 'Irish Motor Caravan Club' http://www.imcc.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

May have jumped the gun a little with my Spitfire project. I removed the original Triumph 1.3litre (75hp) engine and replaced it with a Toyota 4EFE engine 1.3litre (75hp). Carol Nash refused to insure, as did First Ireland, Arachas and Campion, still witing for a call back from a couple but the best quote, in fact the only quote thus far has been through Auto Line NI who got me a quote through Allianz for €241.50 fully comp with 3000 miles, I made sure that this WAS taking the engine swap into account which he assured me it did!

Phew! :o

Advertisement