Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,925 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It is linked directly from within "the" sticky along with another bunch of helpful links :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Are there any classic insurance policies that allow named drivers?

I have full time use of a company van, so I sold my car and currently have no insurance.

I would like to get my father to insure a classic, and put me as a named driver, for occasional use.

I am over 25, if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

i cant see it being a problem your father will have to have a daily driver with a current insurance policy on it , ring around axa, first ireland , carol nash pretty much them all there is a list of them in the original post on this thread i think the phone numbers might not be current best of luck and enjoyment in your classic

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

Sure why would ya want to be a named driver when insurance with fbd is only €155 for the year just become a member of the irish vintage society,€20.(there is an application form some where in this thread)that would have you on the road with your own insurance for €175 for the year!!!

mk2 wrote: »
    Sure why would ya want to be a named driver when insurance with fbd is only €155 for the year just become a member of the irish vintage society,€20.(there is an application form some where in this thread)that would have you on the road with your own insurance for €175 for the year!!!

That would be great, but it was my understanding, to qualify for this, you need to have private insurance in your own name on another car.

• Advertisement

axa and carol nash insure you if you have a commercial insurance maybe others do also i think first ireland do as well

kasper wrote: »
    axa and carol nash insure you if you have a commercial insurance maybe others do also i think first ireland do as well

The problem is I don't have any insurance in my name. The van I drive is insured with the company under an open drive policy.

ring them all and ask all they can say is no

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

Just to add a little something to this (as if we didn't know by now).

I'm with Carole Nash but I saw a post about irishvintage.net and so I asked for a classic quote from my other car's insurers (FBD) based on my joining IVS (at a cost of €25). The result was €200, so €225 in total.

My renewal with Carole Nash was €301 so I called to cancel. They instantly matched €225 without membership of IVS.

ALWAYS ask for a reduction. The price is never the price.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Renewed the other day with First Ireland.

I introduced a bit of competition into the equation and got almost 20% off the premium! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lav1

postdarwin wrote: »
    Just to add a little something to this (as if we didn't know by now).

I'm with Carole Nash but I saw a post about irishvintage.net and so I asked for a classic quote from my other car's insurers (FBD) based on my joining IVS (at a cost of €25). The result was €200, so €225 in total.

My renewal with Carole Nash was €301 so I called to cancel. They instantly matched €225 without membership of IVS.

ALWAYS ask for a reduction. The price is never the price.

is that with an agreed value and was it for fully comp? mines up for renewal in afew weeks so i need to start looking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Stiffs wrote: »
    http://www.irishvintage.net/

By Far the cheapest around.. Up to you whether you want a window dressing or fully comp all in.

Does anyone know if these folks will cover me for a vintage as my sole car/with no other insurance? I'd probably do under 5k miles pa, have loads of named driver experience and my age, sadly, is on my side insurance-wise.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ Unfortunately, I very much doubt it.

From my brief dealings the idea was that your classic was very much a #2 car.
    Worth giving them call though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Does anyone know if these folks will cover me for a vintage as my sole car/with no other insurance? I'd probably do under 5k miles pa, have loads of named driver experience and my age, sadly, is on my side insurance-wise.

Thanks!

Did you have any luck finding a place. I am in the same boat I was insured with AXA but the Cork branch are a bunch of muppets so i cancelled it this year thinking i would get someone else but no luck so far

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

My insurance is up for renewal. With AXA last year. 2 cars --

1 MGA 1.8 Fully comp value 20k
    2 JBA 2.0 Fully comp value 8k

Renewal price from AXA E402.00
    Price from C.N. E263.00

WHAT WILL I DO !!!!!!

I"v checked and both cars have agreed mileage of 4000 per year
    Breakdown and Home Assist are included
    Covers motoring in UK
    Covers motoring in Europe for 30 consecutive days.

Bit of a dilemma!!!!. What gets me is --- AXA have no loyalty to their
    existing clients.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That's business - move!

I very reluctantly moved last year from AXA.

They had been great, and very accommodating in insuring me on car trips with UK plates on a couple of occasions, but their quotes just kept going up and were nearly as much as what I was paying elsewhere for our 06 Passat.

Called Aviva and they offered me essentially the same policy for about 40% less.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

marathont wrote: »
    Are there any classic insurance policies that allow named drivers?

I have full time use of a company van, so I sold my car and currently have no insurance.

I would like to get my father to insure a classic, and put me as a named driver, for occasional use.

I am over 25, if that makes a difference.
    i moved from AXA last year to Campion sparrow insurance,i just realised this year ,it has open driving for anyone with a full irish licence,all for the princely sum of €125,car has to be over 25 years old.
    hope that helps ?
    tel 0578695700

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

salysol wrote: »
    i moved from AXA last year to Campion sparrow insurance,i just realised this year ,it has open driving for anyone with a full irish licence,all for the princely sum of €125,car has to be over 25 years old.
    hope that helps ?
    tel 0578695700
    forgot to mention u must be over 25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Milly33 wrote: »
    Did you have any luck finding a place. I am in the same boat I was insured with AXA but the Cork branch are a bunch of muppets so i cancelled it this year thinking i would get someone else but no luck so far

I haven't looked into it yet but will do in coming days and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

mountai wrote: »
    My insurance is up for renewal. With AXA last year. 2 cars --

1 MGA 1.8 Fully comp value 20k
    2 JBA 2.0 Fully comp value 8k

Renewal price from AXA E402.00
    Price from C.N. E263.00

WHAT WILL I DO !!!!!!

I"v checked and both cars have agreed mileage of 4000 per year
    Breakdown and Home Assist are included
    Covers motoring in UK
    Covers motoring in Europe for 30 consecutive days.

Bit of a dilemma!!!!. What gets me is --- AXA have no loyalty to their
    existing clients.

Check is there are charges for amendments on the CN policy and is there an excess for glass cover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I rang First Ireland Insurance today and got a very keen quote for Classic Insurance. My car is now insured to drive but until I produce a document of 5 years no claims I won't get my policy number. For the last 5 years I have been with Quinn Insurance, the first 2 years as private and the last 3 years as Taxi Insurance and the girl on the phone I spoke with said she can only send me out a NCB of 3years only.
    I argued my point that I have been with them for the last 5 years but she can't see my point. All I want is a letter stating that Quinn have insured me for the last 5 years and in that time I haven't made any claims.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

All insurance companies are legally bound to send you out a no claims cert every year when your renewel comes up so did you not get these for the last five years??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

Was told today at an insurance brokers that is is impossible to get full insurance on a '75 Land rover as its too old, Is this true?

I would think he should have phrased it properly as in they wont insure you in their Company..

Is it your only car, if so AXA are probably the best. If you have another car and will just be using this on the side you should get insureed through any of the Vintage clubs for half nothing. I got it on my dads car for €25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

May also be to do with my age, Cant believe a 20 year can not get normal insurance in a vehicle that will be kept under 55MPH maximum

Ah id say not the company is probably just being tarded. I know it is far from a landrover, but I have a 73 VW bug and she was the first car i drove and i would have been what 21 perhaps getting insured in it.

You should try asking a few people in the company also. With AXA first I was told that they do not insure classic cars, then i was given a quote of €500 or something, then told that quote didnt stand eventually i has to get my mum to contact the sales manager to quote me for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Am with Carole Nash, paid cq. €250 last year. Got the renewal in the post today: €580.88! :eek::eek::eek:

I'm not paying that much on a daily use 735!:mad:

Anyone else had similar and where did you end up going?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 john1697

The Hibernian aviva policy requires you to have another car insured for normal da to day driving. Does this policy have to be with hibernian or could it be with the likes off quinn or axa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ondeball

I'm with Sertus now but go through www.bestquote.ie.

I'm thinking of changing to the Ulster Bank offer this year just to have everything centralised with them, they're offering to take over my health insurance as well so i could qualify for reduced rates.

The best way of getting the cheapest quote is normally to use something like www.chill.ie or www.nononsense.ie and then call whoever they suggest - much like you'd do with airline seats and www.skyscanner.net

I came across this page as well when researching (I'm more than a little obsessed with using the Internet to save money that can be used for travelling :) ) http://www.irishtimes.com/money/car-insurance/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Janeboylan

Hey I wondering if anyone can help me?

I would love to get a Classical Land Rover Dender but I want to drive it as a everyday car. Can anyone tell me roughly what the insurance and tax might costs.
    Also is it hard to fix them my partner has a Defender its a 00, he normally gets the parts for the Dender over the internet and fixes any problems by himself using the manual.
    I would be happy with one from the 90's but I wouldn't be able to afford the tax

Advertisement