Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Jin47 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    I falled on that thread and I would like to know if someone has useful contacts to give me to find an insurance.
    We arrived in ireland (from France) with our 1979 volkswagen LT28 and we plan to use it for holidays ( max 2000-3000 km per year).
    We are really struggling to find an insurance. For the moment we had only declines (you have to have a main car, we don't insure van, we don't insure because it is not a campervan with 1.8m height inside).
    Does someone has a hint of were I could search to insure our car?
    Thank you all and good luck to all the people struggling like us!

Another possibility is Dolmen Insurances they have a dedicated camper team who are very courteous and also do a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

Hi guys ,

I'm in a bit of a predicament . I am looking to get Classic insurance on a 1992 (24 years old)Jeep wrangler YJ 2.5 petrol but cannot obtain a quote .

I have been told by "First Ireland" and "Carol Nash" that they won't quote me as its a jeep not a classic car , despite it being taxed privately . "FBD" and "AXA" won't quote as its not 25 years old!

I have a daily driver insured in my own name with "Aviva" , but they don't do classic insurance .

I want to put my 29 year old adult son as a named driver on the classic policy , is there any insurer out there that will offer a quote on this model car in my circumstances ? Any Help greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I just got a renewal for my 20-year old Honda Prelude, I've been with AXA for 5 years.

It doubled to over a thousand euros!

Autoline.co.uk - 250 euro.

Sense prevails.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

Is Autolink.co.uk not only for NI customers, or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Lellostag wrote: »

They do classic policies for us Mexicans, but not regular private policies.

• Advertisement

Lellostag wrote: »

You are, they are quite happy to cover southern drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I have a 91 Jap import Crx insured with Autoline.
    No classic car insurance companies in the South would insure a Jap import.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

alastair wrote: »
    They do classic policies for us Mexicans, but not regular private policies.

Thanks that clarifies. Will have to get a quote off them then! :)

The price they gave me was so low I thought they'd made a mistake. I asked her to repeat it, she did, and I jumped down her throat saying "I'm in!"

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Wow that might shake up some of the companies down south.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I will give them a buzz too. Do they require a Main car ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Anyone got a link to their site? I just see Japanese import traders?

Edit: never mind, noticed from one if the other posts it's autoline not autolink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

80sDiesel wrote: »
    I will give them a buzz too. Do they require a Main car ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

I had trouble with taxing a car quite some time ago because it was insured by a UK company and the insurance certificate didn't have "Road Traffic Act 1966" written at the top of it. That was back in the days before the internet was something anybody had heard of beyond academics!
    Do you get an insurance "Disc" from Autolink? Does the certificate have this heading?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

Senor Frog wrote: »
    Hi guys ,

I'm in a bit of a predicament . I am looking to get Classic insurance on a 1992 (24 years old)Jeep wrangler YJ 2.5 petrol but cannot obtain a quote .

I have been told by "First Ireland" and "Carol Nash" that they won't quote me as its a jeep not a classic car , despite it being taxed privately . "FBD" and "AXA" won't quote as its not 25 years old!

I have a daily driver insured in my own name with "Aviva" , but they don't do classic insurance .

I want to put my 29 year old adult son as a named driver on the classic policy , is there any insurer out there that will offer a quote on this model car in my circumstances ? Any Help greatly appreciated :)
    Think I'm in the same boat with a '73 Jeep CJ6

its old enough but I have penalty points

Prosta wrote: »
    Think I'm in the same boat with a '73 Jeep CJ6

its old enough but I have penalty points
    I have a '91 hi-lux insured with FBD through the IVS scheme for vintage commercials.
    It's only 150 Euro I think.
    Give them a call:
    http://www.irishvintagesociety.ie/

Tried Autoline in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Tried Autoline in NI?

I emailed them over a week ago seeking a quote and havent received a reply to date. Doesnt inspire confidence?!

Silvera wrote: »
    I emailed them over a week ago seeking a quote and havent received a reply to date. Doesnt inspire confidence?!

I've mailed them recently too and heard nothing back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any companies out there which are willing to cover a classic as the sole car/daily driver?

• Advertisement

Any companies out there which are willing to cover a classic as the sole car/daily driver?

I believe that 'First Ireland' (brokers) may be able to organise / negotiate such cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yep, First Ireland have me insured on my '99 Audi TT on classic insurance (it's my only insured car). €340 fully comp, with break down tow away service etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cheers. Not a route I'll probably take but I thought I'd just check (in market to get back on raod)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

unkel wrote: »
    Yep, First Ireland have me insured on my '99 Audi TT on classic insurance (it's my only insured car). €340 fully comp, with break down tow away service etc.

Wow :) I have been trying to insure a 95 Toyota Starlet. I have a perfect driving record over 30 years & the cheapest so far is €600 third party.

Most classic insurers wouldn't touch any Japanese cars, you're out of luck there :(

First Ireland seem to like anything from the German premium makes. I currently have a very cheap '00 BMW 318i saloon on classic insurance with them.

unkel wrote: »
    Most classic insurers wouldn't touch any Japanese cars, you're out of luck there :(

First Ireland seem to like anything from the German premium makes. I currently have a very cheap '00 BMW 318i saloon on classic insurance with them.

I wonder what the Ombudsman would make of that ? I would love to see the business argument for refusing certain makes especially as Toyota are renown for longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Discodog wrote: »
    I wonder what the Ombudsman would make of that ? I would love to see the business argument for refusing certain makes especially as Toyota are renown for longevity.

Twin cam. Civic.

Twin cam. Civic.

?

I tried Autoline again (via the 'callback' facility on their website) and they got back to me. I ended up going with them - €195 comp: for a '78 1.9 car, 3000 miles p.a., 'salvage buy back' and 'agreed value' all included ! :)

I see they also now have a '1890' number in their ad (in the current 'Retro Classics' mag).

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »

Insurance premiums have nothing to do with the reliability / longevity of cars. They have everything to do with actuarial data - how much money does the average owner of a certain make / model car cost the insurer in claims. If this is too much, a quote is refused

Advertisement