Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

March to August. Many teams on a break right now but most start back Sept.

Where in Kildare are you?

It varies. Personally I like to keep my players as fit as possible. But its not always easy. I would advise keeping yourself fit for the game as it can be very draining and tough if you are unfit. But Pre-season is usually when we make our players work harder fitness wise so if you join a team now they will get you to where you need to be for the most part anyways.

Im in Kildare Town.

So i should be looking to join up with a team now for pre season etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

It doesn't really matter when you join a team. It isn't the NFL, you don't have to be super fit or join at a certain time of the year. It doesn't matter how unfit you are, there's always a place for you in football. Building up fitness and the massive amount of technique you need takes a few months. But then again, I couldn't even run a lap and never played and two weeks later I was starting.

The Dragons are basically in Kildare, it's a five minute drive from Leixlip. Now is a brilliant time of year to start because you have a good six months to develop your skills in time for the first game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

raven136 wrote: »
    Im in Kildare Town.

So i should be looking to join up with a team now for pre season etc?

Yup best get on to them now. As DPT said pre-season for a lot of teams is January. But others start in October/November and the Colleges start sept.

I will pm you some contacts for these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Thanks for all the info guys.

troyzer wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter when you join a team. It isn't the NFL, you don't have to be super fit or join at a certain time of the year.

No you don't but it wouldn't hurt if you were
    It doesn't matter how unfit you are, there's always a place for you in football.

Very true.
    Building up fitness and the massive amount of technique you need takes a few months.

True
    But then again, I couldn't even run a lap and never played and two weeks later I was starting.

To be fair not every team is like that. You can't generalise every team in a sweeping statement. You wouldn't walk on to UCD after 2 weeks especially if you were new to the sport and the same can be said for other teams.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

March to August. Many teams on a break right now but most start back Sept.

Where in Kildare are you?

It varies. Personally I like to keep my players as fit as possible. But its not always easy. I would advise keeping yourself fit for the game as it can be very draining and tough if you are unfit. But Pre-season is usually when we make our players work harder fitness wise so if you join a team now they will get you to where you need to be for the most part anyways.

What kind of fitness training do you make guys do for it ? Il be heading to UCD in September and would be interested in joining. I play in goals in Gaelic so so dont need fitness for that. I do play a bit of basketball so Im more used to short bursts.

What kind of fitness training do you make guys do for it ? Il be heading to UCD in September and would be interested in joining. I play in goals in Gaelic so so dont need fitness for that. I do play a bit of basketball so Im more used to short bursts.

If you play GAA you will be grand and will be used to our fitness stuff. We start off light as to not scare people away but when we come to working with doing our drills and then eventually working in pads in can be tiring but you should be well capable of it.

Say hello to the Lads at their desk during the sports expo they will explain it further. And if you need anything else just let me know and I can give you a run down on what we are going to be doing. We start on Sept 4th for all returning players if you want to get the jump on other rookies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 idiotkid

I think there are very few teams you could just walk into without much fitness/training. Certainly wouldn't happen with Tullamore Phoenix.

However, there are no guaranteed starters on our team either so if someone proves in training/a game that they've the hot hand then they're entitled to a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

whats the craic with adult flag football in ireland these days?

Plenty of teams out there but as I am on my iphone I dont have the list handy. I will throw up a post later if someone doesnt get there before me.

Titan #1 on here is the man to ask though as he is the one that looks after flag football in Ireland.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=73918

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Team in Clonmel (Tipperary), and UCC have a nice set up. Waterford are still working away. Team in Roscrea I think. Tralee play too. Dublin have a handful; 86ers and Revolution. I think Edenderry are about. Team from Down are mentioned, and GMIT have a squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭TITAN #1

Tourny coming up in Roscrea in a week or so.

PM me where you live and I can put you in touch with your local team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

Can't wait to play this year...!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scotsman1990

roscrea falcons are still active, torny in roscrea on the 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mikemanley

Hey anybody know the closet teams to kilkenny ? Thanks

Clonmel Warriors or Waterford (South East) Strongbows. Where abouts are you? There could be a few in your area. They're the first to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mikemanley

im in gowran kilkenny thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

Is the DCU team still active ? Attending now and am looking forward to joining the team if it's still going !

Shiroki wrote: »
    Is the DCU team still active ? Attending now and am looking forward to joining the team if it's still going !

Nope. No word on when they are starting back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spaky12Eyes

Hi all! I'm currently in Leixlip and am really interested in playing, I've become obsessed with american football :P I had heard though that many of the teams had poor numbers at training? I've had this experience at rugby before and the training sessions were almost pointless when there weren't enough numbers :/ Don't want to travel all that way just to find out there's 10 people training. Can somebody please get back to me?

P.S. I had a rugby scholarship to Maynooth so I'm pretty used to the skill set that american football requires XD

THANKS!

• Advertisement

Hi all! I'm currently in Leixlip and am really interested in playing, I've become obsessed with american football :P I had heard though that many of the teams had poor numbers at training? I've had this experience at rugby before and the training sessions were almost pointless when there weren't enough numbers :/ Don't want to travel all that way just to find out there's 10 people training. Can somebody please get back to me?

P.S. I had a rugby scholarship to Maynooth so I'm pretty used to the skill set that american football requires XD

THANKS!

Rhinos or Dragons are the 2 closest teams to you.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002043290310 Rhinos Facebook quickest way to contact them or PM Vikings on here he is part of them.

Dragons www.dublindragons.com
    I had heard though that many of the teams had poor numbers at training?

To be honest with you, you heard wrong. Numbers for the most part on all the Dublin teams are solid at practice. But there will be weekends were numbers can get low, but I wouldn't let it put you off the sport. As UCD's coach I have certain weekends were numbers can drop. Long weekends and any weekends on the front end of exams. But every other weekend we get a solid turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dub0605

THANKS!

The West Dublin Rhinos have their first training session this Sunday in Castleknock College at 12pm. It is a NFL style Combine event and you are more than welcome to come along.

As Tallaghtoutlaws has mentioned facebook page is a good way of getting in contact of via Vikings (or if you have any questions just shout). You can also check out the website www.rhinos.ie for directions and find out more about the team.

Hope to see you sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Any sign of a team starting up in the South-East? :/

(Wicklow, Wexford region)

Aenaes wrote: »
    Any sign of a team starting up in the South-East? :/

(Wicklow, Wexford region)

There's one in Waterford if you're unaware?

There was moves to get one in Wexford but I don't think it ever got off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

There's one in Waterford if you're unaware?

There was moves to get one in Wexford but I don't think it ever got off the ground.

I heard about a Waterford team but didn't see them on the IAFL site. Even so, it would be a bit far to travel for evening practices.

I remember seeing a team for Carlow IT. Are they still around and if so, is it only for college students/staff?

Aenaes wrote: »
    I heard about a Waterford team but didn't see them on the IAFL site. Even so, it would be a bit far to travel for evening practices.

I remember seeing a team for Carlow IT. Are they still around and if so, is it only for college students/staff?

Fairly sure Carlow folded. They had a flag team but it seemed to collapse from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

thinking bout joinin the team down here in cork anyone know when they start traning

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scotsman1990

if ur talking about the flag team in UCC heck out the facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UCC-American-Football/160079370680707

nerd69 wrote: »
    thinking bout joinin the team down here in cork anyone know when they start traning

I will PM you the contact details for the Admirals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Are there still only the two teams in Dublin? Wouldn't mind giving it a go if they had a flag team or somethin

Advertisement