Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Then its not a 100% Student team. Its part student part staff. ;-) TY

Let's not be picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Ah just being pedantic about it for shiggles.

Any chance of a Best of Irish League team V Notre Dame or navy as a warm up game/training excerside/mauling. Would be great for interest in the sport in Ireland and raise awareness/funding?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

art4.jpg

Just remember that the ref is watching from the sidelines. Don't let your exchange of banter lead to unsportsman-like conduct. Thanks, Black Swan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Rhinos narrowly lost out to Shamrock Bowl winners Dublin Rebels yesterday, 13-0.

http://www.rhinos.ie for game report and some pictures. More photos to follow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Week 6

Dublin Dragons 8 @ 74 University College Dublin
    Dublin Rebels 13 @ 0 Logo West Dublin Rhinos
    Carrickfergus Knights 8 @ 45 UL Vikings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 idiotkid

Thought it best to post this in here rather than start a new thread but Tullamore Phoenix launched a new website this week, PhoenixAFC.com.

Content is fairly minimal at the moment but that'll change over the coming weeks when we add a merchandise shop and other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Not enough shout outs for the Dragons! We're in Lucan, easily accesible by bus and we take ANYONE. Literally. We have players from 18-47 and whatever strength, speed or fitness.
    We have a rookie majority squad so don't feel shy and come on up. PM me if you want to know more.

Week 7

UCD 12 @ 8 Cork Admirals
    Dublin Rhinos 8 @ 13 Trinity College
    Craigavon Cowboys 12 @ 33 Belfast Trojans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Any plans for a Wexford Town based team nearest is Waterford which is to far or any wexford people interested in trying to start a team up ?

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Any plans for a Wexford Town based team nearest is Waterford which is to far or any wexford people interested in trying to start a team up ?

The Southeast Stronbows actually started in Wexford as far as I know and the lad who tried getting off the ground started with flag but posting on the link below would be better for you:

http://www.iafs.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=23&sid=7de55232317d321d0c857ed380884a6c

or

http://www.iafs.co.uk

That is the unofficial website for the league and the lads who were on the Srongbows post there also. Maybe chat to them and see if you can get contacts and revive even flag football. Flag is the best way to guage interest and costs a lot less. Take it from me starting a team isn't an easy thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

The Southeast Stronbows actually started in Wexford as far as I know and the lad who tried getting off the ground started with flag but posting on the link below would be better for you:

http://www.iafs.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=23&sid=7de55232317d321d0c857ed380884a6c

or

http://www.iafs.co.uk

That is the unofficial website for the league and the lads who were on the Srongbows post there also. Maybe chat to them and see if you can get contacts and revive even flag football. Flag is the best way to guage interest and costs a lot less. Take it from me starting a team isn't an easy thing to do.

It began has a joint Waterford-Wexford effort, before being based in Waterford. 'bobby_wade' (exact username) on boards would best be able to fix you up - he's Wexford based and helped found the Strongbows. Send him a PM or alternatively contact him through IAFS as described above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Thanks people for that bunch of info I know that it would be a hard thing to do setting up a team and all that but its nice to know that there is like minded people out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

So... Any IAFA games this week?

IAFL Week 8: May 1

Dublin Rebels 7 @ 21 Carrickfergus Knights
    Craigavon Cowboys 42 @ 19 Cork Admirals
    Belfast Trojans 59 @ 0 Dublin Dragons

IAFL Week 9: May 8th

West Dublin Rhinos 0 @ 14 Carrickfergus Knights
    Cork Admirals 15 @ 6 Dublin Dragons

IAFL Development 8's League:

Trim Bulldogs 0 @ 49 Tullamore Phoenix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

Hard luck to the Bulldog boys. Had they many players? How are they looking? Excuse my ignorance but are Tullamore a good team as far as the 8's are concerned?

Hard luck to the Bulldog boys. Had they many players? How are they looking? Excuse my ignorance but are Tullamore a good team as far as the 8's are concerned?

Tullamore have a full 1 year experience over Trim and have big numbers. Many expected them to step up into the full league. But the opted to go another year in the development league to gain more experience.

I thought that Trim looked very good considering this was their first ever outing. They brought about 15 players in total I reckon. I really hope they stick with it because I saw more than enough promise there to think they'll be a force in the future.

From my point of view, we (Tullamore) might have a larger squad but a lot of them are rookies too so it was nice to be able to give them an outing. I was happy with the result but there's still an awful lot to be worked on in training.

Rhinos host the Belfast Trojans on Sunday at 2pm in Castleknock College, all welcome to come along and watch. Should be a good game and we havn't had rain at a home game in a few seasons so should bring good weather too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Highlights of last Sunday's game between Craigavon Cowboys and Carrickfergus Knights will be aired on BBC Newsline in Northern Ireland tonight from 6.30pm, with extended highlights available from the BBC Sport NI website after the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

McLoughlin wrote: »

Where in wexford ya based??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

troyzer wrote: »
    Not enough shout outs for the Dragons! We're in Lucan, easily accesible by bus and we take ANYONE. Literally. We have players from 18-47 and whatever strength, speed or fitness.
    We have a rookie majority squad so don't feel shy and come on up. PM me if you want to know more.

Playing the UL Vikings?

The reigning IAFL DV8 champions, Tullamore Phoenix, travel to Trim to take on the Bulldogs this Sunday at 2pm if anyone is in the area.

It's a chance for Phoenix to really stretch their advantage at the top of the league while Trim will be looking to revenge their opening game defeat in Tullamore.

I've also heard rumours that Trim will be putting on some special celebrations as it's 4th of July weekend.

Plus they have cheerleaders...what more could you ask for on a Sunday afternoon!

Disclaimer: I'm a coach with Tullamore Phoenix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Was at Lurgan Park yesterday to watch the Craigavon Cowboys play the Dublin Rhinos, was a good enough game, the Cowboys winning 24-14 and making the play-offs, despite one of the team being taken away in an ambulance with a back injury.

Paddy C wrote: »
    Was at Lurgan Park yesterday to watch the Craigavon Cowboys play the Dublin Rhinos, was a good enough game, the Cowboys winning 24-14 and making the play-offs, despite one of the team being taken away in an ambulance with a back injury.

Jaysis, hope they were okay in the end. Saw a nasty broken leg in a friendly a couple of weeks back and it's never nice.

Paddy C wrote: »

He was ok in the end, got a phone call from one of the lads to say he was released later in the evening with just muscle damage to his back.

With back and neck injuries in our sport they just have to be taken seriously and treated worst case scenario, otherwise the worst could happen all too easily.

All very quiet in here considering there's the small matter of the Shamrock Bowl coming up this weekend.

My money's on the Rebels I have to say, despite Limerick going perfect so far this season.

Also, the DV8s season is coming to a climax. Dublin Dragons entered the fray with an impressive 51-0 win over Trim yesterday while Tullamore Phoenix (disclaimer, I'm a coach there) kept their unbeaten season going with a 31-6 win over Drogheda yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

Congrats to the Rebels on winning another Shamrock Bowl!

The game itself was fantastic with plenty of drama and UL Vikings were very unlucky not to win it. Interceptions, Fumbles, 2 point convertion attempts, missed PAT's, superb passing, wonderful reciving, great running and dodgy decisions the game had it all. Well worth the price of a ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

When does the season run?

And im from Kildare so i guess Tullamore is the local team to me?

What's the standard of fitness etc.

raven136 wrote: »

March to August. Many teams on a break right now but most start back Sept.

Where in Kildare are you?

It varies. Personally I like to keep my players as fit as possible. But its not always easy. I would advise keeping yourself fit for the game as it can be very draining and tough if you are unfit. But Pre-season is usually when we make our players work harder fitness wise so if you join a team now they will get you to where you need to be for the most part anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

raven136 wrote: »

The season has just finished up for the 11's team, it culminated in the Shamrock Bowl which took place on the 31st of July, won by the Dublin Rebels.

Next season will start in Approximately March of next year but pre-season training will start in January for most teams.

You have a few teams "close" to you.
    Trim Bulldogs
    Tullamore Pheonix
    West Dublin Rhinos (based in Castleknock)
    Dublin Dragons (based in Lucan)
    Dublin Rebels (based in Booterstown/Santry)
    Trinity/UCD (unless your a Student here you cannot play for them)

See tallaght's response re:fitness

Advertisement