Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Just browsing the planning report now. Can someone tell me where the Ballyhemiken Quarry at Rafeen is located please? Maybe with a map link. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

Rafeen Quarry highlighted on M28 Scheme Map

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I can also foresee a N7-M20 junction scenario here.

The locals went crazy when the original proposal had a link through Rochestown Ridge for the Carr’s Hill interchange.

When this scheme is completed, I can see the residents calling for a link to be introduced when they realise what a mistake they’ve made. It would dramatically improve local roads across. It’s a real pity as the roads in the area were built with the intention of the link to Carr’s Hill here.

The other thing I’ll say is that the old N28 can now be detrunked and used for local access. Introduce traffic calming on it and allow right turns again along its length. Those with properties on the N28 will see a dramatic improvement in their day to day lives.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MOD:

Off topic posts moved to other M28 thread. Please continue discussions on house prices and judicial reviews there.

• Advertisement

There is a decision on this project expected from the High Court in the coming months.

The complex N5 scheme in County Roscommon has a target by TII of construction contract award in late 2020. Given that this scheme is less onerous archaeologically and in relation to advance works, subject to favourable High Court decision & failure to appeal from the objectors, this scheme could progress to construction in the first half of 2021.

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

marno21 wrote: »
    There is a decision on this project expected from the High Court in the coming months.

The complex N5 scheme in County Roscommon has a target by TII of construction contract award in late 2020. Given that this scheme is less onerous archaeologically and in relation to advance works, subject to favourable High Court decision & failure to appeal from the objectors, this scheme could progress to construction in the first half of 2021.

Fingers crossed.

Hopefully , fingers and toes crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

marno21 wrote: »

If the Steering Group's Facebook page can be believed, it could be much sooner. They said to expect a decision within 4 to 6 weeks of the last day of the review, which was April 5th. So we are already in potential result territory, and should hopefully know by Friday next week (the 17th).

Fingers and toes crossed! ;)

MOD:

I will be closely watching this thread, it is ONLY for discussion of the progress on the M28 scheme. Posts which would have been for the other thread will be deleted.

I did have a look at the Courts website to check but like Carrs Hill at 8am, it has ground to a halt and stopped functioning. I believe there was a date in June on the Courts website recently.

With a bit of luck we will see tenders for advance works & engineering consultants soon after the decision is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

Rumors of Monday the 27th May the judge has recalled all parties at 2pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

danny004 wrote: »
    Rumors of Monday the 27th May the judge has recalled all parties at 2pm

I don't suppose anybody has any news? Google is defeating me

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

ianobrien wrote: »
    I don't suppose anybody has any news? Google is defeating me
    Didnt hear anything and I wonder was the person who told me mixed up with the incinerator which was in court today although he was quite definite when telling me. Other thing is and maybe Marno can answer what is the point of the main discussion thread being blocked ,we cant influence anything in a case that has been heard plus it was really useful as a central point for bits of news gossip and good for discussion on differing views.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

28th June is scheduled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The council have messed up Raffeen junction by widening the foothpaths and narrowing the road which could lead to crashes.

mikeym wrote: »
    The council have messed up Raffeen junction by widening the foothpaths and narrowing the road which could lead to crashes.

They’ve done exactly the same at the top of Donnybrook Hill. It’s literally dangerous. I doubt 2 lorries could pass side by side. Complete insanity.

And they’ve now abandoned the site without telling the road. Shocking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Before you judge this can I ask if the road ever was 2 lanes each way or was that just what happened in practice?

It’s hardly insanity to widen footpaths when we live in a country with huge levels of car priority.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Before you judge this can I ask if the road ever was 2 lanes each way or was that just what happened in practice?

It’s hardly insanity to widen footpaths when we live in a country with huge levels of car priority.

I’m not sure what your saying. There was previously adequate room to drive with a right turn lane in the middle.

They removed the right turn lane but have made it insanely tight. It is now actually dangerously tight. I have zero idea why they did this. There were huge pavements there already. They are no wider than parts of Patrick Street in a place where there is little footfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Judgement day is the 27th i read around here?

I’m not sure what your saying. There was previously adequate room to drive with a right turn lane in the middle.

They removed the right turn lane but have made it insanely tight. It is now actually dangerously tight. I have zero idea why they did this. There were huge pavements there already. They are no wider than parts of Patrick Street in a place where there is little footfall.

It's stupidly tight now. If there's anything bigger than a bicycle in the right turn lane, a truck won't fit heading to the Shannonpark Roundabout. I came through Friday driving something that is 2.5m wide and I was damn glad nothing was turning right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Is it possible they're constricting the space to try to discourage HGV's and through-traffic?
    They've certainly done this on the Old Youghal Road at the Little Island junction at the moment: deliberately constricting the lanes. It has nothing to do with pedestrians or cyclists, they're just putting large islands in to try and reduce the velocity of the crashes.

I'm not saying it's a good idea or anything, just suggesting that's what they're at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Haven't been down there in a while, but I'd hazard a guess it's been reduced in width as a traffic calming measure. Is there a reduced speed limit?

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Haven't been down there in a while, but I'd hazard a guess it's been reduced in width as a traffic calming measure. Is there a reduced speed limit?

That's certainly what the plan was in the Little Island design. There have been plenty of crashes at the Little Island junction down through the years, mostly because of speed so they're constricting the space in an effort to fix the issue.

I'm wondering if it's the same with Donnybrook Hill and Raffeen.

That's certainly what the plan was in the Little Island design. There have been plenty of crashes at the Little Island junction down through the years, mostly because of speed so they're constricting the space in an effort to fix the issue.

I'm wondering if it's the same with Donnybrook Hill and Raffeen.

If they wanted to reduce the speed at the junction, why didn't they put in the speed reduction islands before the junction? At the moment, a car and a truck won't fit in the two lanes. How is that going to keep a national primary route flowing? Clever road engineering alright!

If you want to reduce speed, don't squeeze the area down so venicles can't use it, put in proper reduction measures (chicane's) like what's done in the rest of Europe. Nope we do our own thing again!

ianobrien wrote: »
    If they wanted to reduce the speed at the junction, why didn't they put in the speed reduction islands before the junction? At the moment, a car and a truck won't fit in the two lanes. How is that going to keep a national primary route flowing? Clever road engineering alright!

If you want to reduce speed, don't squeeze the area down so venicles can't use it, put in proper reduction measures (chicane's) like what's done in the rest of Europe. Nope we do our own thing again!

Hey just to be clear, don't shoot the messenger!
    I agree there's better speed reduction measures for probably the same or less cost. Classic CoCoCo roads dept effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd suggest putting feedback in writing, on twitter etc.

Haven't been up that way in a few weeks but it sounds like a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I never see anyone use the foothpath so its a waste of money :mad:

As a result the road has narrowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Is next Thursday judicial review decision day? Even 'the objectors' seem unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Listed on the High Court website for 28th June (2019)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mikeym wrote: »
    I never see anyone use the foothpath so its a waste of money :mad:

That's false logic.

Maybe no one was walking there (or yet) because the footpath wasn't good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Listed on the High Court website for 28th June (2019)

Wonder if the action group will be putting it before the Supreme Court that afternoon :pac:

Advertisement