Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Wonder if the action group will be putting it before the Supreme Court that afternoon :pac:

The papers are already filled out awaiting signing off/submission knowing them. This will go to the ECJ/ECHR I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

theres a disconnect somewhere that the highcourt has listed the M28 for 11 tomorrow yet the steering group facebooks last post say they will let people know as soon as they have a date for a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

Unlikely to be any decision handed down tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Unlikely to be any decision handed down tomorrow.

2 years, 1 month, and 1 week since planning permission was lodged for 12 km of road. Let's hope we get a decision soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

2 years, 1 month, and 1 week since planning permission was lodged for 12 km of road. Let's hope we get a decision soon.

I wonder how much this time wasting is costing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

kub wrote: »
    I wonder how much this time wasting is costing.
    Is there any chance that some of those costs could be awarded against the Steering Group or is it not that kind of case?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Is there any chance that some of those costs could be awarded against the Steering Group or is it not that kind of case?

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

lfc200 wrote: »
    Why?

Because that’s what happens in some civil cases where plaintiffs bring stupid cases before the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Because that’s what happens in some civil cases where plaintiffs bring stupid cases before the courts.

Does this case not fall in under the EU habitats directive though?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

lfc200 wrote: »
    Does this case not fall in under the EU habitats directive though?
    The Steering Group can claim it falls under any aspect of law they want; that doesn't mean this case is not a vexatious waste of Irish taxpayer money and court time. I assume that is what Pete_Cavan was referring to when he wondered about whether or not there would be any penalty for the Steering Group's decision to force a judicial review of ABP's ruling. After all, if they have no skin in the game, how can they lose from appeal after appeal after appeal?

Let's wait and see what the High Court says about the habitats directive. It may decide the habitats directive is irrelevant. Even if the habitats directive is involved, if the relevant aspect of EU law is clear then the High Court doesn't need to go to the ECJ in Luxembourg (which would add another interminable delay). So that means we would just have to deal with appeals to the Court of Appeal and then possibly to the Supreme Court after that (add 1-2 years for each step).

I know I say this every post, but Irish planning law desperately needs to be reformed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Adjourned until 17th October

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

17th October? For heavens sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

17th October? For heavens sake.

I know. There’s 5 weeks left in this court sitting in which they could do something. Then the high court stops until the michaelmas sitting (I shiz you not, they operate like a university) and reopens on October 7th. So there’s no guarantee of anything being done during August or September.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

29 months from ABP filing to possible court decision. And that might not be the end of it

Would be really disappointing for Ringaskiddy to miss out on a new plant over this.

We already know how much the city is getting ****ed with the Port unable to start full operations at Ringaskiddy until this is sorted

MrDerp wrote: »
    Adjourned until 17th October

What a farce of a situation, really disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

Not having a clue the way these things work but I wonder do they just give the next free date to have an explanation of the decision but the decision can be handed down anytime because the steering group dont seem to have any mass in these dates and they you would expect know the process much more factually than us being advised by their barrister

We all know what posts this is going to generate and from whom, their Facebook page hasn't quite caught up yet.

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1145981286785458177

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

We all know what posts this is going to generate and from whom, their Facebook page hasn't quite caught up yet.

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1145981286785458177

I suspect it would be better for this to happen on a motorway instead of a road being used by both cyclists and pedestrians and on a road which is used to access houses. No doubt they’ll put some spin on it though.

I suspect it would be better for this to happen on a motorway instead of a road being used by both cyclists and pedestrians and on a road which is used to access houses. No doubt they’ll put some spin on it though.

Completely agree, take a spin along the M8 and you’ll see a number of patches where vehicles have went ablaze, not just commercial vehicles but also private ones. Look along the N8 and you won’t see it as often, in fact I can’t remember the last time I seen one there. As for the N28, I’d say they’ll post something by tonight, when the truck overturned last year they put spin on that as well, life is not perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Completely agree, take a spin along the M8 and you’ll see a number of patches where vehicles have went ablaze, not just commercial vehicles but also private ones. Look along the N8 and you won’t see it as often, in fact I can’t remember the last time I seen one there. As for the N28, I’d say they’ll post something by tonight, when the truck overturned last year they put spin on that as well, life is not perfect.

I saw an articulated truck ablaze on the N8 one day a few years ago near Rathcormac. It destroyed the road actually. Just south of the Rathcormac M8 exit.

I've never seen one on the M8. But that's just the luck of the draw I guess.

• Advertisement

I saw an articulated truck ablaze on the N8 one day a few years ago near Rathcormac. It destroyed the road actually. Just south of the Rathcormac M8 exit.

I've never seen one on the M8. But that's just the luck of the draw I guess.

The N8 is a rarity, i've seen a few on the M8, the full length of it, more coaches than trucks oddly enough, there was a Bus Eireann coach caught fire a few years ago just before the Watergrasshill exit, then in 2013 on the N40 before the Mahon exit westbound another coach went up only 24 hours after passing its CVRT. But no doubt as this happened on the N28 it's global news to a certain group even though it is outside the area in question they are focusing on.

Major crash on Carrs hill, the second in 24 hours, these 'objectors' really need to drop their action for the common good of everyone.

Major crash on Carrs hill, the second in 24 hours, these 'objectors' really need to drop theor action for the common good of everyone.

Agreed, I have to wonder had the ' objectors ' just accepted the decision of ABP and not taken this onto the High Court would these incidents have occured as the project would have been well underway now with that particular narrow section of the road under the civil contractors safety net.

Anyway lets all hope there is not a fatality due to all these delays

Agreed, I have to wonder had the ' objectors ' just accepted the decision of ABP and not taken this onto the High Court would these incidents have occured as the project would have been well underway now with that particular narrow section of the road under the civil contractors safety net.

Anyway lets all hope there is not a fatality due to all these delays

I imagine it would have, I might be wrong but would see no reason why not.

The one this I can see these ‘objectors’ spouting on about is that a rubbish truck was involved today and will “back up their argument”

I fully agree with you and hope it’s not as serious as first mentioned, in the unfortunate event something sinister did happen how would these people feel by having blood on their hands, not in a literal sense but an amoral way

I imagine it would have, I might be wrong but would see no reason why not.

The one this I can see these ‘objectors’ spouting on about is that a rubbish truck was involved today and will “back up their argument”

I fully agree with you and hope it’s not as serious as first mentioned, in the unfortunate event something sinister did happen how would these people feel by having blood on their hands, not in a literal sense but an amoral way

I have to wonder what type of vehicle collects the bins from their homes.
    Or to borrow the line form an 80's campaign in the UK, " if you got it, a truck brought it "

I have to wonder what type of vehicle collects the bins from their homes.
    Or to borrow the line form an 80's campaign in the UK, " if you got it, a truck brought it "

I recall that saying very well, it is still in use today would you believe :D These people are clearly the type who live in caves and generate a carbon footprint of zero. Even people or at least one person criticised them for delaying this project and to see the impact it has on people's lives, it got multiple likes though, 5 people in hospital today as a result of that accident,and god only knows how many from yesterday's accident.

I see that the 'Objectors' now say they await a decision sometime between October 7th and December 20th next. With a No Deal Brexit looming the port in Ringaskiddy is boosting its customs activity, presumably for the expected increase in traffic travelling to Spain & France. All the more reason to get this road built. These court cases really need to be dealt with as a matter of priority instead of multiple adjournments, the Cork roads network is falling apart from legal and financial problems.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ringaskiddy-boosts-customs-capacity-under-brexit-plan-942234.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Major crash on Carrs hill, the second in 24 hours, these 'objectors' really need to drop their action for the common good of everyone.

They live in a posh bubble.

mikeym wrote: »
    They live in a posh bubble.

All bubbles eventually burst, last economic crash anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭cjpm

It's actually a disgrace the lack of any progress in Cork since FG got in power. What has Coveney achieved for Cork. SFA is far as I can see. Apart from posing at the sod turning for the events centre. The rest of the FG crowd in cork have done fcuk all either.

It's Ireland's 2nd city for gods sake.

Dunkettle is a shambles
    No progress with the Ringaskiddy road
    M20 being redesigned 10 years too late.
    No concrete plans for a North Ring road.

FFS. It's appalling.

Advertisement