Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

marno21 wrote: »
    I think a ABP will refuse the Mount Oval slip - it has no place on a motorway and the objectors are up in arms about it - you can't have your cake and eat it.

Probably, but very silly if so as it will only force a lot of traffic unnecessarily onto the Rochestown Road which will clog up the junction and cause tail-backs back onto the motorway which already happens. A right turn lane and traffic lights won't make that situation better. And make it more dangerous also as more traffic will have to merge in a short space of road to get off at the earlier exit. Only people with a total lack of local knowledge would think that slip road should be removed...so it probably will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Ludo wrote: »
    I think a ABP will refuse the Mount Oval slip - it has no place on a motorway and the objectors are up in arms about it - you can't have your cake and eat it.

Probably, but very silly if so as it will only force a lot of traffic unnecessarily onto the Rochestown Road which will clog up the junction and cause tail-backs back onto the motorway which already happens. A right turn lane and traffic lights won't make that situation better. And make it more dangerous also as more traffic will have to merge in a short space of road to get off at the earlier exit. Only people with a total lack of local knowledge would think that slip road should be removed...so it probably will be.

Traffic leaving the M28 for Mount Oval will be turning left onto the Rochestown Road though. Potentially there could be a setup for a free-flowing or yield-only left turn so that traffic that would have previously used the Mount Oval slip will still be able to leave the motorway without getting backed up at a red light.

Can't see how there would be room for that with the roundabout by the church and traffic coming through from Douglas. Maybe you are right though they could so a large rework of that whole junction instead of the slip to mount oval. It would involve demolishing a few houses though in the ghost estate by the roundabout at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭kub

Well if Rochestown Road will be such a disaster for people heading to Mount Oval, then they could just go further up the M28 and take the next exit, then across Maryborough Ridge to Moneygourney and down to the traffic lights by Garyduff.

But I thought that exit was nixed no? Must look at the plans age in as I had forgotten its been so long. If not fair enough. And it's not mount oval residents it would be bad for. It's everyone who uses the rochestown road exit if it adds to delays there. Disaster is a bit hyperbole by you there in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

One of the Steering Groups key problems is perceived landscaping issues with the Mount Oval slip.

They have generated some horrific images showing what it “will” look like. Won’t look near as bad as they are professing. Ironically this may help close that slip permanently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Their photo montages are quite ridiculous, thrown together with Microsoft paint based on their personal opinions only.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The right job would be if they included both the new link road from the Carrs Hill interchange to the Maryborough Road and also the planned connection to Maryborough Ridge. Having two routes each side of the motorway would provide 2 distributor routes from the motorway and would facilitate higher overall capacity at the high capacity Carrs Hill interchange. The Mount Oval slip is not fit for purpose as a motorway exit.

On another note, the decision will be made on this on 13th of April. The project was submitted to ABP on May 16th last year. That's 11 months to make a decision. That badly needs sorting as it looks like there will be similar misinformed crusades against the N6 Galway bypass, the Slane bypass and the M20 amongst others.

On another note, the decision will be made on this on 13th of April. The project was submitted to ABP on May 16th last year. That's 11 months to make a decision. That badly needs sorting as it looks like there will be similar misinformed crusades against the N6 Galway bypass, the Slane bypass and the M20 amongst others.

It is ridiculous alright how long it takes, I imagine these people are a law onto themselves.
    I suppose that is the difference between people that work and people who are employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Down that way today and I see the council have been playing with the speed limits this week, with the limit now 100 from Shannonpark roundabout, but reduced to 80 from the end of the climbing lane to the top of the hill, as well as changes to the Ringaskiddy road after Shanbally Cross to Ringaskiddy itself (increased to 80 from 60 which is welcome change)

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Down that way today and I see the council have been playing with the speed limits this week, with the limit now 100 from Shannonpark roundabout, but reduced to 80 from the end of the climbing lane to the top of the hill, as well as changes to the Ringaskiddy road after Shanbally Cross to Ringaskiddy itself (increased to 80 from 60 which is welcome change)

Will that still be the same on the 2nd of April?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

kub wrote: »
    Will that still be the same on the 2nd of April?

Yes, part of the national speed limit review. Most national primary roads that were never widened will be limited to 80km/h. The full results will be published soon

If it is a 1st April post, it'll be a true one fairly soon

Yes, part of the national speed limit review. Most national primary roads that were never widened will be limited to 80km/h. The full results will be published soon

If it is a 1st April post, it'll be a true one fairly soon

Thank you Marno and my apologies Kaiser, I honestly thought this was an Aprils fools post. I had no idea of this national roll out until i saw a thread devoted to it just now.

kub wrote: »
    Thank you Marno and my apologies Kaiser, I honestly thought this was an Aprils fools post. I had no idea of this national roll out until i saw a thread devoted to it just now.
    In fairness, I don't see any reason to apologise.

In an ideal world you wouldn't think you'd have to speed restrict the road between the motorway network and Cork's biggest employment hub and seaport due to the road being too narrow to accommodate safe running.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

In fairness, I don't see any reason to apologise.

In an ideal world you wouldn't think you'd have to speed restrict the road between the motorway network and Cork's biggest employment hub and seaport due to the road being too narrow to accommodate safe running.

Is there not 50 limits on the Bloomfield Interchange?
    80 in the tunnel?

80 in the tunnel?

50kph limits on a trumpet interchange is quite common though.

A 80kph limit of the main road between Cork City and it’s second biggest dormitory town says it all though.

80 in the tunnel?

60km/h at Bloomfield due to weaving and geometric restrictions.

80km/h in all tunnels in Ireland for safety restrictions bar a few 100km/h tunnels in Kerry which weren't built to engineering standards

60km/h at Bloomfield due to weaving and geometric restrictions.

80km/h in all tunnels in Ireland for safety restrictions bar a few 100km/h tunnels in Kerry which weren't built to engineering standards

Part of Bloomfield is 50kph and I believe that the Shannon Tunnel has a 100kph limit?

Part of Bloomfield is 50kph and I believe that the Shannon Tunnel has a 100kph limit?

Didn't realise the 50km/h at Bloomfield was an actual limit, I thought it was an advisory.

Shannon Tunnel is 80km/h

Didn't realise the 50km/h at Bloomfield was an actual limit, I thought it was an advisory.

Shannon Tunnel is 80km/h

N40 East to N28 South is deffo 50kph for the twisty but. Goes up to 60kph after that I think. Same for N28 North to N40 east.

Dunno why I had it in my head about the Shannon Tunnel. For whatever reason, you can change lanes in the Shannon Tunnel. Can’t in the Jack Lynch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

80Kmph on Carrs Hill is a joke.

Now theres another reason to build the M28.

Any person travelling to work that uses the N28 is screaming for this to be built.

mikeym wrote: »

Any person travelling to work that uses the N28 is screaming for this to be built.

They’ll have speed vans all over these redesignated roads. IMO, a lot of these changes are not justified. Smacks of the RSA blaming everything on speed, as always.

N40 East to N28 South is deffo 50kph for the twisty but. Goes up to 60kph after that I think. Same for N28 North to N40 east.

Dunno why I had it in my head about the Shannon Tunnel. For whatever reason, you can change lanes in the Shannon Tunnel. Can’t in the Jack Lynch.

When you have the JLT as 80km/h and then use the Shannon Tunnel you do get the impression the Shannon Tunnel is faster because it's dead straight and allows overtaking as you say. There's also no roundabout 400m from the mouth of the tunnel. Very frequent spot for Garda cars though on the Clare side just before the Cahirdavin exit.
    mikeym wrote: »

I think Carrs Hill is a joke more than the new limit. What these new 80 zones really show is how deficient some of our key roads are. When national primary routes have to be restricted to 80km/h it really shows how bad it is.

9 more days til we hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

9 more days til we hear.

. . . . and then some!

Golfer50 wrote: »
    . . . . and then some!

Hardly delayed again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

Yes. I believe the Inspector's report is delayed and hence the Board's decision making process . . by about two months.

Golfer50 wrote: »
    Yes. I believe the Inspector's report is delayed and hence the Board's decision making process . . by about two months.

If true, for **** sake.

There'll be a further delay caused by the inevitable appeal if approved.

Thanks for the information .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

If true, for **** sake.

There'll be a further delay caused by the inevitable appeal if approved.

Thanks for the information .
    Hope there aren't any Russians, Japanese or Chinese around listening in on this M28 pantomime - they'd be on their backs laughing at us Irish! :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Middle Man wrote: »
    Hope there aren't any Russians, Japanese or Chinese around listening in on this M28 pantomime - they'd be on their backs laughing at us Irish! :mad:

Ireland may have issues with its planning processes, but I wouldn't really be using authoritarian states like Russia and China as shining examples of how to do things.

• Advertisement

Post on the M28 Steering Group Facebook page that the decision on the M28 has been delayed by at least another two months.

These decisions should not be taking more than a year. This is beyond painful

Advertisement