Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

zetalambda wrote: »
    ABP granting permission for the incinerator in Ringaskiddy last week and the Port of Cork announcing today that they are going ahead with the new container terminal leads me to believe that the M28 steering group has merely delayed the upgrade of the road. :)

Indeed it would be bizarre for them to approve the incinerator and not the motorway. Especially given how many policies the M28 is compliant with

The M28 is even more needed now with the incinerator and the relocated Port. And Brexit. And just in general given the scheme has been active for 16 years now and there has been consistent traffic growth.

If approved I've no doubt the "I've had my fun and that's all that matters" bridgade will be on 96FM and co rattling their tins looking for money for an appeal to hold it up even further

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

zetalambda wrote: »
    ABP granting permission for the incinerator in Ringaskiddy last week and the Port of Cork announcing today that they are going ahead with the new container terminal leads me to believe that the M28 steering group has merely delayed the upgrade of the road. :)
    Didn't think of it that way. Of course it makes sense - ABP isn't going to green-light large projects which will pour trucks onto the N28 unless the N28 itself is also going to be upgraded.
    Roll on July 6th. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Didn't think of it that way. Of course it makes sense - ABP isn't going to green-light large projects which will pour trucks onto the N28 unless the N28 itself is also going to be upgraded.
    Roll on July 6th. :D
    I hope the decision will be published before PJ finishes up on 96FM. It'll be interesting listening.

Only one more week until we found out when the decision has been delayed until...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Limerick74

Decision on its way according to rumours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Planning granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

CHealy wrote:
    Planning granted.

Is that official??

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Limerick74

Two sources so looks good

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Great news

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/MA0/RMA0014.pdf

ABP Inspector's Report, which to no surprise, recommends an approval of the scheme.

• Advertisement

MOD:

The M28 project has been approved, and as a result, this thread will now be for discussion of where the scheme goes from here, not an existential debate on the scheme.

Debating whether it should be built or not goes here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057734629

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Outstanding news.

What’s the M48 link road mentioned in the article. Is this a spur to go to the Airport?

What’s the M48 link road mentioned in the article. Is this a spur to go to the Airport?

I'm not sure but I believe it could be a reservation for a link road from the future M28 to the future M71 in the LONG term

Or a typo.

I suspect it’s a spur to the airport Roundabout.

Unlike what the Steering Group will tell you, the Kinsale Roundabout cannot handle anymore traffic and this spur if correct is badly needed.

Assuming no endless judicial challenge, what is the planned construction timescale?

Assuming no endless judicial challenge, what is the planned construction timescale?

Cork County Council will likely issue a tender in the next few months for advance works, construction and completion. If fully funded it could start in 2020 or early 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

Sense has prevailed, and I'm a local resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Great news for those motorists who have to travel through Carrs Hill every morning and afternoon.

That part of road is not fit for purpose.

The sooner motorway is built the better for everyone who uses the sub standard N28.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

What’s the M48 link road mentioned in the article.

What article are you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Not sure when this was changed, but glad to see that it is now proposed that the entire M28 will be motorway from the N40 to Barnahely. None of this "build a motorway grade road but call it something else" nonsense, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Any changes made such as the Mount Oval off ramp which a lot of people thought would be removed?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Not sure when this was changed, but glad to see that it is now proposed that the entire M28 will be motorway from the N40 to Barnahely. None of this "build a motorway grade road but call it something else" nonsense, please.

This was changed when it was submitted to ABP back early last year. I believe the main reason it changed is that there is now a plan to make the N40 a motorway so no need for all purpose access at Bloomfield

Ludo wrote: »
    Any changes made such as the Mount Oval off ramp which a lot of people thought would be removed?

It will be traffic calmed for safety purposes

marno21 wrote: »
    It will be traffic calmed for safety purposes

Any other changes such as to the Carr’s Hill junction? Selfishly this is a key design point for me.

Any other changes such as to the Carr’s Hill junction? Selfishly this is a key design point for me.

It appears not.

I was surprised that the scheme has pretty much been approved as is with little changes.

An opening there to Maryborough Ridge may have had merit

marno21 wrote: »
    It appears not.

I was surprised that the scheme has pretty much been approved as is with little changes.

An opening there to Maryborough Ridge may have had merit

A great pity this was removed from the original design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Could they have perhaps have meant something to do with the M40?

• Advertisement

As per ABP Inspectors Report, container operations at Ringaskiddy are restricted until this is built. I would hope that means this will push on now and hopefully start in 2020.

Any Governmental filibustering of this project be it funding or otherwise is unacceptable.

Advertisement