Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need a budget EV fast!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This one just went up 3 hours ago, above budget, but seems good and with high range and may also be eligible for the 40kw upgrade? I wonder how to know for sure though? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Far too expensive and forget about free battery warranty upgrades. Nissan isn't handing these out like confetti. If that money is feasible, get another few grand and buy an Ioniq. Far superior car in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's at 10 bars and 136k kms. I think the mileage warranty might run out before the battery goes to 8 bars. The one in Monaghan was closer with 9 bars and not much over 100k. I know you don't want the leather, but it's an option.

Thanks again both of you! Yeah I think sticking to 6k max for a leaf makes the most sense. Just hoping to get something that won't degrade drastically and struggle to sell it for half that in a few years, or is that just inevitable?

Am I correct in my thinking of how to check the range from my post above would either of you know please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The designations were changed a bit in 2017 because this is when they started manufacturing the facelift Leaf and some features were carried across to the last of the ZE0 Leafs. So, the equivalent of the launch model N-Connecta, similar to SV Premium (Acenta premium) will have half leather, folding mirrors and 360 cameras. The SVE/Tekna is still the top spec with leather seats and BOSE sound system.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Yes it would. But you should probably get it out on a motorway to see what you get at around motorway speeds. That will give you an idea for the commute. It will drop faster, but that's a calculation you can make when you test it. Wouldn't necessarily give you a definitive idea of the battery's SoH, because consumption goes up at over 90-100kph.

Couple more for you.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-ev-nct-2025-low-mileage-low-tax/36172534

Says it has 12 bars. Maybe true because allegedly not DC charging these extends the battery life.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-2016/36032991

This one seems to have the cold pack as an added extra. Been for sale for a while, so could be got cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

first one is a bit of a wheeler dealer job. Second one has no alloys. Can’t see on the phone, but does it have the eco button on the wheel? The angle of photos for it are bad.

Stay Free

Leafs do not have any battery conditioning. No cooling and no heating, this still applies to the 2024 Leaf

This bizarre setup causes battery degradation on all of them. Some more than others. The very early Leafs and the 30kWh models are the most prone to this. But I'm in the middle of buying a new 40kWh model Leaf myself now for peanuts (less than the old Model 30kWh you are considering) because it has suffered the same. Big lottery if you buy one thinking the battery is fine but the battery warranty is (almost) gone

Ioniq far safer bet and early ones still under battery warranty unless high mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭glen123

I think all will depend on how that Leaf is driven, how often it is fast charged, etc.

I have 172 30kWh Leaf Acenta, bought 2.5 years ago with 72k on the clock and full 12 bars at the time of purchase (I think SOC was 92% when I bought it).

It has now 145k on it, I lost 1st bar I think at around 130k. Only fast charged it a few times so that probably helped. Still does around 150km of mixed driving in the summer and 120 in the winter. I do round trip of 95km to work twice a week, 80km of which a mix of motorway and dual carriageway. In winter I get home with 20-25% battery left, now during the summer with min of 35% left.

• Advertisement

Thank you all again! Yeah I was thinking motorway speeds wouldn't be an accurate measure for range as from what I've read here, motorway driving will eat through the range anyway, so maybe best to test it for consistency in range drop vs km covered at around 80/90kmph and then just assume this will be worse on motorway. So say if I'm getting 175% range drop compared to km covered at 80/90kmph and the range is say 110, then the true range with that drop would be 63, but if motorway driving then makes that 175% become 225%, then the true range at motorway would be 49km. I hope that all makes sense :)

Is the eco button not on them all? I see it helps reduce consumption from a quick google.

I'd just hope the battery wouldn't degrade too quick and end up not doing the commute in a year or two after spending 6k on one 🤔

Wish the Ioniq budget was there even just to make you happy Unkel 😂

Well if you got that 30kWh you found for around €5-5.5k, it would be a good punt if there is no way you can stretch to anywhere near Ioniq levels. Just hope for the best and you will probably be fine. I'd say the chances it will still easily do that commute in 2 years time are 95%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

One thing to note is that a L30 with two capacity bars down (like ours and the one cormie linked) has almost exactly the same capacity as the L24 had when they were brand new. And an used L24 would have also degraded somewhat in the meantime.

Thank you! 95% it will still do the commute is at least something, although I'd rather 110% since it will definitely do it now. That is a fair bit of degradation when you think about it, no wonder there's so many for sale.

Will see what I can do on the negotiating. There seems to be a lot of them with very similar spec around the same price and they all seem to be up for yonks so hopefully it's just a matter of finding someone who's eager to get rid.

I guess if I could get it for 5K or even below it would definitely make sense to go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The eco button is only on the refreshed Lizard cars from 141 (some in later 132) onwards. As I said to you I really wouldnt suggest the prior first gen leaf for your use case so make sure the one you get has the eco button. Not so much for its functionality, moreso that it indicates the correct spec.

Thank you again, yea I think a 2016/2017 is the aim now. Just waiting to hear back from the 172 seller in Wex and the seller of the one in Monaghan and will see what negotiations may be possible :)

I take it you bought the Wexford one? Now marked as sold. If so, nice one, you got a great deal 😀

Haha, I had been in touch with him and threw in a offer of €4,800. He didn't get back to me and then I checked the ad again and saw it was marked as sold too. I messaged him again and the ad had actually just coincidentally expired so he still has it 😁

We're still in negotiation, but he sent me a photo of the range.. 112km @ 100%. I'm a little worried now, is this not essentially only 18km more range than yours Unkel? (59 miles = 94km). The other 2017 up in Monaghan shows 135 with 9 bars left, but that seller isn't as open to negotiation and will cost about 20% extra. Then the 2016 model on Facebook will cost about 10% extra with 119km and 12 bars (suspicious?). EDIT: actually the facebook one they sent me a photo at 100% and it's 127km, at 98% it was 119km 🤔Also, is it possible to tell what kWh battery a leaf has or you just have to trust it's what the ad says, and how can you tell if it has the cold pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If it has the cold pack it has heated seats and heated steering wheel. No cold pack = no button for heated seats or wheel.

There have been so many posted it's hard to keep up. This one (https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-ev-nct-2025-low-mileage-low-tax/36172534?modal=gallery) is a much better option than a pre 2014. You have much more chance of achieving 80% of the guessometer range in that car, all year round, due to the heat pump. I dont think it has the cold pack but that's not as important as other things.

Do NOT buy this one (https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-2016/36032991?modal=gallery) It is a low spec (XE) japanese import.

If I were in your position I'd buy this https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-30kw-tekna/36530301?campaign=17

Top spec SVE so it has cold pack etc and also 30kWh battery.

So sorry, a heat pump is different to the cold pack? The cold pack is just to heat the car in winter while on charge before it's plugged out to drive, and then the heat pump is something different? From what I know, a heat pump is a more efficient technology of heating, so I'm guessing it just uses less off the battery to keep the car warm?

Yes, sorry it's getting quite confusing, I'll list all the current considerations I have. The price shown is the sellers current price to me, but I haven't negotiated fully so potential of lower than shown too

1) €5,000 - 161 | 08/12 Bars Range @ 100%: TBCkm | 146K/km | 30kw | NCT Months: 02 | I think it has cold pack
    2) €5,100 - 172 | 08/12 Bars Range @ 100%: 112km | 161K/km | 30kw | NCT Months: 14 | Tekna Cold Pack
    3) €6,000 - 162 | 12/12 Bars Range @ 100%: 127km | 083K/km | ??kw | NCT Months: 05 | No answer on cold pack yet (suspicious battery health?)
    4) €6,500 - 171 | 12/12 Bars Range @ 100% TBCkm | 110K/km | 24kw | NCT Months: 09 | I think it has cold pack
    5) €6,500 - 172 | 09/12 Bars Range @ 100%: 135km | 106K/km | 30kw | NCT Months: 09 | Tekna Full spec - Still in Warranty
    6) €7,200 - 172 | 10/12 Bars Range @ 100%: 160km | 135K/km | 30kw | NCT Months: 11 | Tekna Full spec - Still in Warranty

I'd be most keen on the lower priced ones. If the 112km range of #2 is not a big concern, then this would probably be the prefence. Although the new one I see at #1 in the list could be potential, but need to wait for him to get me a reading at 100% charge.

It would be great to get either of the ones still in warranty with the better range, but at 30%-44% extra in cost I'm not sure it's feasible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭zzap64

I wouldn't be so focused on the "GuessOMeter" estimation of range when the car is charged to 100%. That's just a guess of range based on the previous period of driving.

I have a 30kWh LEAF and due to the fact that I live at a high enough elevation, I could travel (down) to Dublin and if I charged to 100% straight away, my GOM could say 180km, but if I did the same going (up) from Dublin, the GOM would probably say 140km.

It would be easy for the seller to "game" the GOM by just driving rather slowly and or downhill for a while before charging to 100%.

The OBD dongle and Leaf Spy is the way to get a more exact value on battery state of health.

Thanks for that! So the 112km of the 172 could potentially be higher? He did say his wife drove it with a heavy leg so maybe with more eco driving that could be higher? Maybe I should just go get that one!

Probably not with only 8/12 bars left… I just lost my first bar a couple of weeks ago. In general, I would say in summer I can average around 160km. Sometimes a bit more, or less. I was driving on R roads recently and at 50%, the GOM said 100km left. That's rare and no reflection of reality!

If you get good efficiently going one direction (either because of elevation change / wind etc.), it's going to be the opposite going back. :(

Also remember the first S.O.H. bar is about 15%, the bars after that reflect around 7.5% each as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Unlikely being its 8/12 bars but rarely that much higher.

Just in general to add. I never pay attention to the GOM. My rule of thumb for my 30kWh, is that worse case (very bad weather / motorway driving etc.) you can use 1% battery for each km. Best case, you can get 2km out of every 1%.

If driving somewhere new on a long journey and need to plan charging stops, I'll use the 1% for 1km rule for a nice margin of safety!

There is a range map that gives the GOM value and a more realistic / worse case value as well:

but it's still all down to the past period of driving. You just get a feeling for it after a while and it depends on your personal range anxiety level as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I would not buy a 8/12 bars 30 kWh Nissan leaf without checking if the lost bars are due to out of date BMS firmware or if the battery is genuinely toast.

Thanks again everyone. If #2 @ 112km could realistically be achieved and manage the 70km commute with buffer, even in winter, I think this might be the best option. Anything better is probably going to require at least an extra 1K on top.

Unless the #1 gets a reading soon and it's a good bit higher and I can get it below 5K.

But still #2 is looking to be favourite.

This is from a new model Leaf battery, admittedly with 122k miles on it, this is as high as it would charge:

You buy a Leaf, any Leaf, you take your chances. A friend of mine fixed this one with a few refurbished battery modules a while back, but now it is acting up again with some other weak modules.

Re heat pump and cold pack.

The cold pack was an optional extra for some of the models. Used to cost an extra €200 or €300 I think. It gives you heated seats and a heated steering wheel. Personally, I don't like heated seats but the heated steering wheel is VERY nice in the winter.

A heat pump, gives you general car air heating for not much energy (from the battery). Resistive heating might use high hundreds of watts when on, the heat pump can use 100w or so. Depending on temp setting etc.

In winter, I have the car set to 16 or 17c and keeping the heating at that level, uses about 1-2% of the battery, so almost nothing. That's one big plus about the LEAF, most of them have heat pumps. Still many new BEV cars being sold without them!

• Advertisement

Advertisement