Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now it's official: "Ireland needs a new right wing party".

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

There have been many right wing parties in Ireland. And if people want them in power, believe they represent their beliefs then they will vote for them be in power. If people don't want them to be in power, don't believe they represent their beliefs then they won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭randd1

The PD's were also an unmitigated disaster for this country, between their addiction to boom policies and the wanting of Mary Harney for the health service to go fully along the American model. They were the tail that wagged the FF dog, and their policy of Greed is Good destroyed the social fabric of the country by pitting neighbour against neighbour in one-upmanship. They ran the country on lies and bluster, and we ended up paying the price while they and their cronies continued on as normal.

How we need a shower like them back is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭francois

The no true right-wing party fallacy once again appears on Boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

About 15 of them have been created in the past year. That absolute nutjob Ben Gilroy is the latest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

What is the wokerati?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Right-wing columnist says we need a right-wing party.

This is news, how exactly? And how is it "official"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭randd1

It's almost as if Irish people aren't happy with fascist like rhetoric in political parties.

Beside what traditional or neo-conservative right wing policy, other than a ban or highly restrictive policies immigration or blatant racism, does they country not have?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That is a seriously poorly worded article. She doesn't even articulate what she means by "right wing" which means a lot of different things for a lot of people. Like some people are looking for a racist party, some people are looking for a fiscally conservative party, some people looking for a party with Catholic values etc.

FWIW, I think we have too many left wing voices pushing Ireland towards a communist style economy and not enough articulate people advocating more economically responsible policies. But I have no desire to give up the social freedoms we've acquired over the last 3 decades here. From that point of view, I'm probably most closely aligned with the PDs back in the day as opposed to the American style loony fringe right nutjobs that count for "right wing" parties these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

100% PD's were a disaster.
    Ripped up our health system, broke up Aer Rianta, and pushed heavily for privatization of every public service (ESB, CIE, Telecom Eireann, etc)

Those actions have had far reaching and expensive consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭prunudo

it will happen and will happen quicker than the left realise. Too busy in denial and putting labels on people who disagree with their views as they slide further and further to the left.

Edit:- I'm not even talking far right here, the left are afraid of anyone from centre right and anyone with right leaning views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The only 'right wing' policy there seems to be appetite for is tougher stances on the undocumented, welfare and crime. Not much else about the right appeals to the public. That being said, immigration seems to be the main driver and I'm no longer convinced that the people who support the open door policy are actually 'left wing'. The only benefactors of our current policy is a select few hoteliers and caterers (already rich folks in the know) who get cozy state contracts, the people who suffer from it are typically the working class who's areas are saddled with thousands of young men from the developing world with no ID who will be homed well in advance of any local person seeking a home of their own. Seems like a right wing policy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Ireland doesn't need a right wing party at all.

We need a party that can implement common sense policies.

Prisons overflowing and where we have people on the street who shouldn't be, guards can't manage the current population and workload.

The only thing the minister for justice is interested in is a hate speech law to take resources away from actual crimes that guards currently are understaffed for.

Someone who barely worked a day in their life in the real world and is more interested in wasting guards time pandering to the permanently offended who go out of the their way to seek attention, we all know one, the only gay in the village type that embarsses gay people who just want to get on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I don’t think we need a new right wing party - but we definitely need Fine Gael to get shut of the far left idiots leading the charge and get back to centre-right politics and look after the ordinary Irish person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Or we need left wing parties that are not Middle class hobby horses, that are completely enthrall to radical free market politics, even in the radical left, on many things and obsessed with anything that is nebulous and unrelated to bread and butter issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Theres no real appetite for an actual right wing party in Ireland.

However the majority of people,I'd wager the vast majority are angry with what has happened with immigration. This is compounded when their fears and concerns are silenced or they are called racists etc.

We do need one of the main parties to address this,it was an open goal for SF but they have shown themselves not to be too smart or savvy.My bet is it'll be FG,maybe FF.

Anyway,bottom line is they're be no new significant right wing party any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Daniel son

As soon as you said wokerati, you cannot be taken serious, end of debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ToweringPerformance

The lurch to the right is badly needed to restore some balance. We can't continue with these insane left wing ideologies it is destroying us as a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I assume that the point being made is that we need a centre-right Party (like, for example the CDU in Germany), not some far-right Party (which thankfully there is close to zero support for in Ireland).

That should be FG's natural homeland and I believe there is an easy 25-30% of the population that would vote for such a Party - if one existed that could cogently explain a sensible manifesto. The problem for FG is that they have drifted into the soggy centre of Irish politics, which is the natural place for government parties over the last 3 decades. SF in power would end up there too. The problem with the soggy centre, from a retail politics point o view is, that in attempting to keep everyone semi-happy, you end up pleasing nobody!

FG should recalibrate and lay claim to the middle-class, middle-earning voter base. I think they would be politically rewarded for this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How is this official? It's just the same bleating we've heard from rightists for years with a dump from the Independent.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Hungry Burger

FG in government have been an unmitigated disaster, but they could be good in opposition. Expect to see them pivot to the right on issues such as immigration, crime and welfare.

• Advertisement

If you are:

1. a medium-high earner
    2. own your own house
    3. have kids (i.e. are invested in the future)
    4. think government should run efficiently and on the basis of proper long-term policy, rather than populism
    5. are somewhat socially liberal (i.e. you probably voted yes in the SSM and abortion referendums, but have your doubts about things like transgenderism)

i.e. you are socially liberal-ish but also fiscally conservative

who do you vote for? It should be a centre-rightish Party. Do you feel you have decent options today? I would say not.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

This. Another poster above mentioned that we need a party with common sense policies on crime, welfare and immigration. This is what I understand to be a centre right party and this is what the Indo columist is talking about. And is badly needed at this stage.

No shortage of posters still in denial about the domination of woke politics in Ireland I see.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

No need for any right wing party. Just for FF and FG to actually implement the policies their grassroots actually advocate for, and not spending time trying to appeal to the median Soc Dems voter. They seem to manage this for 90% of their respective histories and were rewarded by the electorate for doing so.

I'll be honest and say, at this advanced stage of my life (49), I have no idea what the phrase 'woke politics' means. Can you enlighten me please? Which Irish party or parties are considered the biggest practitioners of 'woke politics'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Is that not Aontu? (I know Peadar Tóibín is anti-abortion, but for everything else like…)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

They didn't do anything like the level of damage this current government has inflicted on the country by allowing the Green tail wag the FFG dog

How many articles have you seen in the national newspapers, or any other national media for that matter, saying that we need a right wing party to counter the drive to the left? The only mention of right wing politics I ever see in the national media is hysterical shrieks about how any protest or concern raised about unlimited immigration are the first steps towards Ireland becoming the Fourth Reich.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nope, Aontu is literally the opposite of what they want.

Fine Gael is the closest to what they're after.

Advertisement