Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croatians attacked in Dublin, one man dead - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Would love to see us take inspiration from the Dutch/German/Polish police, get a few tall lads in SWAT vests for the Gardai carrying machine guns walking around the streets. A bit of tough looking police presence is all I ask for. Knock up a few of the scrotes the odd time if they step out of line. When I was in Berlin, Krakow and The Hague before this was way. You can have freedom but you don’t step out of line, the police take absolutely no **** over there- they show up in full riot gear when there’s resident complaints about youths.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭highpitcheric

Just a thought, came to me earlier.

What if they catch the scumbags and one of them, the one guilty of this crime, is a serial offender ... whos already been given an easy ride by a certain well known overly leniant judge. And was thus around to commit this murder. When he should have been behind bars.

There must be a citywide protest at that point if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭highpitcheric

I grabbed one of the little shytes by the scruff of the neck one day, theyd been damaging my property. Had been warned off, spoke back.

There were tears. 5 mins later his early 20s sister is doing her best jeremy kyle guest act at my door.

Local kids gathered around ... calling me a rapist.

I had been watching tele.

Then glares from the local ma's the next day when I got home.

Shtbag parents. Everywhere. Raising a generation of immune little scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Wezz

I'm a white Englishman and I have been subjected to comments, my girlfriend is a black South African and works in the health system, she has been called every racist name under the sun, spat at, had things thrown at her….easy to say its scumbags being scumbags but its never directed at her white colleagues, always her. These people will probably be inclined to go for anyone but if you stand out for the wrong reasons you are an easier target.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

“Strok and his friend got involved in a commotion near a stop on Tower Road, Clondalkin around 9.45pm. Afterwards, they boarded a bus heading towards Bawnogue.”

What exactly happened beforehand? It’s all very vague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Musicrules

It's really sad. And then some keep making excuses for it. Racism needs to be called out. It's gaining pace and it's going to be horrible for foreign nationals like yourself and your girlfriend. Britain has been going that way for years. Racism is a massive issue. Unfortunately, we're going the same way. Little England.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

Countless foreigners also assaulted in the same period. I experienced being mistaken for a foreigner and the hatred, jealousy and gossiping was an eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

A child from those broods would be disowned if he hadn't become known to Gardai before he turned 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Actually the friend who was also attacked gives an account in the Croatian newspaper linked in the journal article.

Followed them with a car and attacked them from behind

The friend said that he and Josip were like brothers. They hadn't seen each other for a long time, so they agreed to meet in Dublin, where they wanted to spend Easter, because they couldn't get tickets to Croatia. After hanging out in Dublin, Druzinec invited Štrok (in the photo) to his house in Clondalkin. But before that, they stopped to buy something to eat and a couple of beers, "so that they can hang out at home and have a good talk".

When they left the store, says Druzinec, the two friends were talking in Croatian. "I have to say, they started throwing insults at these idiots, because I can't call them people. They shouted at us 'You speak English, you are in Ireland, you are not at home, you have no respect for our country. This is Ireland...' and things like that," recounts the attacked boy.

At that, Druzinec told Štrok to get out of the way, "because he knows how things work in Dublin". They boarded the bus and headed towards the apartment, but they were unaware that someone was following them in a car. While they were walking towards the apartment, about fifteen minutes away, the guys who were throwing things at them in front of the store attacked them from behind.

They attacked him with a hard object

The friend says that the attack was unexpected, because they neither saw nor heard it. "They hit me first with something, I don't know if it was a bar or a bat, I asked the police the details they saw on the video, which they allegedly have. Basically, I fell when they started on Josip. After some time, I managed to get up and wanted to help him, but they started beating me again, even harder," recounts Druzinec, who says that's all he remembers

He does not know how long he lay on the floor, nor who called the ambulance and the police, nor how long it took for them to arrive. "I know that I woke up in the hospital, they were sewing my head, arcade, during the night there were police officers in the room with me, I think two. They took my clothes, which is clear to me, for the DNA of the attacker, they also took my cell phone and did not give it back for three days so I could call someone. I was alone, and I couldn't do anything," concludes Druzinec.

The police drove him from one place to another all day

He spent the next day with the Irish Guards, in clothes that were not his own, unwashed from the blood on his face. They drove him by car from one station to another, and Druzinec told them that he did not remember anything, except what he had already told them. Druzinec thinks that the police were trying to connect him and his friend Štrok with some gang or drug dealers, and both of them, according to Druzinec, had nothing to do with such things. "We are ordinary boys from Zagorje who here and there like to drink beer, wine or gemišt, and we were never interested in drugs," adds Druzinec.

The police confiscated his mobile phone, so they could easily check his contacts, he says. He told the police that he did not have any debts for which anyone could attack him, and they also questioned him about the house he entered three days before the attack, which was found by his employer.

"I was only there on Wednesday afternoon, Friday night and Saturday morning. I moved my things in, and Thursday and Friday I worked in Cork, a few hours away from Dublin. My colleague and I slept in a hotel in Cork. I don't know any neighbors around my new house, I just arrived. "I have no idea if something happened in that house before that," says Druzinec.

Translated from Croatian but his account is pretty clear that they were just two lads minding their own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,087 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The scum need to be put in prison for life, not this 8 to 15 years with parole good behaviour, life should mean life

The justice system needs over hauling and to be tough

Any assault even by a minor needs tougher punishment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Cordell

If I need to stay away of anyone that would be your kind, your veiled racism is the worst there is. At least I can see the violent one coming, but yours is so much more insidious.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

The article paints another negative picture of the guards. It's a well known tactic of theirs to claim drug involvement so they can have a quick and easy investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

They are investigating, these type of attacks are frequently drug related, that guy attacked on talbot st with a machete was Eastern European and it was drug related.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

You would think they would actually be happier in an environment filled with similar people would you not?

A "win, win" for the "scum" and society in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

It's what thick people do.

Welsh people have been verbally attacked in the UK for speaking "forin".

They have yet to beat those from South Wales though that attacked the home of a paediatrician after being egged on by sensationalist gutter press articles.

The mind boggles at why they even bought a paper with text accompanying the pictures anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

To a certain degree I'd agree that it is what violent thugs do.

But I think it's also quite untrue, and convenient for some, to portray these kind of crimes as happening in a bubble.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-48692863

If it looked very much that a man was beaten to death in Dublin recently for being gay or disabled, there'd be national outrage, because we're now highly intolerant of discrimination on the grounds of homosexuality or disability. 30-40 years ago that wouldn't, especially in the case of homophobia, have been the case.

Not to say it doesn't happen, but we don't see anywhere near the same levels of explicit abuse of other minority groups, because broader society is now so intolerant of it. When it comes to race and immigration these thugs are emboldened because they're well aware many will turn a blind eye, and some will even encourage it, though perhaps not directly. 'Ah sure, there's too many of them it was bound to happen' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭lmao10

Another weird post to add to your lengthy list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

another serious assault today near to the same general area of the first assault. Man in serious condition in Tallaght hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

why would he or she need to “steer it in that direction”? It’s exactly what it’s about. Beaten to death for speaking a foreign language and not the foreign language the rest of us speak 🤷‍♂️ **** oxygen thieves.

I’ve read some stupid **** on this website, but that’s right up with the best of it. Utter drivel 🤡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Cordell

Your unhealthy obsession with me is unhealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Article in the independent today, pretty scary stuff. Will be interesting to see what else emerges but it sounds like they must have some kind of suspects.

Josip Strok (31) and his friend were attacked by four men as they walked through Clondalkin, in the west of the city, shortly after 10pm on Saturday, March 30. He died in hospital from head injuries on April 3

Before the attack, it is alleged a group of teenagers, who overheard the victim and his friend speaking Croatian, began to racially abuse them, shouting at them that they “should speak in English in this country”, and other taunts.

It is suspected the teens then put out a message, either on social media or a private messaging group, about their interaction with the Croatian men and their whereabouts.

It is understood that after this communication, a man who has already been identified by gardaí as a “far-right figure” arrived to the area with three other men.

Mr Strok and his friend were then viciously beaten, and Mr Strok was subsequently rushed to hospital with catastrophic head injuries.

A source said: “It is being investigated as a potential hate crime."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Normal people in this country are too tolerant of the sc*m brigade.

Spare me the 'oh they are disadvantaged/didn't have a chance/no Daddy/left school early' excuses. There are plenty people had a difficult start in life who do not behave like those animals.

Sc*m choose to go on like they do because nobody calls them out on it and there are no consequences.

The Black & Tans would be proud of those little cúnts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

well it might be something to do with the fact that they are likely to beat you to death if you open your mouth to these c**ts, that's what they want you to do. they don't start on the type of people they might get a hiding from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yeah, or the fact that you're likely to get a bottle across the head and then stamped on for as much as looking at them sidewards, but tell us how you'd put manners on them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

In fairness I think the poster was talking about the lack of consequences in the courts and the wailing mammies allowed to garner sympathy for scrotes that carry out these appallng attacks .

Should be a harder crackdown after first and second offences , more custodial sentencing and if that needs more prison places so be it .

A lot of these are habitual small time offenders before they indulge in a major attack like this .

And maybe the parents of minors need to be faced with paying compensation to victims ?

Just a thought .

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Harris and McEntee (with the DPP) have emasculated the Gardai and handed the power to the scumbags…

Look at the Gard up on charges for doing his job. It’s no wonder morale is on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭lmao10

Really disgusting stuff and questions need to be asked. A man was brutally murdered on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Its completely reliant on the home environment. Those people who hard a hard start, but had parents/grandparents/family/wider circle who didn't stand for the bad behaviour, usually do ok for themselves.

on the other hand, those with a hard start who have absolutely no-one in their home environment to encourage good behaviour, or encourage schoolwork/ other work, they have such a small chance of ever breaking away from that cycle.

while I believe crime should be punished, & those that commit crimes shouldn't be allowed more then a couple of times to make mistakes, I think having influence on these kids earlier in life and encouraging them and showing them another life, would make a big difference. Would it work for them all? Not at all, but it definitely would for some.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement