Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croatians attacked in Dublin, one man dead - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭laketreeroger

That’s lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That makes no sense.

You have heard nothing about it but made conclusions based on...... nothing!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No. That's not it. A man was beaten to death because he wasn't speaking English. Why are you trying to deny the racism and bigotry linked to the crime?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'David Družinec told Croatian news site Telegram that the people shouted phrases such as “speak English”, “you are in Ireland” and “you have no respect for our country”.'

That sounds pretty blatantly racist/xenophobic to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You seem to be just another poster ignoring the fact that this was a xenophobic attack, the left isn't to blame for the xenophobia. The people happily ignoring and often condoning it are very much so a part of the problem though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

I hadn't commented on that aspect of it. I do agree there was an element of xenophobia, and in fact a Croatian acquaintance of mine was punched full on in the face without warning in Temple Bar two years ago.

Nonetheless the OP, and the 'community activists' he quoted, immediately politicised this and linked it to anti-immigration political activity (though there's no evidence so far that this crime was explicitly politically motivated).

In which case I think it's fair enough for me to introduce my own critical perspective on how it relates to immigrationism. Which of course is controversial, but then what isn't when it comes to issues like these.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Threads merged

Can all posters please take note of the mod warning in post 5 thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i mean to be fair, there's a bunch of low lifes in coolock now getting groups of 10 year olds to chant "get them out get them out". do you think this is going to help them turn out to be good people that don't judge people on the language they're speaking or appearance? that kind of thing manifests itself in horrible ways unfortunately, i'm not sure these kids will be differentiating between IPAS applicants and any bleedin' foreigner when they're older and starting trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Let scumbags run amok for years while constantly apologising for them (they've no faciliteeeez, he's a great footballer etc.) and let them rack of endless convictions all while we are told it's perfectly safe and fine because Honduras has more crime and this is what you can expect

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

On the random violence aspect.

They had never met the man they killed before the killing they followed him and his brother home in a car and beat him to death outside his house.

So what triggers them is a central point.

There have been cases where a cyclist was pulled off his bike and beaten nearly to death what about the cyclist triggered them? Gay people have been randomly attacked and beaten.

Perceived privilege is often a motivation as well.

• Advertisement

Nature or nurture though can a child through nurture become violent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think there is a habit of denying that Ireland is a racist country, which makes perfect sense because Ireland is not a racist country. Yes, there are racist people in Ireland, but not all of them are Irish, and I would even dare to say that the racists per capita ratio is much higher in non Irish communities. On the list of real problems Ireland have racism is quite low. A much bigger problem are violent criminals with 20+ criminal convictions not being locked up for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ToweringPerformance

This is what happens when you've weak governance as regards justice over the last few decades and most certainly the worst minister for justice in the history of this state. Scummers are gonna scum i don't think it matters if you are foreign or not. I got assaulted on Westmoreland street and hospitalised back in the 90's for being from the southside of Dublin and speaking with an apparently posh accent lol (for context i grew up in a council estate that happened to be in Dundrum) by a group of thugs. They didn't care if i was white, black, Asian etc.. all they seen was a target by themselves and went to town on me.

Probably is those same lads kids now doing the same thing to others now in and around the city centre.

but they did care if you were different, you said it yourself that they attacked you for being different. these people will also attack people for being a different race, that's called a racist attack. our scumbags are awful scumbags, being racist is one of their traits, they don't get away with being called racist because they're scumbags. racism is part of their oeuvre.

i mean it's like saying some redneck trump supporter who hates mexicans, immigrants, blacks, LGBTQ people, isn't actually racist because they're just generally awful people.

And yet this thread is about a racist killing…

Terry Pratchet

But that's not true.

This guy was killed for not speaking English and for not being from Ireland.

Terry Pratchet

You can pretend that the real problem is not the real problem but that doesn't make it go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Would you be trying to steer it that direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭batman_oh

The same people that protected the scums rights to act like animals are now turning against them and suddenly care about their **** behaviour when they can latch onto a racist angle. It's all very strange. It's grand to act like a piece of garbage, we will champion your cause, once you don't do anything non PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

100% - the same "community activists" now making hay from this poor man's death would be the same ones turning up to court to defend the scumbags who did it.

And the one who used this man's death to push for an end to protests about unfettered "protection" applicants taking over towns, with no thought to the facilities there, hang your head in shame.

This man is EXACTLY why immigration, with proper mechanisms and limits is needed, he came here to work and support himself - we need tens of thousands more like him. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Racism isn't a problem, it's stupidity and the resulting inferiority or sense of deprivation.

That is worldwide alas. The number of times I saw things hitting the news in the UK about a useless good for nothing usually with a long record of court appearances causing death or serious injury to what quite often appeared to be a "model citizen" was unbelievable. Unless the victim was well known, a long haired attractive female, was a foreign national or had something to boost him or her into the public eye, it would simply not be reported.

One should be thankful to the "foreigners" I suppose, without them as bait the thugs would have to select people from opposing football or tiddlywinks teams. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

From what we know about the case it's pretty much a textbook example of a racist killing, no need to steer it anywhere.

To the best of my knowledge this type of killing is very much a new low for Ireland.

Not only has it not received much attention, people are even very transparently trying to deflect away from the racist aspect.

I'm aware of racist verbal abuse etc being fairly common in Ireland for a long time now, but this crime and the reaction to it clearly point to things having gotten a lot worse in the last year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ToweringPerformance

Exactly. People are attacked for being different, scum only look to attack anyone who isn't scum like them.

It's almost like you are trying to justify a racist killing

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭scottser

It's a staggeringly senseless murder, not least because they killed a foreigner for not speaking a foreign language.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

You're not helping yourself with this kind of dishonesty.

The poster just disagreed about the motive of the murder, and you say he is trying justify a violent killing.

You'd be well into defamation territory if the poster were under a real name eg Mr James Smith.

It's almost like you care more about racism than murder.

It says a lot that you try to downplay, deflect and deny the racist part of this death.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

of course people are going to focus on the racist/xenophobic aspect of the murder when, according to one of the victims, the poor man was beaten to death for being foreign and not speaking english. if it was gang related or a drunk fight that went too far we'd have seen it all before but this is pretty shocking. i mean ffs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement