Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croatians attacked in Dublin, one man dead - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭csirl

Would it have been a [insert whatever type of insult they used in the attack]ist attack?

I think people are missing the point. Its not the case that it is unsafe for people from overseas, but safe for locals. Its unsafe for everyone and anybody could have been the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Anyone who wasn't speaking English or speaking with a foreign accent. because that's why it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Poon Tang

I'm not trying to deflect anything. Maybe they are racists. I would be very surprised if drug use isn't a significant factor in their behaviour though. But we may never know on that score.

Many of the other people hastled by this group were english speaking locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

if people are being attacked for speaking foreign languages then you would think it's unsafe for people speaking foreign languages around the people who killed this man.

i can't understand why people can't accept the fact he was killed for being foreign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭suvigirl

But in this incident they were targeted because they were foreign.

The question you need to ask is if they would have been attacked if speaking english with a local accent. The area is very multicultural - 50% of kids in the local primary school are from homes where english is not the first language. Its very integrated in a positive way.

we don't know that do we? but in this case, according to the victim who survived, they were attacked for not speaking english

The policing response is very important. IMHO a policing response which addresses the drug dealing and associated agressive behaviour will prevent further attacks in the area. I dont think a response centred on far right groups will make any difference.

I think the Garda are haming up the "far right'' aspects to deflect from a local policing failure whereby their eyes were more focused on Sky Sports than what was happening outside their Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Given the details of the crime and that a far right activist is the suspect. It's fair to say xenophobia was the motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Baba Yaga

was out and about in town(dublin) yesterday,have friends over from Italy,was showing them around the usual places,O'Connell St,GPO,Dublin Castle,Christ Chuch etc,they dont speak much english,i speak a bit of Italian,they wanted to walk along the quays,see the river,all going ok until, like the poor lad from Croatia, 3 of our be-loved track suited brotherhood told us " 'eroore,yous are in oirland,we speak ingerlissh ye poxy fordiners" i told them im irish (from Donegal,with my accent as strong as ever) "ere you a fordiner too,foooook off back to your ownnnn cunterty" we walked away,didnt know if they were carrying knives or what,all i had was a heavy camera to swing,Italian friends were shaken and wanted to go to the gards,i felt bad and a bit ashamed when i told them theres no point in that even if we can find one thats not spending his time doing a half hour of road policing!…my point is if this can happen to an Irish man showing people around our country what hope do we have?and listening to the radio this morning you would think the only problems we have here is people speeding on the roads!!!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not trying to deflect

Attempts deflection

👍🏽

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But it isn't the Gardai who were eye witnesses to what happened.

Again this is attempts to deny racist hate and deflect from it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

A significant factor is that we have a section of society that has grown up without consequences to their actions who are only looking for a reason, any reason, for trouble - speaking foreign, speaking with a different accent, looking foreign, looking at them, not giving them a cigarette/light/few bob for the bus, deliberately shouldering someone as they pass and telling the person they have shouldered to watch where they're going,.... Their primary motivation is trouble and they will always find a reason to cause it.

Each and every one engaged in this assault was engaged in a joint enterprise and deserves to be tried for murder and attempted murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭batman_oh

This is the result of years of people aplogising for these little scrotes and their families, sure they lack faciliteeez and it's all everybody else's fault. Funny enough if you let little scrotes have free run on doing whatever they want, they will keep doing exactly that.

I live just off the Ballymun Road and have to listen to them flying past daily on whatever bike they have robbed today, I've seen them openly carrying hammers on the back, off to rob something else or god knows what. But sure let them at it

who's apologising for this type of scumbag? who's going on about facilities for them? people keep saying it's the left's fault for allowing these people to fester but i see no evidence of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Its just another pathetic deflection tactic, anything to avoid having to look at themselves and their "beliefs" in the mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭batman_oh

There have always been lots of people defending our local scum, it's only now that they can be lumped into the evil far right angle as they are attacking people from other countries that the same lot seem to actually care about them acting like animals. Areas like Darndale, Clondalkin, Cherry Orchard, parts of Finglas etc. have been terrorised by scum for years but nobody seemed to care.

It was always blamed on no facilitiez and everybody else causing them to live in 'poverty'. Look at travellers, a protected class that can basically do whatever criminal stuff they want. Will never be called out on it by the do gooders. If you even suggest that they are doing anything wrong you are immediately a racist. Logic doesn't apply when you are showing virtue.

who has ever defended people who assault people?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Poon Tang

What "beliefs" are you referring to?

Do you mean the belief in rule of law and holding people to account for their actions? Those sorts of beliefs?

Should they not be universal beliefs, held by all self respecting citizens? Like, judges handing down suspended sentences to repeat offenders, for example? Should that sort of thing be politicized, or should we not all want to see a better standard regardless of one's belief system?

I don't know if these thugs were repeat offenders. But certainly some would point to this being part of the problem in our society.

• Advertisement

If something like this happened in D4 or other parts of south Dublin, there would be a visible Garda response. That there has been no response and the same gangs have continued on with this behaviour even after the fatality is a disgrace.

these scobies arent right or left or whatever theyre fcukwits who have gotten away with the likes of this all their lives,we've near zero enforcement unless your caught speeding,time to build more prisons(the scobies can build them for us,forced labour,be good for them) get some judges in with a full set of balls and stop pandering to the "ah sure theyve no facilities" crowd,way past time we cleaned up and have a safer country for fcuks sake

who are the no facilities crowd? are you saying people defend these kinds of assaults?

yes,ive heard it with my own ears and seen it with my own eyes…after that poor lad in darndale had a motorbike land on his head…after the play ground was torched in the liberties…after the gards were rammed in cherry orchard…after the riots in town…just a small sample…afterwards id hear the crying "but sure theyve nothing to do,no facilities!" if they do manage to land up in court the defence barrister is spouting the same(worked in the courts so heard it most days there too) "but judge,he had no facilities"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭blue4ever

And that makes it ok and excuses them from being xenophobic thugs? Stop deflecting/protecting - just suck it up as it is: scrotes with chips on their shoulders.

They are everythingphobic, not just xenophobic.

I also think the behaviour is more sinister than the normal gangs you see causing trouble in areas. Its not local kids - includes adults and the area seems to have become a market place for people coming from outside. One of the unintended consequences of new frequent bus routes via busconnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Hopefully you aren't teaching the Italian friends English Baba or else they'll never use a capital letter or paragraph again in their life.

ah excusa,per favore,mea culpa (said in combination Donegalese/Italian gangster film accent and shite spelling) 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

If I understand your point it's that if these thugs hadn't have picked on this guy it would have been someone else?

It's a fair point but I don't think it's necessarily true. I'm no expert on the subject but from a little reading up on it, it seems people commit these kind of crimes for various reasons. In some cases it might be true that there could have been another victim ie they were just looking to attack somebody, but it other cases it seems they're deliberately sending a message, or trying to defend their 'territory' from foreigners.

https://orca.cardiff.ac.uk/id/eprint/58880/1/understanding-who-commits-hate-crime-and-why-they-do-it-en.pdf

From what we know of this case it seems they contacted a far-right figure to set them on this group, so it doesn't look like a random attack that might otherwise have been a local.

But I do think you make a fair point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It doesn't look like there's been much of a response to what's happened in Limerick either. Nobody killed (yet) here but that was clearly a very serious assault and it seems AGS are taking a pretty passive response to videos on social media of foreigners being attacked, essentially saying they'll wait until it's reported to them.

It looks like AGS are either unwilling or unable to tackle this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement