Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Kathleen Sat 6th April 2024.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fair enough, but not an official weather station, so will not count.

And…Carlow Weather not 'news'! 😌

• Registered Users Posts: 23,701 ✭✭✭✭zell12

15°c in Phoenix Park & Malin Head. Been such a long time since we saw that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Given that exposed Belmullet only got 111kph gust so far, that unofficial station's calibration would be questionable.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Holy moly! A 57 foot wave!

https://x.com/CarlowWeather/status/1776576626744037782

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Winds picking up again in South Mayo

Nothing major though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I was living in France near Switzerland back in 2011 and it was mid to high 20s for most of April, it's not that unusual…..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And equally there's always one/several who get offended because someone doesn't share their view on something.

Look, I get that this is a storm thread in a weather forum but the reality is that for most people bad weather is something to be resented and certainly not hoped for. It's inconvenient, may cause significant disruption to plans, or unplanned for expense as a result of damage, travel cancellations etc.

A thread like this will draw people from all over the site who are looking for updates on their area or the area they plan to be. Most don't care about models or the almost excited tone from hobbyists - they just want to know what the conditions are like on the ground from people actually there.

Maybe these events need a chat/normies thread for the latter group and a pro chat thread for those who want to debate models and numbers and what not.

But there's definitely a place for both!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To also keep it relevant, it's sounded worse than it is here in Laois most of the morning. Breezy absolutely but bright and nothing disruptive that I can see (admittedly from the couch as sit here watching the football)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Storms will often do that sort of thing because of their very nature. But notice that we're not getting any of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Blustery here outside Tralee but nothing too severe. On the drive into town a short time ago seen fallen branches pulled in off the roads , reports from Kerry council of quite a few trees down around the county including one in the town park necessitating the closure of the Park and playground for the day. Very mild overnight and again today, 13.6C

steve crowley@SteveCcorkThis storm is causing some damage #StormKathleen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Louth/Meath border, just outside Drogheda.

It has been very windy all morning.

Electricity gone just before 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ascophyllum

That weather station in Clew Bay is about 30kmph put of sync, it regularly reports unlikely wind speeds, during the last storm it reported some unbelievable figures too.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Apologies, radio ran with it & I never checked that it was a private station with questionable calibration.

Fake news that I should have crossed checked, lesson learned

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Ros4Sam24

Extreme hail shower in North Ros, that with the high winds I couldn't hear the TV at the highest volume. A cat day here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭yagan

The main wind event has passed in Cork harbour but the gusts haven't lessened their ferocity.

They seem as violent now as at 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was just out to firies. Blustery with a few trees down in the ditch down to shanahans. Heading to banna with the camera as soon as I get some lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Poolbeg Lighthouse just after full tide

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Extremely blustery in east Sligo, my garden shed is in danger of taking off I've had to barricade the front of it as the wind was blowing the (sliding) doors in. Great time for the other half to be 200kms away 🙄

Can't wait for the wind to die down here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The wind has picked up here. What's most noticeable overall about this storm is the sustained wind speed rather than any major gusts. Also its looks like a prolonged period of strong winds for the west with this system right through till Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wind really getting going now in Galway hide tide at 4.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

fairly windy this morning in south Dublin but it’s died down quite a bit where I am.
    Is the worst still to come or what’s the craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Power has been out here since 09:30. Not seen the ESB Networks fault site lit up, so much, in a long time.

All of the map of Cork and Kerry seemed to be in fault, at one stage.

We heard something bang, in the distance, when the power went so could be a while before we get power again

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Video on Youtube of an Aer lingus plane attempting to land at Dublin Airport around 2.30pm ( Storm Kathleen ). Hold onto your stomachs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think we are over the worst of it in Galway.

Mace Head peaked at 11am with a 111 km/h gust. Belmullet in Mayo peaked then too with 111 km/h.

Athenry could only manage 76 km/h at 2pm showing how it was very much a coastal event.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I was out of the country for the January 21 storm but the wind in East Galway is the wildest I've seen in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Must be due to how high up we are in East Galway as wind very rough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

High tide at Banna Beach with an hour to go to peak

• Advertisement
Advertisement