Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean Air/Congestion Charging set to be introduced by 2030

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Rubbish, they incentivised the purchase of diesel cars, following the car manufacturer's bogus claims. Like sheep they followed the reduces CO2 malarkey, which was true, but that was followed blindly. Then we ended up with dieselgate and it has been proven since that the switch to diesel cars for urban driving directly lead to respiratory issues and related deaths for urban dwellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Ha ha haaa…you can't let it go can you!

You said yourself, rising sea levels don't discriminate.

Can you hold one opinion that is logically consistent with another, can you demonstrate that for us Andrew?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't live in Dublin, don't live near a Luas don't have a Green TD and yet I still have access to train services and a 24 hour bus service into Dublin along with a host of other frequent service routes (orbital and other) introduced under BusConnects.

It's almost like you're posting any old crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

The facts don't lie Seth. Green's poll poorly amongst rural dwellers. The majority of people who live outside of the big cities need a car to live their lives. The Green lunatics want them to lead an Angela's Ash's lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

Thanks for the warning, yeah, there's some Men that think like this for some reason, in fairness I don't know any Women who think like this, or think they're worse off than Men, Most Women are too busy to engage in such ridiculous nonsense anyway. Even in work I've never encountered Women who thought like this.

• Advertisement

Most women are normal, they don't believe the radical hysterical stuff, like most normal people, but you can't reason with radicals.

...but you made the point "the public transport infrastructure that is non existent unless you live in a leafy Dublin Green voting suburb that has a Luas running through it" which I was instantly able to show was complete crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I for one am sick to my teeth of being told of what we can't do because of "EU law".

Are we not equal members of the EU? Members who are respected and influential at that? Isn't that what the Government keep telling us?

Besides, laws can be and are changed all the time. There's nothing saying these targets or "laws" can't be delayed, amended or even abandoned if the politics require it.

What seems to have been forgotten is that these Government's and institutions ultimately serve us, NOT the other way around! The upcoming elections will likely serve as a much needed reminder of that given the mood of this country and generally across the EU to some of these "environmental" policies (as witnessed only recently with the farmer protests across numerous countries).

You haven't shown that, at all. Ask a random 1000 rural folk and they will agree with me. You are talking nonsense.

I think the Europe wide Farmers protests have woken up a lot of people.

• Advertisement

I couldn't care less who might agree with you - I proved your point to be completely incorrect so not sure why you are still trying to say I didn't!

Hearsay isn't proof. Looks like it's two of us who couldn't care less.

Heresay? I live in Leixlip which has an excellent public transport setup and ticks absolutely none of the boxes you said were needed! Like I've already said, you posted crap but are afraid to admit it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've said it before, but the EU as a concept can and will never work.

As a trade entity (the EEC) it can, and did, and very well but this idea of a central Government where individual and independent nations are reduced to the level of counties is doomed to failure.

Why? Because each of those countries has its own history, values, culture, economic and social priorities, and its own resources, strengths and weaknesses apart from the others, but there is NO shared identity or bond between them aside from this (wholly understandable) self-interest. What history there is is mainly bad - let's not forget that only 80 years ago, one half was blowing the crap out of the other, and then engaged in a Cold War for a few decades after that.

Take Ireland… while some may not like to hear it, we have more in common with the UK (and to a lesser extent the US) than we do with the likes of Germany, France or Italy from a cultural or historical perspective. While the benefits are there economically, we already had that under the EEC. The problems arise when the political element comes into play and not just for ourselves but a lot of the other member states as well - particularly the smaller ones like Greece or ourselves as we saw during the Financial Crisis when our "friends" bounced us into the Bailout (or else!)

I still think that eventually it'll break apart into likely smaller, looser alliances. Barring something external happening like Russia reasserting its dominance or China becoming an economic/political threat, or maybe just another financial crash, there's just nothing in it politically for anyone bar the politicians and hangers-on.

Yeah, let's leave the EU because if the Brits can let sewage into their waters then why can't we 🙄🙄🙄

With respect, that is an idiotic thing to say…

The reality most of us are waking up to is that the future of the EU will be decided well beyond our shores, it is out of our hands, and I agree with the poster, the centralization of power is not working, we might have no problem with it, but ordinary Europeans clearly do!

Leixlip has excellent transport setup 🤣 Ah here i thought for a minute you where a serious poster.

Ah, resorting to deflection. When you cannot address my rubbishing of your point that "the public transport infrastructure that is non existent unless you live in a leafy Dublin Green voting suburb that has a Luas running through it"

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

This is my issue, the avocado crew want to penalise car use. But yet with limited public transport outside the M50.

Where is the train service from Navan? trim, Dunshaughlin, Kells, Virginia etc. what option exists here apart from car.

Some twit thinks he is counter arguing because his public transport is great, thereby public transportation is great everywhere. He just needs to be ignored

If the Green Party would do something, get fast frequent buses, get trains and metros in place. Then penalise, I would have no issue. Solutions first then tax.

But all they want to do is tax car usage, so that Angry Andrew can cycle in quiet tranquility, without us scum interfering by going to work to pay for all the cycle paths that he likes so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

I’m from rural Ireland and I don’t think I’ve ever met a single person who admitted voting for the Green Party.

• Advertisement

What has all of that got to do with congestion charging which is a measure that the cabinet (not just Ryan) have signed off to both reduce traffic congestion in our city centres and to halve our transport emissions, as per EU law, by 2030?

Keep driving your car if you wish but don't expect to be able to drive into a city centre without it becoming more difficult and costly. That is the reality and will happen even if the Greens aren't partner the next government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Not rubbish. The changes in the tax system in 2008 didn't incentivise you to buy a new car. It changed the yearly road tax on a new purchase.

A car bought in 2007 was still paying the same road tax in 2008 as it was in 2007. It didn't go backwards and put up the road tax on cars already purchased.

In terms of dieselgate, that was across the World. The car manufacturers don't care what Ireland does, we are too small a market.

So again, you should be angry with the car manufacturers, not a government for implementing a new tax system.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/co2_emissions_rates_2009_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

why would they? living in one off housing is about as anti-green as you can get. means you're car reliant, generally have a huge house, septic tanks, harder to heat etc. it's hardly a surprise those who choose to live that way don't vote for greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Why do you go around asking them?

Looking at the last local election you have councillors from the Green party all over Ireland, so someone in rural Ireland was voting for them? maybe you need to widen your circle of friends

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I did. I was young, naive and won't make that mistake again.

We need to live in reality. Ireland didn't cause the climate catastrophe that's coming down the track and we sure as fúck aren't going to solve it. We amount to a puff of smoke on a global scale. Yet we have to be seen to carry the can like good little Europeans while the Yanks and particularly the Asian economies have a laugh at us and plough on with destroying what's left. Try bringing in even the most milktoast anti car laws in most US states…… How would that go? Riots is how it would go.

I'm not saying do nothing here, but there's not a whole lot of sense in penalizing hard pressed people just trying to get from A to B with draconian laws that serve no purpose other than to make a politician look good, while the rest of the world doesn't give a shít and Dublin airport is exploding with tourist traffic year on year.

I seen earlier in the thread you said you don’t have a car, so fair play for practicing what you preach. I remember last year my car was in getting fixed for 2 days and I genuinely felt like a child not having access to a car.

There’s nothing negative about the things you listed above though.

I did. I was young, naive and won't make that mistake again.

They're complete feckers to be fair - doing what they said that they'd do once elected

Perhaps you’re right @Clo-Clo birds of a feather flock together I suppose.

Most people I know love giving out about the Greens. It’d come up in conversation every now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I’m grand thanks. Congestion charges will take poor people off the road. I will drive my car, wave at me and say hi as I sail past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'm a rural dwelling green party voter

Train services have improved

Bus services have improved

Local bus links are now available and more coming on stream all the time

There is investment in cycle infrastructure.

Yes, we need a car in rural Ireland but at least the greens will try and provide alternatives

Look at all the old empty houses renovated and brought back to life - done while the greens are in power

Advertisement