Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candy Cab from rklok.nl - what's your experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dav09

I second this, nearly all cabs go through bad conditions, you should see how a lot of them come out after sitting in a shipping container for 3 months in rough seas, damp, mould, etc. a hairdryer can do the trick believe it or not, but it's best just keep it in doors for a few days like mentioned. I also have 29" candy with it's monitor currently sitting out (working) so it's tempting me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

That is true to be fair. My mistake was when I had cabs, they actually lived and were used in an outdoor concrete shed that wasn't insulated, was prone to dampness and moisture in the air. Using them in this environment was problematic, but for pure storage it should be fine for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As an aside, remember that time you managed to get that Gunblade DX into your shed? 😂 they were some crazy days.

Don't think I'll forget that one ha. An absolute unit of a can, huge rear projection CRT cab with giant guns...the hell was I thinking 😁

They are big awkward yokes, have a big deluxe style Top Skater which is simular. I'm still yet to meet anyone as dumb as me buying a cycraft though, no wheels, weights 1.1 tonnes and the size of a car, what was going through my head. 😀

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Whatever happened to that in the end actually?

Are those Cycraft machines robust / safe enough to leave unattended or would you need an operator standing by if you were to ever have it on site?

It was sold to me with a fault that wasn't disclosed by the seller. Can't remember the error on screen but it was power related I believe. Tried x3 replacement power supplies in it, fault remained. It'd only play for 2-3 minutes before erroring out. Decided to wash my hands of it and ended up giving it to Mitch for free. Was glad to be shot of it tbh, who knows what was going to go next within it.

The Cycraft is designed to be operator-less, they were designed to replace the R360, three main issues imo were paying an operator to stand there, maintenance and cost of the machine which it dealth with. The Cyrafts were half the price and apparently much more robust, but still provide an absolutely amazing experience on them. It comes with a big cage around it so that no one can get struck by it and doors that automatically open/close/lock, seatbelt sensors, motion sensors outside the cab, etc. more than the likes of the R360. They usually were located near the cash desks however I assume so it could be monitored.

As for the Gunblade Dlx that's a shame, a great game overlooked by many. Sounds like a model 2 issue potentially graphics, they sometimes did that after a few minutes, or else the PSU wasn't strong enough losing voltage, could have been a lot of things really.

Exactly, an absolute minefield of custom designed arcade hardware with a myriad of potential candidates causing the issue...great game, would have loved to keep it, but hard pass on that level of time/money investigating it. It made a standard jamma cab look like an Atari 2600 in terms of complexity.

Master of the Universe

Oh I remember that now! Glad to hear it went to the great Mitch collection in the sky, wonder did he do anything with it in the end.

That's really fascinating stuff. That cage must be absolutely huge, did you get that with yours too?

Speaking of the R360, did anyone ever hear what happened to that one found in the field in Northern Ireland? I remember seeing it appear on loads of click baity websites for a bit but then it vanished and I didn't hear anything else about it.

I see there's a spot in the Netherlands that actually has not one but THREE of them up and running.

https://agragames.eu/en/

Unfortunately all of the videos are on FaceCrap so I can't post a link, but here's a bit of a screenshot. I'd absolutely love to stop in for a go.

• Advertisement

The R360 that was in the bog in NI is still in the bog. There are very few people crazy enough/ dumb enough to go save it. I for one probably fall into that category, I've dreamed of having all of the major Sega simulators at one location, having a Cycraft is beyond my dreams but miles out of range price wise what I could afford, so R360 is a grail of all grails however there are a few major issues with owning one even if it's fully working i.e. parts. I actually did look into rescuing it a few years back, one of the main stumbling blocks was it's exact location, the two people who know where it is seem to want to gatekeep it for some reason, and they've mentioned attempting to buy it a few times but never seemed to do so/show any actual attempts publicly anyway.

I mean to break it down and majorly simplify it, step one would be to literally pull it out of a bog. I don't know how you would do that without a HIAB, forklift would likely get bogged down from the photos. Buying it, renting a HIAB and transporting it would probably cost a good few $k as is, and at that stage all you will have is a fairly mangled R360.

So what next? You'd then have to sort any/ all structural issues. I spoke to two people in the engineering world and both said it likely wouldn't be that bad to sort structurally, a lot of the parts can be either cast or bought off the shelf. You may get lucky with some parts having surface rust, but it'll still cost a bit to sort. It would have to be full stripped down either way.

Next is the issue with the electronics, which is a major snag. If you want to go pureist, you can spend the next 20 years trying to find original PCBs and replace them. The R360 was a beast electronically (from what I gather), a lot of custom boards and was 3 Phase so needed a lot of power for it's motors (I was also told/ read this about the Cycraft but it is not true, maybe in the USA but mine is 100% 230v single phase). But being three phase is also a problem unless you've a unit with that. Realistically, it's not really do able electronically, at least not using original hardward, as what little is left is mostly stockpiled by owners/ finding all parts/ looms out there is impossible unless someone was scrapping one. Realistically I've worked on a bunch of cool emulation projects with motion and real hardware, while I've kept all of my dlx cabs original, some people have not due to diminishing parts, etc, and I think this is what would have to be done here. Realistically newer, better parts. I wouldn't be surprised if the motors/gearboxes were available off the shelf still albeit maybe used, it's the same with the Cycraft. I've made speed controllers, got motion parameters from mame, etc. It's do-able but doing it accurately might be a bit of a problem, but I reckon with programming/ dialing it it might well be possible.

I've also tried thinking outside the box with some problems. There's a company in China who Sega contracted to make the R360 2 who I'm fairly sure will supply parts, the only question is how does it fare vs the original size, dimensions, gearboxes, fitments, etc. Obviously it has all new parts too, so would need emulation. I know of two people who I've spoken to with one who have got the original working on Flight simulator so there is some knowledge out there that can be leveraged.

All in all, above only scratches the surfarce, there are still plenty of loose ends/ questions, maybe visiting one in real life might help, would love to go to Agragames some day. A project like that would probably need a lot of community help too, and would cost a tone. Another angle you could just restore it aesthetically, which would be nice but a bit wasteful, then again someone else but argue a full restore with a decent amount of non original parts is wasteful. I suppose there's a reason (myself included) most people who looked into it haven't touched it yet, but would make a seriously entertaining video documentary when someone does. It definetly is worth saving none the less.

I dunno, it sounds like you're half tempted to just ride that storm and see what happens 😁 to justify it, in context of it being a grail cab of yours...I'd break it down into stages that could span 3/5/10+ years if needed!

Stage 1 - absorb the cost of rescuing it, and let it sit in storage to dry out for a prolonged period, if anything to take the sting out of the initial rescue cost. I'd document the hell out of it, because it'd be one hell of a journey.

Stage 2 - get it structurally right again, repair/buy/custom commission the parts needed, continuing to document everything.

Stage 3 - The electronics. On the assumption that they're all toast and irreplaceable, proceed with a working emulation approach (just for that one game, no frontend, no fancy UI, the game just boots as it would on a real PCB.)

Stage 4 - Compile all the documented footage/efforts/drama/hardship/success into a feature length video...this particular cab is world famous, and any efforts to restore and save it would garner literal worldwide interest. How cool would it be to save the journey and share it with the world!

Yeah, as you said, there's only a handful of loons quite mad enough to take this on....and I shouldn't be encouraging you if you're one of them...but its a lifetime grail cab, and there's a real story to tell if anyone is mad enough to tell it....so yeah, do it 👌😁

Kinda reminds me of this in a way, a lifetime goal documented and shared.

Master of the Universe

There's an amazing story in this, would be a fantastic Youtube channel with video updates.

Part 1 could even be the adventure in locating where the thing actually is.

How do you find an R360 located in a random bog in Northern Ireland if everyone who knows it's location is being tight lipped? Apparently it's located near the north coast of Antrim. Could you maybe spot it with some helicopter flyovers? 😁

Sounds like a task for a fleet of drones to me...

@Steve X2 to aisle one please....

Master of the Universe

Huh, so I went digging and the guy who found this cabinet in a field was called 'Lee Peters'

To make it even more interesting, he posted the below image in May 2020 saying 'Hi seen this at a farm house yesterday' Has it maybe already been pulled from the bog after the initial find?

Further comments from Lee Peters:

Lee PetersAuthorHi had been left with a farmer in has yard from a local arcade in Northern Ireland and owner never returned to pick them up have been there for years

Lee PetersAuthorThere was no mad collection of machine it came from a local arcade that closed down many years ago

Cheers @Inviere yeah that would be a plan. And I really don't need any extra convincing on it haha. 😀 I'm hoping someone scoops it up before I get the chance probably later in the year. I would love to do it but I'm sure the mental strength needed to do a project like that would have to be exceptional! On top of money bags. Can you even imagine stripping all the rusted bolts, seized gearboxes, etc. I would say you could make a damn good YouTube series for a few years with regards to restoring it, I would definetly watch if someone does, there's like 20/30 out there known to still exist I believe so it has to be worth saving. The one from Quirkeys was scrapped about 10 years ago, I have a contact who last had it but seems to have sold it's spares, I can imagine someone trying to dig it out of the dump for parts for the other one from NI haha.

Anyone any good at Geoguesser/ Geolocater? There's some mad lads out there who can identify pretty much exact locations using one photo, and theres multiple photos of this. Whenever I try find it I always end up here lol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R360_road_%28Ireland%29

It would be one mental project to take on, a big part of me would love to, another big part of me know it would probably completely break you midway through haha. Anyway I've enough projects and no space at the minute for it unfortunately/ thankfully.

And @o1s1n he posted a year or so ago he never got it out if I remember correctly, pretty sure I asked him for a location lol. It was in a yard, then shed, then ended up in the bog lol.

Master of the Universe

Holy ****, so the yard photo above is BEFORE the bog photo? 😯

I was comparing the yard photo with the bog one and the big rust patterns matched up, so I was thinking it had been taken out of the bog and wiped down a bit. That's really sad.

Off back to looking for it on google maps 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭littlemegagamer

@Colonel Panic I found a couple of nice pictures of your Aero in an old post. Your cab came in very good conditions! Well done!

I wonder those were its original conditions or if Ronnie restored it for you ?

I would like to know some more details about it if you don't mind:

Did you get any volume adjustment option with your cab?

Is it grounded or have you got any issues about it?

Did it come with a kick harness compatible with CPS1 and CPS2?

Do you have an easy front access to the monitor trimmers control?

tx

I'm fairly certain yeah, unless I've gotten it wrong. Below too is the Chinese supplier who were contracted to do the R360 sequel it seems. Although this model does seem a good bit different to the Sega R360 2 model, probably for legal reasons. ttps://m.made-in-china.com/product/Rids-720-Degree-Vr-Flight-Simulator-for-Sale-881129635.html

But that might be handy for anyone trying to get new motors, gearboxes, supports, safety harnesses, etc.

Please someone but it in Ireland, I will lots of free help! As I really don't want that headache 😂

Apologies too for the thread derailment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I dunno what state it was in when Ronnie took it off the container. The photos I got matched what was delivered.

No volume adjustment. Didn’t realise that was a thing and not something I care about.

No weird grounding issues.

I bought a kick harness wired for CPS1 and CPS2 and connected it to the “kick” buttons myself.

You need a tool to reach the pots to adjust the display. I got some plastic tools designed for the job. Most you could use a screwdriver, but definitely not the horizontal adjust pot.

thanks @Colonel Panic

Sorry, what do you mean for “not the horizontal adjust pot”?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The thing that adjusts the horizontal screen size (or position, I can’t remember) is a hexagonal piece of metal inside a metal coil.

ok, perhaps you have used a socket tool for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Would need to get out the fancy LIDAR cameras for that one 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Finally got this working again. It was the damn serial converter board in the end. Tiny little thing cost just €20 from Yaton. Absolutely delighted!

Wow not what I expected, there's not a whole lot of electronics in them as they're just a small signal coverter. If you ever need linebergh more parts let me know lol have lots. Great machine well jealous.

how long it takes to get an answer from Ronnie?
    I sent him an email a couple of days ago , but no answer yet (?)

Post edited by littlemegagamer on

• Advertisement

I am assuming his current policy is selling to whoever responds first to his email

Advertisement