Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candy Cab from rklok.nl - what's your experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭littlemegagamer

mmmmh 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

Not with them but others used to charge 600-700 for a cab port to port before the world went mad and estimate 3 month wait for shipment to get to europe, there is probably a few other charges as well on top of all that

my own view on a lot of the cabs that came out of china a few years ago is they where very average stock , most cabs that came in before 2012 were decent to excellent and the blasts around 2007-2010 were like new !

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭dav09

I have it's usually LCL or crate shipped, shared container space. Vewlixes/LCD candy cabinets ship nice as they usually fold down very compact but never shipped a single cab, it would definitely be more economical to ship multiple, I tried (and failed) at doing a group by a while back here.

And as @geotrig said a lot of the stuff coming out now is a real mixed bag, some is really bad, buying any arcade stuff from china is usually a risk. Shipping has calmed back to similar levels pre-covid but be careful with port fees, handling fees, import changes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

There is a european take on candy cabs on adverts right now

http://www.adverts.ie/33340866

sega naomi.

The CRT is usually vga (31k 640x480) but the ad says it's wired for jamma so it could be a tri-sync CRT covering cga, ega, vga. That is exactly what you want as you can play everything from 80's to 00's.

• Advertisement

nice cab! VGA only I think... I have just a small spot for a cab and I hope will be an astro city ...I am still try to convince my wife :)

I found online comments of people that received cabs with monitor issues from JCL, although they received in advance videos of the monitor working (?) ...maybe something happened during the shipping.. clients are both Americans and they were very happy about the customer service...

Personally, I am attracted of the idea to get a full restored cab (aesthetically at least), but I would prefer to get a cab with some history on... of course in average good conditions...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks for that, the Afterburner cab looks sweet!!

Those Afterburner Climax cabinets are quite common, I could find a few in Ireland if anyone wanted one. Keeping the Lindbergs running and actually moving the things are the tough work.

As for the fake New Netflix City/Converted Naomi. You could get a real Naomi for half the price, chop it and do it yourself, loads of guides online. I even probably have one if someone wanted to take on the project. You can easily get signal converters too so it doesn't really matter if VGA or not (unless your picky about sync, which a lot of Naomi's are multi sync.)

As for monitors, anything with monitors are tricky. I've probably shipped hundreds of cabs at this stage and I can say a good percentage go out of whack but are easily adjusted, the knobs tent to move for sync during shipping, very easy to retune. But anything with monitors is tricky a, they break commonly and are always a risk particularly in shipping, if they're off for too long or get damp (often in containers, you HAVE to dry them out). Thankfully there are guys in Europe who repair them (just send the chassis not the whole monitor).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I read this as - I have a Lindberg and want to move on :) I'm interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I've got cabs of Ronnie , arrived within week and a half. On a pallet strapped and boxed at your front door . Not had a problem. A small wire came loose on the trisync monitor chassis on the astro city in transit and my heart sank with I first powered it up 😅 I've not used him in about 6 years though

Now I'm on the hunt for a sega rally ...sitdown or upright

Bloody England and Brexit , always a good source for cabs and now it's off the radar

Was an Astro with a trisync monitor like the one for the Blast?

I guess it was half price 6 years ago compare to now!

Good luck for the hunt! that would be a good piece. I would love to have a space one day to fit one of them!

Yep! you cant skip the custom now... not even for smaller purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Didn't think of that, you'd get nailed to the wall with taxes on a cabinet from the UK. Anyone importing cabinets to the UK must be having a very hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Remember pre brexit you could get Martin to collect a cab anywhere in uk to palletise in his warehouse then pay transland €100 to deliver to your door for €100. Simple and no fees.

I'd say arcade art shop and arcadeworlduk online stores are feeling the pinch of brexit. I don't even use amazon.co.uk anymore, just amazon.de.

Just a shame the EU hasn't come up with any postage fee subsidies for Ireland/EU postage. The UK subsidises the postage costs from NI to the rest of UK but we pay exorbitant prices on postage to/from the EU.

amazon uk is grand no changes there to be honest,

Ive always used a man in van setup for collecting cabs which was always cheaper than the martin/transland route but could be slightly limited on area of collection at times , and while brexit has changed the amount that can offer this , there is a slight work around .

I brought in cab cab last year with a man in a van for circa 150ish, cheaper than the above martin /transland route. Guy brought it in ,in the back of van as part of a house move which happens quite a lot still .just saying 😉

Post edited by geotrig on

Unless you're looking for really dedicated stuff i.e. Japanese or rare games there's still plenty of stuff in Ireland if you look hard enough. Italy and even eastern Europe like Greece has lots too, just be careful with quality/ sellers sometimes.

Transland is currently around 150 for UK to ire + customs fee and vat so just over 200, if you're bringing in anything big/ oversized they know how to charge though (i.e. Cycraft the size of a car isn't cheap, trust me). I've read of people using the likes of Border Parcel Motel to accept pallets UK to NI and get them collected again to bring them down south then but not sure the legality of that loophole or if there are any downsides, as customs/vat not charged, never used it myself though.

• Advertisement

biggest problem individuals have is not been able to get them cleared without eori no's and at lot of carriers/people didnt want the hassle of trying to get stuff cleared,but if you have a business and eori etc its a bit easier to get stuff in. as above pleanty of stuff around here though.

Yeah I'm not sure if EORI's are needed for import to NI but maybe, rules seem to be changing regularly. Business make it much easier but still a lot of paperwork either way. Most couriers need business details too so either way there is no easy way from UK to IE now. Thankfully above seller wont have any of that maybe just VAT on Ronnie's side when ordering from him.

ronnie has a great looking madona up now , best looking cpo of all candies except e29 maybe ! And just for O1s1n that is sequence in my head is e29-madona-pony

Master of the Universe

Ooooh where are you seeing that Madonna?

Those cabinets have an amazing control panel, totally agree. I didn't realise how steep the monitor angle was on them though, much more like a modern cabinet. Check out the difference between it and the Pony beside it in this photo. I'd say my SNK cabinet is angled somewhere between. (you can actually see one in the background of this photo beside the blue Consolette!)

(as an aside, how amazing is this arcade???)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If you have access to an NI address? Get the cabinet shipped there. Then have it collected by a courier/man with a van and delivered down south. I've not used this method for a Cab yet but, I buy a lot of watches in from UK via this method and have never had an issue.

Post edited by banie01 on

great arcade alright,just dont look at the bottom section 🤢 , been quite a few madona's on yahoo in recent times at decent prices and snk cabs too

I received an email from rklok newsletter yesterday about a candy cab for sale. Once I read the email after about two hours I received, the cab was already gone 😲

He should be a very reliable seller to sell so quickly a cab for 1995€+shipping with an advert based on two pictures

Master of the Universe

That's it alright, shows you how much trust people have in him if they're so willing to commit to over 2k in an hour or two.

I remember when I bought my first cab from him I was harassing him for loads of photos before buying. To be fair, he sent them on too!

I am sure when you bought yours there wasn't all this demand!

...I understand to trust him about what is inside the cab, but it would be nice to be able to see the external aesthetics conditions before spending 2K.

(just an off topic question: if you have an Astro, could you tell me the height from the top to the control panel to the floor level please?)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I don't actually have an Astro unfortunately!

I do have a Jaleco Pony that has about the same control panel height as a Sega Aero, which it turn has the same control panel height thereabouts as an Astro. So I could give you an approx vicariously through other cabinets if that would help? 😁

You looking to source some stools? Original Japanese arcade stools are literally the perfect height so if you can't get those, I'd aim for something in an around their height.

Advertisement