Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candy Cab from rklok.nl - what's your experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

With the likes of an Atomiswave (and prob an Egret 2), the control panel section can unbolt so makes it easier to move between rooms if doorways are tighter. Not super easy to get to the bolts with the CRT still in place, but doable. Photo when I was prepping my one to move from work→home (removed the CRT next)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

But ultimately

c) arcade gaming happiness awaits. 😁

When in doubt lifting heavy objects, just throw more people at the problem. Three people with a dolly would get an Astro up a staircase without too much difficulty.

Master of the Universe

I see Ronnie just listed an Astro for sale

- Wiring : Jamma
    - Original MS9 Nanao/Toshiba combo screen ,working ok , no burn in
    - Original 2 player 2L3B panel (Upgrade new 2L6B repro panel + €150)

Price : 1895 euro, ex shipping Europe, aprox € 195

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

There’s also that Naomi Universal on Adverts for €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭littlemegagamer

Guys, thanks for all your comments and support!

I am new to this nice community... but I am quite old about retrogaming, electronics and all the hassle and debugging that come with it 😁 …It doesn't mean that I am happy to dismantle the cab once I get it… I know that I can do it, but I need also to change the layout of my box/gaming room… In addition, I am sure that I will need to clear the box room to assemble in the beast and then put all the other staff in…… It will be a long process..

I am seriously thinking to leave it in garage for a good while although I don't like totally this idea. It will be a nice piece to have in a fully dry space at home. Also I will need to tight the garage first, maybe paint it… it is not a big space, and we use it like utility room … Anyway It wont be a permanent… so I will go for the garage, but I need to think a good solution…

• Advertisement

I got it too 😍

big temptation yesterday for it night! it seems in good shape… no scratches

I would like to get one with an original 2L6B

I got it too 😍

big temptation yesterday for it night! it seems in good shape… no scratches

I would like to get one with an original 2L6B

Anyone know if the original Astro come with the volume pot integrated with the switching PSU?

Perhaps I saw some of these online… Sure the New Astro has one

Master of the Universe

If you're interested in it he could easily stick a 2L12B panel on it it's just the inner metal plate around the stick and buttons) I'd say he has loads lying about. it's a very simple switch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Inviere

Dobt leave it in a garage, unless the garage is insulated, dry, and not too cold. Those conditions kill cabs. I'd advise you to bring it straight into the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭geotrig

Just for ref the correct term for the panel is 2L12B if when looking,which Ronnie offered a repro for $$$ , pretty much most panels out there are repros anyway and are good enough , good get dude as you just never know when the supply dries up when the next lots will be offered, on the garage many do keep them in such but just be mindful of condensation

Master of the Universe

Yeah Alberto over on arcade otaku makes up lovely repro panels. I have one of his in my SNK cabinet at the moment and it's really well made. Can't tell the difference between it and my legit one.

Yep

…also I looked properly in the garage and there is no way that it could stay there for longer… I have no space ..as I said we use the garage as utility and it would be a problem…

Maybe my best option for now is to get an Aero City that I will be able to roll through the doors and get in the house…

then will see how to get it upstairs… @o1s1n mentioned a dolly for the stairs but I can get a figure about how it could works …it's a bit dangerous…

Master of the Universe

Three people is your answer :D

Strap the cab to the dolly, one person stand with their back to the stairs tilting the dolly back while two people at the front lifting the dolly from the base. Take each step one at a time. You'd have it up in no time.

I used to live in an apartment five storeys up from the street with no lift. Had to do the above with two cabinets up multiple staircases but it was absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Inviere

horizontal and vertical alignment is something that usually needs tweaking between boards.

Master of the Universe

I find that Neo Geo, CPS1 and CPS2 are all set up the same so use that as my base regarding screen configuration.

Most games arent too far off that so I just tend to put up with a bit of cut off if it's not too bad.

Some definitely do need tweaking though. The PGM is a really bad offender. Everything looks squished if you don't stretch it out with the horizontal pot.

That's normal. Happens with all the CRT and even with LCD through OSSC. Every type of mobo has different video output…

Perhaps, it's handy to adjust the geometry with the Astro which has the remote control just into the control panel, instead of the Aero that has the trimmers on that front gap…

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know it's normal. The context to the post you quoted is that I mentioned having to calibrate the screen or something.

Adjusting the geometry on the Aero is grand. What do you mean by remote control? Isn't the remote board for the Astro similar to the little pots under the Aero city monitor?

Yeah, that's the rule of thumb I took as well. I went with Neo Geo first then CPS1 and sort of found a good middle ground between them.

After that, even stuff with weird refresh rates and resolutions looks fine, just not to the edges!

Anyway, maybe the Areo will be my option. I can pass it through the doors and then bring upstairs trying the @o1s1n technic :-)

I will take some info about the Areo. I would like to know more about the kick harness, if I get one has to be with the 6B, and how to get a volume pot, because I wont be able to set that anytime from the boards (I made a case for all my boards…)

I meant, the trimmers control is more accessible with the Astro then the Areo, at least for what I can see from pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Yes access to the monitor adjustment board is needed. If you are using groovymame in the cab, the horizontal is always fixed (to the 2560px super res) so you only need to adjust the vertical. Not all games use the full 240px vertical height and might want to adjust that to fill the screen 100%.

By the way that chopped naomi is reduced to 900 now. If it has a tri sync crt (I would say it does as it's wired for jamma) then that looks like a good deal to me. Pop in a pc with jpac or an sqarcade and install groovymame. Plug in and off you go. The back comes off and the crt pops out for easy moving these. I have one and love it. Mines a 31k crt only though.

Master of the Universe

The thing about cabinets is they're very adaptable. If you get one without a kick harness all you have to do is buy a kick harness for about 20 euro and you have it wired up in ten minutes.

Same with control panels. If you have to buy a 2L6B but you actually want to play fighting games with six buttons each, you can easily buy a replacement 2L12B panel and it'll slot right in.

You kind of need to think of arcade machines in those terms. They're really part playing games, part project doing them up. So half the fun really is getting them how you want them.

Neither of my cabinets have any sort of volume control. It all comes from the game PCBs themselves. What I did to get around that was to add a headphone jack to them.

Im confused now why are you going on about an aero, did you "buy" The Astro?

Astro will be easier move about than an aero

Or just go with a egret2/3 which is a doddle to move about

I would like to have an Astro, but I will not able to get in in the house because to large to pass through the doors.

I am thinking to buy an Aero now, because is smaller.

Egret 2 has the same size of an Astro (maybe I would be able to remove the control panel avoiding to dismantle the entire cabinet with it)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭dav09

Another final option is a Neo Geo sc19-4, they're smaller 19 inch screen and there's theres guys doing good repros of them in Spain I think for a similar price to Astros. Might not need to dismantle.

• Advertisement

Ok I took it Friday that you bought that Astro, but a reread may just suggest you got the mail 😔,i give up . How big is your door way tobe honest there is no issue storing the cab in the garage for a while these have been in warehouse and metal containers at sea for many months now. All you need to do is let it acclimatise in the house for a few days once it in

Advertisement