Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 out of 3 young adults living at home

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes, a veritable simple simon is me. Your personal perspective was just more poor mouth. The "deteriorating property" is what happens when you use an asset, but it is making you passive income hand over fist in both rental income and appreciating value.

Also, you said even the best tenants don't take care of it. This is obviously not true (or else you expect them somehow to restore the property to "as new" which is ridiculous). The vast majority of landlords make significant profit on their assets when they do their accounting properly, the existence of a minority of disruptive tenants does not change that.

I don't think landlords are evil, I just have very little time for their complaints about the difficulties that arise from their income stream not being as carefree as they hoped.

Also, to maintain the topic, the oft-quoted rationale that the rental problems are related to landlords leaving the market due to how difficult it is are clearly nonsense. There are difficulties due to the rampant use of Airbnb because it is an unregulated market they can make more money on but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭purifol0

Thanks for biznizz advice. Of course if this all becomes too much of a hassle I could always take it off the market completely for a couple of years and then rent it out again with a brand new price tag as it wouldnt be restricted to the RPZ increase. I could fill it to the brim of desperate Brazillians, all female. I could charge them less if they clean it and even less again to **** me. I could misreport my earnings to the tax man and misreport their names to the RTB. I could realllllly cream it with no real worries because the RTB is a paper tiger.

But I don't, do I. My tenants are people and I treat them with dignity and respect and HOPE they do the same to me.

To do that I need to be discerning about who I let it out to, but THE LAW says I can't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭downtheroad

You'll get capital allowances for new floors. And if you get a professional cleaner in to remove those odours it is an allowable expense.

You're coming across as the simpleton to be honest.

And it is you're not your.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's up to you. Anyone in any role can potentially try to take advantage of vulnerable people. There was a security guard in the news who was jailed for molesting a teenager he caught shoplifting. You haven't yet demanded a ride off any vulnerable Brazilian lady though who is desperate for a house. Bloody laws and all that.

I didn't know we were at the stage of handing out medals to the people who don't do such things but list off all the other things you aren't doing because they are illegal and I'll get working on getting your medals cast for you.

You are indeed simple if you think people that rent in any way take care of a property in the same way an owner does.

Again I'm not giving the poor mouth, there are now more minted slumlords now then ever. But if you think the state giving the "good" landlords even more restrictions and hoops to jump through without anything in return, or indeed not punishing said slumlords then you are in for an even worse time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Gary_dunne

To do that I need to be discerning about who I let it out to, but THE LAW says I can't do that.

The law says nothing about holding interviews with prospective tenants and you choosing the most preferable one to yourself and the other tenants renting. Unless you clearly tell rejected candidates that you didn't accept them because of HAP or any other discriminatory reasons.

Will people renting pump tonnes of money into a house that they don't own? No of course they won't. However the vast majority will look after it as it is literally their HOME while they live there.

Hey genius, discrimination is necessary natural and there is usually nothing wrong with it. Picking the best anything means discriminating against the others.

HAP tenants are very often the worst ones, secondly the HAP payment is given to them and not the landlord. If they decide not to pay rent, the council will not help me evict them. This payment system is not good for the "good" people on HAP.

Ha, perhaps I'll invite you along the next time a tenant moves out. You can help with the clean up. The last lovely lady that moved out kept pet rats and she didn't believe in keeping them in their cage or telling her housemates about them either. Needed an electrician and plasterer for that one.

Honestly and apologies if you took it this way but I wasn't meaning that you would have discriminatory reasons for not choosing a certain candidate. I purely meant that unless you outwardly stated that you didn't pick someone because of HAP or a specific discriminatory reason you're fine by the law. You could just say you got on better with candidate A over B.

• Advertisement

How on Earth could other housemates not hear rats running around? We had a couple of mice a couple of winters ago and everyone of us could hear them til we caught them.

Well now I think that young lady wont be shoplifting ever again so its not a comparable situation.

Thanks for that.

You completely missed the forest for the trees, some people (like minors/children) are inherently vulnerable, but now thanks to our democratically elected govt.s housing policy - everyone under 35 is.

Oh and about demanding sexc from tenants LOL, you have it backward. I now get propositioned. I wish I was making that up, people are more desperate now than I've ever seen and Ive been managing the property since 2011!!

Would it not be better if that law didn't exist? The HAP payment system is so famously bad every couple of months it goes on Joe Duffy, same points made every time.

I don't know enough about the HAP system to really discuss it.

However an anti-discriminatory law though is never a bad thing. I'm sure there have been some dodgy LL's who have openly rejected someone for some other discriminatory reasons and without this law there would be no chance of a complaint being raised against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Id say most landlords would be only too happy if HAP was cancelled, but only if they are allowed to have theor property back and rent it to someone who can pay the rent themselves. Any landlords ive ever spoken to dont want to be renting to HAP tenants at all.

Again I'm not complaining, Im pointing out that a house nearly 40 years old (mortgage already fully paid btw) is now selling for a 30 year mortgage AND its still a better buy than many new builds at its price class.

I would also note that at no point when it was bought did my parents think this would be the state of affairs, it was bought as a secondary revenue stream to be given to their children as a home to live in when the time was right.

Compare that to my girlfriends renting a room in an owner occupied house where the **** landlady lets it out with more restrictive rules than a dickensian orphanage and she sure as **** isn't tax compliant.

Owner occupied could be rent a room relief, no tax due.

You can always report her to Revenue though if you want.

She isnt RTB registered and advertises on facebook to english language students.

Absolute slumlord that split the house with all the working stuff on one half and the other given to FOUR people with 1 dodgy toilet between them and selective hours on kitchen use. 1 shelf on a fridge freezer and no space in the freezer. No friends allowed ever. Just stay in your box room and rent is cash only.

And yes I can report her, but this situation should have never arisen and I sure as **** dont get paid a bounty for being a good citizen and then waiting a few years down the line to see the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

She doesn’t have to register with the RTB if the owner lives in the house, your girlfriend is a licensee, not a tenant.

Wow it's worrying that you are a landlord, you haven't a clue. That lady has no obligation to register with the RTB.

Would your girlfriend not live with you or in one of your rental properties? It could solve several problems for you.

• Advertisement

She rented the entire house out before while she was abroad. The tenants were tenants and not licensees and therefore she should have been RTB registered.

And my girlfriend is foreign so rented the place before meeting me. She stays with me about half the week, but we aren't long term so it would be foolish to cancel a lease as if we were to break up shed be screwed trying to get a place.

About a decade ago most of my tinder dates were Au Pairs desperate to escape their indentured servitude under well heeled families that made damn sure "the help" couldnt have a social life under their roof. Things have not gotten better since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Thats called a bad Tennant, the poster your quoting is talking about a good Tennant which is the majority of renters. Or maybe you don't understand what normal wear and tear is

• Registered Users Posts: 15,960 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Because they're the wrong sort of people and EU won't pat them on the head for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,960 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Much tears and humblebrag from the poor auld Irish landlord. Owning property is such an awful burden. In the words of Pee Flynn, you should try it sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Begrudgery is something we Irish excel at. People want, demand even, lower rents, more rental properties, they just either don’t want someone else to benefit from it, or, want to listen to the reasons why it isn’t an appealing investment anymore.
    You would think that enticing more people to invest in rental properties would be the way to go.

Go figure. It’s one of the many reasons I have little sympathy for the mollycoddled snowflakes of today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Got nothing to do with begrudgery. That tired old trope used to shut down criticism of lazy landlords who are upset they aren't getting more of other people's money has been done to death.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They might not individually want to rent to a HAP tenant, but they sure as hell want there to be other HAP tenants pushing up rents.

Remove HAP tomorrow and all rents drop. Even for non-HAP completely private renters. What is the mad statistic - isn't it something like 50% of all renters get some form of social contribution towards their rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I think the problem is that everyone thinks that what is good for them personally is good for the country even though everyone is unique in their goals and requirements.

So, someone looking to buy a house in an area will think it is bad not merely for them but for society when a landlord funds the building of rental units. They forget that renters might be depending on the building of those properties.

Conversely, landlords might complain because of perceived onerous rules and taxes and threaten to leave the market. They forget that by their ownership they are blocking the purchase of that flat by a family. They see their continued ownership as beneficial to society whereas that might not be the case.

The reality is, as someone said earlier, we are not building enough generally. This is the only problem that needs to be solved. But the Government prefers moving around the deckchairs, pitting one group against the other, than solving the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 shimadzu

Its a little bit hypocritical don't you think, a person with an interest in farming giving out about state subsidies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I disagree. I think we can clearly highlight the absurd cost of living nowadays and show how disastrous it will be in demographic terms unless something is done. It's particularly punishing for single people.

No government's going to do anything until the last possible minute because it doesn't want to rile the middle classes, the NIMBYs and pensioners. In fairness, I can that the argument for lowering property prices, if implemented via more construction, would push a lot of people into negative equity which would be unfair to a lot of people who spent many years scrimping and saving to get on the ladder.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement