Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI in app notification ,I need newer than Android 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

Given that Virgin just emailed me and said they're putting prices up, I've figured I can drop Virgin (now 70 quid/month just for BB? Yeah right), buy a new phone and whatever add ons for 5G, using my phone as a hotspot (it's just me) and still be a good bit better off.

Now... about that Xiaomi Redmi Note 12... 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭amandstu

Does it have to be a 5g phone?

I have an old 4g Galaxy J3 and a nearby mast in line of site with very few "sharers".

We pay 40eu a month here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Just seen this elsewhere if your phone wont update.

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch. If your device is running on one of these older operating systems, and you do not update the device by 31 March, the existing version of the BoI app that you use today will not be supported should you have an issue. If you are unable to update your device we can order you a PSK. A Physical Security Key (PSK), a device unique to you which generates a code to enter into 365 online when prompted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭jj880

If you like a nice camera get the redmi. If you dont care about camera so much get a poco.

Great phones. We all have redmis and pocos in our house. Hard to beat them for value.

Just rang my local branch and ordered a psk device and will have it within 1 week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

Thanks for the tip.

Does it need to be a local branch, or can I order it from Banking 365 call centre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

For my purposes I get reasonable bandwidth on 4G (until the school next door lets out and then it goes to hell as every kid checks their Tiktok or what have you). I suppose 5G would be faster assuming your mast supports it. If you're happy with 4G then a 5G phone might not be worth it for you.

So I rang BOI 365 about a PSK device. Spoke to a nice helpful lady in the security division.

She told me:

My BOI app will continue to work.after 31 March, even though my phone is Android 9.

I will be able to access my accounts & transfer money, pall bills as normal via my phone and laptop.

My phone will continue to be my security device to log onto my laptop.

If I book a flight, hire a car, or purchase online, and the sellers requires security swipe via my phone, I will still be able to do this.

My phone as Android 9 will NOT recieve BOI software updates after 31 March.

If I remove the app from my phone, I will NOT be able to install it again on my Adroid 9.

If I order a psk, the device will be my security verification. Not my phone anymore. That is, instead of swiping the phone, i will have to enter the code the psk gives me.

If I order a psk device say today, they deactivate my phone as being the primary security as of today. Then when the psk arrives 5-7 working days, I will use it instead of phone swipe. This means from the day you order it, until it arrives, you cant access your online banking as your phone swipw doesnt work.

For now, i will wait and see how my Android 9 works in the first week of April. If i have issues, i will order a psk, and accept that I have no access to my online banking for 7 working days.

Am I confident I will be able to access my accounts & perform.phone swipe for purchases come the 1st April ? I'm not fully confident. But at least knowing I can order a psk device, takes the pressure off having to change phones right now.

I just wish BOI would put all the information and risks on their website, and direct customers to this information.

Call centre might do it as they will ask security questions as normal so have your details to hand.

When they order you the device they remove your phone off the plan so phone cannot do things like before just to warn you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭amandstu

Thanks for relaying that.

Actually ,I had also worked out that the main issue might be that we will not be able to reinstall the app whenever we need to when April comes (thanks Paul Simon ;-)

As someone noted above ,security of our bank accounts and devices that access them should be our first priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thought about ordering a PSK, but then thinking I could probably do with a backup phone as if anything happened my current one (running Android 10) I'd have no access to banking and some work systems. So ordered a relatively cheap Galaxy A15 which will be supported up to Android version 18 with future upgrades.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the PSK becomes your security device, how you do authorise online purchases using your BoI credit card - does your phone continue to fulfull that function or do you get a code on the browser window to enter into the PSK device?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I was DMing them on twitter the other day and it took 4 replies before they said the above! I've been meaning to upgrade anyway so its time to take my sons old phone which is still 3 years newer than mine 😅

I plan to upgrade in the coming months or by end of the year. But just glad not to be under pressure to do it within a week. Vodafone already told me they are out of stock on the S24+ which is what woukd replace what I have now.

RE psk device, I presume vendor site will prompt for you to enter the psk code, instead of the swipe. A you tube tutorial wouod be handy right.

Your phone is out of that equation as when ordering your new device will take over to receive the code.

I believe that code is then entered into your account portal to finalize the transaction your on to approve payment.

They tell you once your phone is removed they can proceed to order your new device 5 working days

NOTE TO ALL WHO ORDER THE NEW DEVICE WILL ALSO BE LOCKED OUT OF ACCOUNT UNTIL DEVICE IS SETUP.

I found that after on my desktop when i went to log in they asked had i received my PSK and had to say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

You can absolutely use banking apps on an alternative ROM

Im using a Xiaomi Mi 8 thats 6 years old running Lineage OS 21 (Android 14) that runs Revolut, N26, Google Wallet etc.

There are a few steps to take to achieve this, which can all be found over at the XDA forum.

You just need to unlock your bootloader, flash a custom recovery, flash a custom ROM of your choice, flash Magisk to root and then you need to flash this module via Magisk

Once that's done, you need to enable Zygisk inside Magisk and turn on "enforce deny list".

All the instructions you need are over on XDA.

Sounds complicated but its very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Can you not download an upgrade so that the app works ?

That's what I was hoping to do as in a similar situation with Huaweii Honor Lite .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Most manufacturers push out updates. If your phone or tablet is on Android 10 or earlier, you've been abandoned by the manufacturer. You can always try for an update but unless you've been ignoring multiple 'Software update is ready to download' messages for the past 3-4 years, you're version is almost certainly parked/stabilised and is going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No am up with all the updates .

So am screwed so :)

Ho hum new phone shopping this week . I just hate new tech!

How bad is it that we now have to buy new/er phones to do our banking ?

I was quite happy going to my local bank or atm and getting my bank statements by post but now I and thousands of other older people have to suck it up while paying BoI for the privilege, no local bank or atm and everything online .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I didn't receive any message on the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,296 ✭✭✭jmcc

It was a push notification rather than a message in the app. This whole thing has been very badly managed by BOI.

Regards...jmcc

Read posts 48 and 49 again.

I received a notification on Android 10

my cousin did not and unknown version of phone..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭mosstin

Got tired of everything to do with BOI years ago and went to N26. Superb service. Not possible for everyone but a brilliant fit for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There was some sort of update today when I accessed the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

Or you can upgrade the operating system on your phone totally free.

If your phone doesn't have that ability, then they are not "perfectly good" phones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Would be very fiddly for anyone with arthritis or parkinson's

• Advertisement

Advertisement