Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI in app notification ,I need newer than Android 10

Options
  • 19-03-2024 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭

So just got this notification.

Heh BOI, my phone is running Android 14

Maybe you should update something your side?

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Yes I got the same, running Android 14 as well. I assume they are just making it a push all notification, easier for them and I suppose covers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

I would think that it would normal to inform people more than 11 days in advance that you'd be unsupporting Android 10. I've worked in IT for decades and I've never ever seen this kind of disdain for customers.

Hey BOI, how about using this email thing to write an explanation instead of freaking everyone out that their app is going to drop dead in a week? Can you imagine what their support lines look like right now? Must be panic stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What's being omitted in the posts above is that BoI are sending a notification to all Android users who have their mobile app installed which suggests that the app will no longer work from March 31st because your device is not running Android 11 or higher. You get the same message, regardless of which version of Android is installed on your device.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I deleted the app and reinstalled it. Does it mean I'll need a new phone too? App is working fine now

Well I suppose if it works now is no guarantee that it will work later. You can check your Android version in Settings/About Phone.

Mine is Huawei P30 Lite so that doesn't help me - it's "EMUI 12". Which is likely Android 10. Which may mean it's not going to work for me. Bother. I should probably root it and update it eventually (assuming that's even possible), solely from a security point of view, but I ain't doing it in 11 days for BOI to work. It's a 2.5 year old phone ffs.

One option is to use an Android tablet or iPad. Or to get a PSK device from BOI and use it on a laptop. The problem with that route is that BOI rigged the app so that if your first added security device is the phone, then you can't add a PSK afterwards. You have to do the PSK before ever installing the app. Which means if you order a PSK, the app is disabled straight away while you wait 10 days for your PSK. Which is convenient.

• Advertisement

If you're having an issue with the BoI app, the first thing you should do is to clear the cache. That will fix most problems.

Press and hold your finger or thumb on the app icon, tap the circled lower case 'i' in the upper right corner of the popup menu. That takes you to the 'App info' screen. Scroll down to and tap 'Storage' and then tap the 'Clear Cache' option in the bottom right corner of the screeen. That works most of the time and saves you the setup you have to go through if you uninstall/reinstall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is the PSK device that daft tiny numberpad thing they sent my 85 year old arthritic mother? Takes God knows how many entries of codes and long series of numbers to get anywhere. I would really love to meet what 20 something thought that would be a great idea.

That's the one. I didn't find it too bad but then I'm an engineer so I'm not a good example. I suppose they could have made it bigger. I don't know what the alternatives are myself - what other banks do.

I ordered one anyway using the website and I got a text 30 mins later saying nope, you'll have to call us. I see they're efficient at saying no.

My company has a small BOI branch inside it (it's a big company); they said they'd had a bunch of people asking already and it was only 1pm. In a tech company. That bodes well for their customer service lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 PuterMan

So I am going to have to spend about €450 to replace 2 perfectly good phones just because BOI decides to upgrade their software? Perhaps BOI should pay me to get the new phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I wouldn't bet on being able to use a bank app with an 'alternative' android ROM for your phone.

I'm with a different bank but had an older phone I loaded LineageOS onto to keep getting android updates.

It worked great for a year or two with app, OS and security updates until one bank app update decided using LineageOS implied the phone was rooted and the bank app refused to run under LineageOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I checked my phone and found out its Android 10 so i might be screwed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭amandstu

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭minibear

My Huawei is running 8.2 and it says it is up to date. The phone runs fine and I've no intention of changing it. But am I now expected to change it just because of the BOI app? I frequently need to verify online payments using the app. Can you verify if you use the BOI website?

I agree with an above post regarding how they must view their customers, giving less than a fortnight notice. But it doesn't surprise me either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well do you expect BOI to not bother improving security etc for everyone just because a small number of customers are not up to date? And how much would other customers be will to pay so that this could be done. Running multiple versions of back ends and front ends would dramatically up. the cost of services no custom wants to pay for in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭well24

No, but as most posters stated, a heads up months in advance would be better customer service...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Its not that small a number of people, one friend has a two year old phone that out of date, it is a Chinese brand phone. Another friend showed me his phone yesterday, it is an older phone that works perfectly. Not everyone can afford to upgrade their phones every two years. I advised them both to look into switching banks instead of phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,905 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭jj880

For my phone (android 13) its:

Settings => About Phone => Android Version

That's a point actually. My brother rooted his phone with Lineage but he says BOI is working ok. At the moment. I looked at various tutorials to root a P30 and install TWRP and I lost the will to live 🙂

I have the ability to log in on my PC right now and I spend 8 hours a day in front of the thing anyway. If that could continue, that would do for the moment but without the app to confirm the log in, I'd have to get a PSK. Which is just so annoying. It's all just fine until you need to pay for something with a CC and then you're stuffed.

On a Samsung it's: Settings/About Phone/Software Information

• Advertisement

Yes ,I got it.(it is 9)Can I still check my account on the website?

Not sure what I use the app for since they stopped the mobile top up facility.

I wonder what would be the cheapest phone you could get to satisfy the new Android version requirement.

I think I saw one for 180 at the vodafone shop...

Live a little and try for this. https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/xiaomi/redmi-note-12-pro-5g.html?gallery=payg&productClass=SmartPhone&fg=true

You can get an eir sim for 10 euro and pretend you are "switching" to vodafone to get it for 200. Then put your own SIM into it. Xiaomi phones are all unlocked these days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The problem with all this stuff is that you have three elements that don't mix:

• Clients that don't want to pay for the service
    • Management that don't want to invest in a loss maker
    • And IT who believe that contrary to their experience they can do everything in a short time

Many many moons ago when I was a kid we used to go into the shop and as what we could by for an old penny... at that is what happens today - management picks a figure they are will to invest and asks what they can get for that and IT over promises and fails to deliver. And of course the failure is only recognised towards the end and so testing get the chop and the clients are left to do the testing, with no budget available to do the fixes.

There is no doubt in my mind that with less capable technology back in the 90s we delivered a better service. But I have no idea who we get back there...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭markest

I have a Moto G phone that works fine. 3 years old but in Android 10. So may have to change once BOI app stops working.

Also have a new Lenovo tablet with Android 13 but am unable to download BOI app from Google Play store, states it is not compatible.

How clever is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

I have Samsung S8+, spent €1,000 on it in 2018. Android version 9.

Working perfect, very happy with it, good battery. But as said above, my BOI app wont work come 1st April. And i use it weekly for bank transfers as i have my own business.

I'm so tempted to move all my accounts to AIB to make a point.

Contacted vodafone today to upgrade to a similar phone S24+, out of stock in all local stores, will take weeks to get them, if they can get any.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I wouldn't think it's wise to be using such on out of date operating system for banking. There likely hasn't been a security update in at least 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭StevenToast

*****...im andoid 9....

Have samsung s8 and happy with it...

Do i have to buy a new phone now?!!!

Post edited by Jim2007 on

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Good Amazon offer on Xiaomi X5:

6gb/128gb £151

8gb/256gb £168