Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI in app notification ,I need newer than Android 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Changed phones over the weekend, there is a 4 hour wait for BOI to approve a new device, so if you do swap make sure you do all your banking first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's horrendous. Those getting a PSK, I would be very interested in what they think of the procedure should they try to send money to another account.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Thanks Juran. Very good and helpful post.

I am going to leave mine for the moment as one of my lads is going to giving me a newer phone that he doesn't need and I can move everything over then.

Totally agree that BoI should have made all the info available as it is a big deal for older people changing over apps and tech.

But in fairness I find when I ring the customer service they are usually very good at talking you through stuff. Except one time!

We are paying charges now and BoI doing well out of a lot of people so they should be doing more to help.

Update..bloody app stopped working for me this evening :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭jmcc

Have you tried closing any other apps that are open? Sometimes, it becomes a bit sluggish when a lot of other apps are open.

Regards...jmcc

Thanks.... ended up having to get someone else to pay for my online shopping earlier!

Will give it a try before I ring 365 tomorrow .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did you try a close \ force stop and re-open?

I find it can get stuck after approving a transaction.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're getting nowhere and are tempted to uninstall/reinstall, clear the cache first and see if that fixes the problem. See post #7.

Thanks. Got it working today again by closing everything and clearing cache.

Hopefully will last to Sunday now at least.

Have been on to 365....

Unless you can upgrade your phone to Android 11 or use a Personal Security Key neither of which I can do / want to do, you are obliged to upload to a tablet or get a new phone.

They said definitively that the app would not work at all from Sunday?

A PSK or tablet option would be OK for people who just use the app at home but I would often be using it on the move so need it on my phone.

Also PSK wouldn't be arriving for a good few days anyway. So bit late.

So a new phone for me. 😐

I have registered an official complaint about the amount of notice given to people (it was only 8 working days with the holidays) and the fact that this is a major holiday weekend that the app is changing over.

I am sure there are many people older than myself, who will find this a big problem, with not only reduced access to local branches but also on a weekend with 2 bank holidays!

Who thought this was ok and gave it the go ahead with that sort of notice?

It is very poor and shows lack of care for their pretty loyal customers.

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest can you talk me through this or tell me where I can find the info?

Might give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I guarantee there are thousands of people who have no idea whats coming down the road....

I am going to take the "wait and see" option....

I predict a Big PR disaster for BOI.....public apology etc...and a kicking of the can down the road....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

I was onto vodafone, both call centre and in the shop. Both told me that I cant upgrade android 9 or 10 to a newer version.

I am going to order a psk tomorrow. I now dont trust the app will work in 1st April. I dont need to do transactions for a few weeks, and I can use my other halfs AIB credit card if I really need to.

Its all a total balls. At least 6 months notice should have been given.

Seems to be some contradictory information floating about with one version being that the app wouldn't get updates after Sunday and another that the app would stop working after Sunday.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Wouldn’t be the first time that a call centre gave out contradictory info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would be thinking the new app wont load or work on older system is why they warned everybody a Very Very short while ago.

The old app will be switched off as you will need the new app to download to your Android 11 or higher to work.

Fun times ahead for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Definitely handled very badly from BOI.

My phone has Android 13 and I never got a notification about this - I guess because it wouldn't affect me? Only found out about it through this thread.

A change like this should have been communicated either via email or sms/text message.

Many people who ordered PSK will not have received it by Sunday.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭jj880

Glad I went to EBS when UB left. Still no transaction charges or monthly fees on their current account.

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Received my small thin unit this morning as was ordered last Friday.

You need to be at pc when setting up device as i had error coming up on screen.

You get a Booklet and A4 leaflet to follow.

The reason i got stuck was it needed my new pin ENTERED TWICE WHEN CONFIRM COMES ON SCREEN then opt and follow instructions.

I did have to ring BOI 0818200362 as on their letter and went through the steps again.

So now i can log into my account again and do transactions.

Might help some if others get stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

I rang BOI today to.order my psk.

I told the guy i was told by BOI last week that my online app would work.after 31 March with Android 9. He told me that completely incorrect and she must not have been fully informed ny her team lead.

Anyways, ordered now, so hope set up goes smooth.

Cheers for all the tips from everyone !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The lockout for older versions of Android postponed until July 1st following a backlash according to the Indo.

And that is contradicted again by the above Indo article about it being deferred until 1st July:

The bank said this does not mean that affected customers will need to buy a new phone to use its app. After July, customer phones and tablets will still have access to the app and customers will still be able to use the app. However, any device that is still using an old operating system (OS 14 or lower for Apple devices and OS 10 or lower for Android), will not be able to update to any later versions of its mobile app. The bank said this means these customers will not have access to new features or improvements and over time, access to existing features will also be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/bank-of-ireland-gives-customers-more-time-to-update-phones-for-mobile-banking/a1745664511.html

According to Charlie Weston of the Indo, the "upgrade" has been postponed until July 1. Because of the backlash and the appallingly short notice.

This is the Indo article:

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/bank-of-ireland-gives-customers-more-time-to-update-phones-for-mobile-banking/a1745664511.html

It seems to have been bumped up to one its main business journalists too.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Just as i predicted yesterday.....

Can kicked down the road.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

One of my elderly relatives has an ancient phone (think the max IOS is 12 or something) but they do have access to a laptop. Presume an alternative for them is to log in to 365 Online via that?

Thought you needed the app or PSK for multi factor login authentication and also approval of online purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

They currently log in via the app using selected digits from their PIN. Don't buy stuff online, just use app for checking balances and transferring funds between accounts and to family.

• Advertisement

No without a working phone to swipe to allow access you cannot enter via the app on pc as i tried and had to wait for my new PSK to arrive to gain entry. They might have held off for another few months to allow people to get things sorted.

I should have added just to check your account these are what will happen in the future.

Advertisement