Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well before time and pretty specific. I feel they've a good handle on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭aidanodr

So Thunderstorm warning issued for Cork, Limerick and Clare from 3pm to 8pm. AND I just remembered - BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN is playing in Pairc Ui Caoimh this evening starting at 7pm ( no support ).

I wonder could this concert get deferred to later start / cancelled? Thunderstorms, Electrics????

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Even with the warning, the chances of a thunderstorm being directly overhead at 7pm is very low. A yellow warning is only a take notice. At worst a big downpour with a flash or two.

No need to jump the gun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Deub

What are the chances for hail?

If any, where is it mostly going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

Some decent convection building now in many inland areas. Showers should become visible on radar soon. I'd say there'll be some biggies around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

I reckon there could be some hail in the heavier showers today. As to where, wherever the heaviest showers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Heavy convective showers forecast for Dublin tonight with possibility of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭The Macho Man

Been a beautiful clear morning here in Portarlington but the dark heavies are starting to build!

Clouds coming in over Cork harbour ( Cobh in distance 3rd pic, left of boats ) seems to be from North. Pics taken when i was down in weavers pt ( 15 mins from me ) for lunch walk ( 2nd pic ) :D .. Could we say they are Thunder Clouds??

Met eireann have updated the Thunderstorm warning - Its now for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Monaghan, Clare, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford, Leitrim, Roscommon

Heavy Downpours with Thunderstorms and Hail

Valid: 15:00 to 20:00 Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Thunder and lightning just West of Galway city from a friend .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭eagerv

I am west Co Wexford. Very dark west of me, with some nice buildups. A few rumbles seem to be from Mullinavat area, towards Waterford.

The CBs seem to be staying just inside that eastern border of the latest Yellow warning..😋

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

….

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Torrential rain and thunder down in Carlow town in the last 45 minutes, bone dry back home just over the border in South Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kaboom, waterford city the last 30mins or so, torrential rain, some flooding around apparently….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Can hear distant thunder here in carrick , still fairly warm out too

Looks to be something tracking to Galway from the East heard distant thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

very distant rumbles here, nice looking echo north of waterford, kilkenny/wexford border…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,350 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Really nice cell over north athlone at the minute. Firing every minute or so. Rain is pelting down, big hail too. I'm parked at the Hodson bay at the minute and it's right over head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks like Cork could get walloped in about 30mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,350 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

2 absolutely massive cloud to ground strikes near Lecarrow, north of athlone. Wish I wasn't driving for them and could have recorded. And the sound of them....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I can see it here from the north side. It’s absolutely gorgeous from afar.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Pelting down and frequent heavy thunder - South Galway / Clare border

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Still firing away in Cork, fairly active day, some fine big convection showing up in Satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Cork2021

funny how it never travelled through North Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

There is now near Mallow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks like avoiding the city and staying out West!! Very little reports, I'd say it must be mainly high up lightning or else nobody in West Cork follows weather on here!!

Same here in Galway stayed to the East and went South

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jesus mad seeing how many strikes there are in West Cork, yet MÉ have removed the warning and put one for the East Coast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭pureza

Thats a rain warning though,it is pretty wet here now in East wicklow anyway,and the lightning activity in cork has all but died out as the weather from the East is chasing it away

Advertisement