Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭briany

One of the cracks in north Dub sounded like a bomb going off at a moderate distance, i.e. a sharper more intense burst of noise, as opposed to the low rolling rumble I'm more used to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fairly active day, the ADT below is tuned more to CG's whereas Blitzortung picks up a lot of the cloud to cloud as well as CG's.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭prosaic

Are there any local weather stations near Carpenterstown (D15) that recorded rainfall yesterday? There was a downpour around 4pm, lasting about an hour, and I'd like to know what the total was for that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Small chance of a thunderstorm in Clare or Galway this afternoon early evening, possibly along those coasts also, chances are low and very isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Advertisement

Plenty of rumbles to the West of Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭The Macho Man

MetÉireann rainfall radar showing a few sparks around Galway City currently. G

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Thunderstorm warning in place for Galway until 8pm

Models showing heavy convective showers tomorrow courtesy of the circulation of LP to the South feeding in bands of rain and showers and a thunderstorm risk mainly in Munster but maybe straying into Connaught and possibly parts of midlands but a lower risk there I would think. Some models showing it quite active in Munster. Low level shear and convergence zones with a negatively tilted upper trough aiding instability and vorticity. Could see a shot of activity along the Kerry /Cork border perhaps being aided by orographic lift and converging winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some thunderstorms in Munster and Connaught now

• Advertisement

Thunderstorm warning for clare has been issued till 9pm wouldn't be surprised if more counties were added

Look to be moving towards Galway heard distant rumble over the Bay

Shannon Airport reporting a thunderstorm at 5pm

EINN 141600Z 19001KT 9999 -TSSHRA FEW015 SCT018CB BKN070 13/10 Q0995 TEMPO SHRA

5pm

Some sparks in mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Clare, Galway, Mayo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy showers with thunderstorms.

Possible impacts:

• Hazardous travelling conditions
    • Localised flooding

Valid: 18:07 Tuesday 14/05/2024 to 21:00 Tuesday 14/05/2024

Issued: 18:07 Tuesday 14/05/2024

A small chance of a thunderstorm tomorrow mostly in the SW perhaps and Thurs looks active and more widespread potential across the country with good sunshine levels giving decent CAPE, temperatures getting up to the high teens and over 20C in a good area in central Ireland, decent Theta E readings giving plenty of moisture in the atmosphere and decent enough DLS. Will need to keep an eye on Thurs as has to look for a few days now of being quite active and could produce warnings.

Todays detected sferics.

Whole northwest ,west and southwest coast is in a yellow thunderstorm warning from 3 till 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for

Clare, Kerry, Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Localised thunderstorms with heavy downpours.

Potential Impacts:

• Spot Flooding
    • Difficult travelling conditions
    • Poor visibility

Valid: 15:00 Wednesday 15/05/2024 to 21:00 Wednesday 15/05/2024

Issued: 10:40 Wednesday 15/05/2024

There was one dark cloud over Galway ME showed lightning but I heard no thunder beautiful warm evening with scattered cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Heard the thunder myself. Big dark cloud. Dry here in Ballybrit though.

Thunderstorm here just east of Castlebar. Fairly loud to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

UK Met Office is forecasting some very heavy showers in most inland areas of Ireland for tomorrow.

Pretty active storm in Roundstone Connemara

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Few claps off thunder now next to knock Airport

I'd say more thunderstorm warnings will be issued for Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Thunderstorm warning issued for Cork, Limerick and Clare from 3pm to 8pm.

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1791030163959947369/photo/1

Advertisement