Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

A big flash in Lucan, but didn't hear any thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks fairly distant in that video. I'm in bed in Trim now but with the window and curtains wide open. Not a sound to be heard and no lightening of the sky from lightning to be seen. Up early in the morning so happy that it may stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

A few big flashes and rumbles in Blanch around 15 minutes ago. Has died down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes probably one of the Meath sparks, the video was facing west towards them.

• Advertisement

Looks like it was just a short lived thundery shower over north Dublin/South Meath which was noticed by many people because it happened during darkness. Had it been daytime, we'd likely have fewer reports.

Interesting synoptics though, especially considering the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Maybe it may reach carrick its so mild here , my weather station showing 13c with 83% humidity

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It was very unexpected, particularly here in Meath were we rarely ever get thunder during the day never mind the night time. I've been years here saying we never get thunder and lightning in Meath but last May finally delivered the goods and we had quite a few half decent thunderstorms but they were all during the day. Tonight while no more than 5 to 10 minutes was special because I can't even remember the last time I saw proper lightning at night, it must be well over a decade ago. Perhaps the Thunder Gods got tired of all my moaning and have delivered a pair of Mays back to back with thunder and lightning!

I have a feeling there will be more in store particularly the second half of May once we get the high pressure out of the way next week which could be short lived, after that things are likely to stay warm but volatile, could be a repeat of last May.

Another thing I have noticed over the past few years apart from what seems like an increased chance of thunder and lightning in Ireland is the heat spikes/plumes of recent summers which used to primarily only affect the UK, they have started happening here too so will be interesting to see if we'll see a few heat spikes this summer and I have a feeling we will.

Delighted to hear the news of your fleeting light show - they're always far better when you're not expecting it.

I've similar thoughts to yourself regarding the coming months. Last June was amazing for thunderstorms (day and night for about a week) near my home home in Longford…..the same was the case for many inland areas.

My gut feeling (and it's only that, based on experience, analysis of historical data and recent trends) is that this summer will be quite mixed but I think there'll be a bit more hot and sunny high pressure conditions to be had at times but also interspersed with periods of thundery weather (similar to last June) but I do feel that there will be some strong or severe thunderstorms during the summer; I reckon there may some notable storms to be had. The high level thunderstorms associated with Spanish plumes that occurred a lot last summer are likely to be seen a lot this summer again, perhaps even moreso, due to the much much warmer than average seas (will mentioned that a bit further on in this post).

I also feel that the all time temperature record of  33.3 °C at Kilkenny Castle, on 26 June 1887 could be breached this summer. It was so close to happening last year…….and more notably it was Dublin (Phoenix Park) where the record came close to being broken.

We've had another exceptionally warm winter season. We're surrounded by ever increasingly warm waters. Last year the North Atlantic was the warmest on record by quite a considerable margin and to date this year, it has been consistently warmer than last years record breaking year, by a considerable margin, most of the time.

Here's hoping we beat our record temperature of 33.3c this summer , even 35c I'd settle for

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Agree with you across the board highdef. I think thunderstorms will be a feature this summer with possibly a couple of notable storms from Spanish plume type parameters advecting up over us in the form of warm moist unstable air and embedded troughs. Quite possible going to see some very heavy localised convective rainfall leading to flash flooding at times . Of course we will also see some homegrown storms bubbling up during the warmer days with the right parameters in the atmosphere aided by convergence zones and topographical lift.

I feel that the temperature record could be tested again this year with the trend for warmer temperatures year on year continuing. A mixed summer would be my guess also, warm to hot spells, thundery breakdowns, some big moisture being pulled up from the tropics leading to wet or very wet spells at times and the usual summer fare. I would think the summer will lean towards being warm with very warm seas. I think we will get at least a few warm dry spells of a number of days or a week or so duration. I can see myself storm chasing in Cork or Waterford late Spring or during the Summer as the storms approach from the south and power up over the warm landmass and travel up the country. Determined to get some good footage this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sunday looking interesting for thunderstorm development. Warm temperatures getting into the 20's, increasing high Dp's maybe into the mid teens so getting sticky, high Theta E readings with unstable decaying occluded fronts and troughs perhaps, probably a bit of Deep Layer Shear and lighter lower airs but some convergence zones perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Early thunderstorm warning for Sunday

Yellow - Thunderstorm Warning for Armagh, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

Many areas will miss the heaviest showers altogether, but a few places could see 30-40 mm in the space of an hour or two, possibly accompanied by some hail. Should they develop, the showers are likely to fade and die out during the evening.

Fingers crossed 🤞 we get added into a thunderstorm warning ⚠️ on Sunday

The warmer Eastern half of the country favours more the development of thunderstorms tomorrow especially in the NE, E coastal counties where convergence zones will set up as weather spreads in from the West during the afternoon in the form of a decaying cold front, showers and trough. The upper trough goes negative in the afternoon I reckon. A nice convergence zone through Northern Ireland could be productive.

With enough time for temperatures to build and a decent amount of instability from Deep Layer shear and lower breezes should give convection enough fuel to mature throughout the afternoon , not widespread and more likely sporadic but a few lively storms perhaps. Dublin, Kildare , Meath, Louth, Cavan, Monaghan all with a chance of some activity I would think.

Possibly see warnings for the E along with Northern Ireland which has been issued for a couple of days. Locally heavy downpours leading to spot flooding, a few of the bigger convective clouds could produce hail. Funnels possible and wouldn't rule out a tornado .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Have we any chance of sparks in the West tomorrow Meteorite58

Low chance, perhaps more possibility in the NW aided by Orographic lift, temps down a bit tomorrow in the Western half of the country, all areas going back a good bit tomorrow evening /night.

https://www.estofex.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭esposito

Interesting afternoon ahead for the east and north. Will we get some big thunderstorms or will it be a bust.

Nice bit of CAPE available today, some localised very heavy rainfall with hail with the chance of spot flooding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like it's kicking off in Tyrone and Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Beautiful morning.

Much different sky now.

Blast of thunder there.

23⁰ Meath

A lot of activity to the east of me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Quite the blooming of storms there now. Hoping we'll get a taste in D4 in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Sparks, rolling thunder, heavy ŕain All of it....

22⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

had a bit of thunder and lightning here near trim, power flicked…. It’s more to northeast of us though, thankfully no rain!

Plenty of strikes

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭pureza

Convection is building north of me on the south end of the wicklow mountains fed by the sea breeze

This should fire up as the front mixes in and is likely to be aiming for South Dublin later

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭The Macho Man

Looks like nothing will kick off West of Dublin/Meath/Cavan. Looking at the line of storms currently, its just one dead straight line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Heavy rain in central Dublin. UK should produce some nice images and videos today.

Advertisement