Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

any idea what this cloud is? It's like. A long cigar over north Kerry.

@Meteorite58 did you see this over the northern coast this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Had a feeling it was from a thunderstorm, here's the description....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Unfortunately west Corrk and parts of Kerry got a right drubbing after last evenings storms - major flash floods as per vids below

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The warm temperatures and high Dew Point along with subtle convergence will aid convection leading to some heavy showers in the afternoon especially in the Midlands, might give some thunderstorms but upper shear is slack so possibly short lived and isolated if they do occur.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

No sferics showing up or reported, a narrow band of heavy rain all right.

• Advertisement

Didn't see that SouthWesterly but maybe like what Dazler97 posted above?

Fair bit of CAPE developing tomorrow in the Southern counties and Midlands, pronounced convergence zone along Southern counties from land and sea breeze, some heavy showers and thunderstorms possible, will see the charts later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Sorry I posted it before you got a chance to so I apologise meteorite58

Warnings already in place for tomorrow wouldn't be surprised if another 1 or 2 where added , going by models Kerry , Clare and Limerick could be added

• Advertisement

Good levels of sunshine getting up to the high teens and over 20C in places, DP's high in the South getting up to 16C so probably feeling humid there but aiding convection growth, decent deep layer and lower level Shear over the counties highlighted in the warnings and a pronounced convergence zone as can be seen in the map below, high THETA E readings so plenty of moisture in the atmosphere , PWAT of 22mm showing up in the soundings so heavy downpours are possible with spot flooding and if some convection grows enough hail is possible and with that kind of shear maybe some funnels or a tornado. ECM is showing the possibility of a few lively storms especially over Carlow, Killkenny, Waterford, South Tipp and Cork, Wexford might see some activity too. Some of those downpours could give some short lived blustery conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭pureza

17c already here on the SE coast,there'll probably be a convergence zone from west wicklow down through mount Leinster into west waterford?

As I thought,convergence zone getting going now ,advanced over the Wicklow mountains,which I can see from Arklow and stretching down to Mt Leinster in Carlow and west wexford,this will be interesting to see if and how it develops further ?

Yes getting going now, both AROME and ECM showing some big cells forming and possibly maturing through Waterford an its track through Cork, models showing heavy hail /rain a possibility, could be very active cells kept alive by the convergence zone and will see if daughter cells appear off them. Has the look of causing damage in some form either from lightning or hail or spot flooding and wouldn't rule out a tornado. Dazzler might be right in that it could quickly go Orange warning level. Storms could creep up into Limerick also and maybe the fringes of East Kerry.

I would think looking at kicking off in the next hour or so in Wexford /Carlow/ Killkenny or Waterford and spreading West through Southern Tipperary through Cork and into Limerick perhaps and maybe East Kerry.

Due west towards Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭aidanodr

So @Meteorite58 .. We in Carrigaline, co. cork. At mo sitting out back in lovely sunshine. Clothes out drying etc. When APPROX should we be pre-empting a move inside and bring the clothes in etc .. Dont want to get caught :D .. thanks

Towards the Wicklow mountains again,growing bigger as I type

These are all building and heading SSW into the warning area

Another

WRF showing similar track and very decent MUCAPE and decent ThetaW. The projected cloud map below showing the tell tale sign of large cells forming or super cell type scenario with the height showing well then the overspread of cirrus up top. Now that is a storm that could produce and carry over along distance if it forms as shown below. Will see if it materializes, an interesting days weather watching. Might be surprise to people too in the track of storms is the gusty winds coming out of them in the downdraughts, not Kansas but Irish style!

Could very well form inland a bit from the coast but might see some activity there around 4ish give or take. The sea breezes just might keep the storms that bit inland….that is of course if they form, always a degree of uncertainty with convection and thunderstorms but looks like a a fairly high chance I would think.

• Advertisement

Thunder reported near Tullow from Carlow Weather even though the sferic didn't register.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭highdef

Strikes picked up near Tullow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭highdef

Heavy shower at Tullow.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Weather BOFH

First rumble of the day from this cell off to my south east

Nice Satellite pic today from NASSA which was probably taken a short time ago.

ECM 06Z Thunderstorm Index, which is good for using as a rough guide, not always correct in track or actually happening but it is more to alert to the possibility but with looking at the other parameters and other models they would back that some severe storms might kick off today and maybe further up into the midlands might see some activity also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

@meteorite58 I see parts of Laois in that ecm model showing the Thunderstorm index. There are some impressive clouds forming up to my North West over the Slieve Blooms, wonder will that give a few sparks later?

Good spread of CAPE, the lift from the mountains might help all right, will be interesting to see if they spark. There are some very moist mid levels and a warm air tongue along the convergence to boot so plenty of ammunition up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

Cloudscape at the moment:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Raining in Borris, Co.carlow.

Just heard a crack of thunder. Now two.

It's moving on for Graignamanagh now.

Steam off the road.

Advertisement