Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Options
  • 01-03-2024 7:23am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New thread for the new season(s).

Quite a bit of activity/sferics just off the SW coast this morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Lots of mammatus around today and this beauty just passed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Mammatus on a windy day, you sure?

For reference, these yokes

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/1svies/one_of_the_rarest_weather_phenomena_mammatus/

Yes, I know my clouds, maybe not well defined but still evident on the back of some big hail showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Ah deadly, I love a good mammatus cloud, only ever seen them once.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Weds the 528dam line is over part of the country as the upper low and associated cold pool spreads in over the country introducing a bit of instability. Along with clear spells it looks like there will be plenty of big convective showers with a good few hail showers with the chance of thunderstorms, sleet also and could be seeing a few white caps. A cold day especially near the windier coasts . In the S and SW a bit of mountain snow possible .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Several strikes not too long ago in west Offaly, from a shower that turned thundery.

Interesting skies again, heavy shower with a sleety mixture followed by a nice mammatus display. Picture doesn't do it justice, my son was equally as excited, "looks like an aero bar"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Whose map is that? Don't see Netweather or Blitzortung reporting those strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

It's on a website called lightningmaps.org

I see there were several recent strikes over an area of higher ground north of Macroom. I wonder if orographic lift aided this. Possible thundersnow involved too. Apologies for the portrait format, am currently on the phone rather than on the computer, as is not commonly the case with me.

Post edited by highdef on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Cheers. Interesting that they all produce different results, presume it's differing tech. Will go googling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Big rumble of thunder just now in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Plenty of lightning in that storm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Upper cold pool and trough spreading over the country along with diurnal heating and a bit of DLS giving marginal lapse rates but possibly enough to kick off some thunderstorms tomorrow with heavy local showers and hail possible too.

Will be interested to see if the additional shear compared to other days along with good spells of sunshine will aid convection leading to some lightning maybe a bit longer lasting and heftier than previous days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

It snowed today have to love the Donegal weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Hail and thunder here in South Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Looking across lough ree at that heavy shower in Longford/north Westmeath. Clouds are just going up and up!

Only a few sferics in the end in Cork and near Omagh, the lightning in South Kildare wasn't picked up.

Fantastic day here around Tralee, no huge drying I'd say but very welcome sunshine nonetheless.

Some fine clouds late afternoon but not able to transition into thunderstorms, a few drops this evening and cooling down now. cpould see the large CB's up along the coast

Pic over Tralee about 16.10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

massive flashes of lightning to my north in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

4 big flashes here in Delvin Co Westmeath.

• Advertisement

A few isolated thunderstorms possible tomorrow with good sunny spells, bit breezier in parts. Scattered locally heavy and blustery showers possible, some of hail but a lot of areas could stay dry. Deep layer shear arrives a bit late in the afternoon up from the SE but could aid some convection to spark up. No great stand out parameters yet but no doubt the proper April showers will get going soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Thunder in cavan

A few short lived thunderstorms today.

Chance of a few sparks this evening especially in the SW ( maybe coastal areas ) or along the S or SE later maybe owing to Orographic lift with an nice overlap of DLS over LLS, could get a few blustery or squally showers with hail possible. Tomorrow more chance of thunderstorms more over a wider area inland but isolated and perhaps short lived in nature.

Big blustery convective showers going through here near Tralee this evening, feeling a bit cooler at 9.3C, some recent sferics showed up in the West.

Pic: convection over Ardfert Cathedral short time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Loud Thunder here in Castlebar now

Will the storm clip the SE??

Should see that from the coast, I wonder has spookwoman got the camera out .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

just woke me bloody up ! Right ol bang (Tramore)

• Advertisement

I guess this belongs here too, athlone today. Beautiful Mammatus.

Advertisement