Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Lovely day in Cork, blue skies and great drying with a strong north westerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It was a beautiful sunny chilly morning in Dublin, turning into a lovely bright, but windy afternoon. I finally got the grass cut for the first time of year, and the rain has literally just arrived as I packed away the lawnmower 10 minutes ago. Ah well.

Post edited by Hippodrome Song Owl on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Recent heavy shower in Greystones. Temps have taken a tumble. Was 12.5c. Now 7.5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

Very gusty down here in Arklow in those showers

Howling during them,gusts in the high 60's kmh WNW

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭zell12

All the seasons today along with a biting arctic northerly. Hard to believe it is late March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Wonderful weather like this gives us beautiful skies like these .

Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Shower of sleet when I driving home over high ground.

Very sleety hail here the other side of the country in Arklow around 530

Temp dropped to 4.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

West Limerick

200M ASL

Heavy hail shows rolling in from North West since afternoon

Stiff north westerly breeze

Temperature @21:30: 2.9C

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was largely bright and sunny in a cool wind and shower free in my spot in Tralee town today until the midafternoon. Heard there were big showers out by the coast and up around North Kerry though, showers became more frequent in the late afternoon early evening with hail, big hail shower around 20.30 and shower going over just now, the fire is very welcome tonight, 5.8C

NASSA Pic from earlier today showing well the front that went through yesterday and shower field coming in from the NW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭appledrop

Shocked by how cold it was at football training tonight.

When I came out of house this morning I was like wow its lovely, sunshine was glorious up until lunchtime, then the showers set in.

Tonight feels more like a Dec evening, took ages to warm up when I came home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Short, but quite intensive hail shower caught on CCTV. Mayo/Roscommon border.

Temperature dropped 2 degrees during that event.

White outside after a torrential hail shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Kerry ⚠️

Rain will be heavy at times. 🌧️

Potential Impacts:

• Localised flooding ☔️

• Poor visibility 👀

• Difficult travelling conditions 🚗 🚴‍♀️ 🚶

Valid: 19:00 Sunday 24/03/24 to 10:00 Monday 25/03/24

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Horrible night and morning with frequent heavy showers and 8mm in the gauge since midnight. Top of Galtee Mor is white.

The farming commentary today is bleak reading for those in the S&E. I don’t think I’ve ever seen 6 times the average mentioned before.

Rainfall amounts are expected to range from about 1.2 times the average in the west and northwest to 5 or 6 times average in the east and south.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭zell12

We had warmer weather in December!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

I remember posting here at Christmas about how I felt cheated on Christmas day as it felt more like April and I felt more like being out gardening than cooking Xmas dinner. Now it's almost April and I want to be in the garden but we're getting the Xmas weather now. How fecked up is that!!😩

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I agree..I reckon we've had at top's a few what you would call Spring like weather over the 1st 2 months of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Still at your trolling spring begins in February crap. Why in nearly every post you make about spring you have to get in the little jab? Last month it was the last few weeks of spring. Now its the last 2 months. In a few weeks will you be saying the last 3 months of spring to continue your little jibe???? No doubt you will be calling May summer to continue it on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brookers

I know this is a long way back but easter 1984 was lovely, quite warm but with a chilly breeze if not directly in the sunshine. It continued all the way through that summer. I remember it very well as my father was sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick & Galway ⚠️

Heavy rain at times today for all of Kerry & for western parts of Cork, Limerick, Clare & Galway.

• Localised flooding 🌧️

• Difficult travelling conditions 🚗 🚴‍♀️

Top of Lugnaquilla yesterday afternoon

Biting cold

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Terrible terrible March, there's no putting lipstick on this pig.

Only on 55.9 hrs of sun to 23rd March at Dublin Airport. Should be ~85 hrs by then.

If the current avg hrs per day were retained, it would give a final monthly total of 75 hrs. Only March 2013 will have been cloudier this century for March.

The very poor stats don't end there because it's also been very wet and set to be even wetter with a wet final week ahead.

GFS suggests another ~40-50mm here for the rest of March.

Dublin Apt is already on 90.8mm for March 2024. Another 40mm to this would give 130mm which would be wetter than last March and March 2023 was the wettest March here since 1947!!!

March 1947 had 147.5mm of rain. Could beat that if some slow-moving frontal boundaries were to set up shop here but at the moment somewhat unlikely.

Only "slight" saving grace is it hasn't been cold. Better get a decent summer for this shitshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Hasn't been cold? We haven't seen a temperature above 14C yet and in general its around 8 to 12C. These are averages more akin to early February imo. Though I get your point that perhaps we've had little frost etc. I see Met Ie farming showing rainfall 5 or 6 times above average next week! You don't see that type of forecast very often. Flooding potential continues! Indeed with saturated ground I wonder could parts see disruption coinciding with high tides

Advertisement