Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Hasn't been cold relative to average. Of course it has FELT cold in that wind a lot of the time and March is rarely a very mild, never mind warm month. Daytime temps have been bang on average. Minima have been more than 2C above average under all the cloud and lack of frost. Aren't we getting used to well above average nights by now? We've had so many months of them... May 2022, August 2023 come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Farming commentary today has downgraded the rainfall from yesterday when 5 to 6 times average was forecast for the East and South this week. It seems that forecast was based entirely off yesterday mornings ecm which had exceptional rainfall for those areas.

Update today - It will be wetter than average across the country, with rainfall amounts generally ranging between 1.2 and 2.7 times the normal. 

Soil temperatures are 2 to 4c above average

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What about the summer of 1989, Eibhir? It wasn't as good as 1995,but not bad all the same .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Of course it's completely cloudy, with an endless sea of cloud to come in over Ireland, with a developing severe geomagnetic storm into the evening.

KP 8, G4 level. The timing being a little early in the evening will ease the sting! Unless it keeps going into nightfall. Any periods of a southerly titled IMF, spectacular show on offer for some to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

With the talk/arguing 😄 about seasons mentioned there again, how would they fit if they started at the equinox & solstice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

Fair enough, but is the climate not changing and quite dramatically too? So is there even any point in making comparisons with past years? I'm not trying to be smart, climate change is not an area I'm well versed in despite my interest in weather. But I don't think there is any denying it. Last years rainfall was incredible and now this month of March as well. Forecasted to be 5 or 6 times above average for the coming week! Kerry, where I live, is indeed the rainiest county but I just can't recall it ever being as bad as in recent years. Granted you had many rainy days but rarely as intense, frequent or prolonged. And was it not predicted by the experts that Ireland would get wetter?

I really hope that this is just a particularly wet period to be followed by a nice summer, but when it rains in Ireland it frequently forgets to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭babyducklings1

I’m not in Kerry but have to agree with you re the rain. Every piece of clothing I’ve washed since Christmas has gone straight into the drier . There is no getting anything outside to dry. I will probably have a huge electricity bill as I’ve used up all my credits but what can you do. I’ve been thinking about this too recently that our climate here in Ireland seems to be getting wetter. Everything is soggy and damp still. Impossible really but hopefully it will improve but does it ever really and after the wash out of last summer will be interesting to see if we get more of the same or a drier one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mapaputsi

The rain lads. It would break your heart wouldn't it.

Oranmore Galway here and saturated is an understatement. Really feels like it has rained relentlessly since last July. Itching to get a bit of work done around the garden but can't catch a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Dreadful today once again, relentless

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It would, there is just no end to it here in Cork.

Bar 2 cold spells in December and January it has been raining pretty much every day for the last 7 months and alot of days are downpours.

Seriously considering moving abroad from Oct-March this Winter, have hoped to do it for a number of years but I don't think I can take another winter here, they are getting worse each year.

Sick of rain and cold wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

ECM 00z showing a very wet end to the month for the SW in particular, and the GFS has no sign of things settling down all the way out to the end of its run on the 10th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Couple of my friends are going to Portugal this week. They asked me to check the weather, they thought I was taking the piss when I said worse than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Govt radio ads still going on 25/03/24 - about staying warm in cold weather

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The weather outlook for much of Spain and especially Portugal looks horrendous, even wetter than here. Surprised to see the Malaga region in for about 170mm of rain over the next 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Wr are going to Portugal on Wednesday. Hoping it won't be wet all the time. But at least the rain will be a bit warmer than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Spain and much of Portugal need rain more than they ever have, unprecedented drought in some parts, let them have a few days rain ffs

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looking at radar, looks like a (very) wet evening incoming for the South East and East.

Rain total for the month so far here in Greystones at 114.2mm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 12z rainfall totals for Spain and Portugal are very high indeed over 300mm in places. This could potentially cause flooding problems and when they get floods from rain it can be fairly serious as we have seen other years around this time. Rainfall totals in parts of north Portugal and north-west Spain almost going off the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This time next week it will be bright until 8pm+

Game on!!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

Yeah raining down here in Arklow the past 2hrs or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Wasn't such a bad day after.....rain wise anyway. Some ugly drizzle between 12 and 1 Meath/Dublin. Dry rest of the day. That band of rain coming up the Irish Sea is knocking on Wicklows door now. Is it to stay around long tomorrow :(

A very pretty sunset in Meath. Wasn't expecting that after a cloudy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

Was grand and mild day today in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

Jesus that would be just awful! Lousy luck for anyone going there to escape here. I'm going to Malta, week after Easter. Please tell me the forecast there is better 🤞🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

With the clock changing there'll be an hours less rain 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Indeed the same for me. The weather the last ten yrs or so has gotten very bland I think. With blandness not as much sticks out in the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Honesty Policy

I feel our spring/summer peaked too soon in other years. Basking in warm temperatures and sunshine in March/April/May and then hitting a cold brick wall later in the actual summer.

Hoping for an actual summer in summer this year.

We're in Ireland, we live in hope!

Advertisement