Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Some serious rain for the south over the next few days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Plenty of rain in the coming week but becoming much milder at the same time. After that we may go a bit dryer for a little bit but any signs of dryer weather is looking a bit flimsy at the moment. Temperatures of up to 15 or 16C is possible over the coming week but with plenty of rain or showers around I'm not sure that it will feel overly mild. The unsettled theme continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Awful evening in Galway heavy rain since around 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

dirty evening again . Was in Dublin today was so dull and dreary. Raining from the midlands down this evening. It’s relentless isn’t it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya was dry here the past few days but with the odd drop of rain. Now the real rain is back. Looks like the wettest March since last March. Eek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Yellow warning issued for the South West but its torrential in Galway floods all around the place Sat shows heaviesr of the rain is in Galway City and County definitely should be Yellow here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

That's the thing though - it has been a relatively dry winter in Connemara. I always look at the rainfall stats for Mace Head because what falls at Mace Head usually heads my direction. And Mace Head has had a decent winter apart from Xmas. I watch the water levels in the local drains, canals, rivers and lakes and we are doing fine for this time of year. The last week or so was very dry. I believe the East coast got around average rainfall over the winter but Mace Head was less than average and 2 months were well below a average)

November 2023 = 79mm (Average = 150)

December 2023 = 143mm (Average = 146)

January 2024 = 76mm (Average = 138)

February 2024 = 95mm (Average = 98)

March 2024 = 13mm (Average = 106) - One third of month done but obviously that 13 will increase a lot.

The total rainfall at Mace for 2023 was below average (1162 v 1340)

Had a quick look at Dublin Airport and the rainfall is below average for November, December and January. February was above average.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Wow I find that hard to believe. It feels like we haven’t had 4-5 dry days in a row since September 2023 to be honest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Don't get me wrong, some stations had a very wet 2023 but it's swings and roundabouts. Ireland is a wet country but thankfully we have the technology to know when the dry windows are down to the hour. We had a 2 week dry/cold spell in January and I remember people actually out cutting the grass.

February 2023 was very dry at Mace (35mm v 98 average) but Johnstone Castle in Wexford only recorded 7.4mm against an average of 75mm. This year Johnstone Castle got 136mm!!

Roches Point got 11mm against an average of 74mm in Feb 2023. It got 166mm in February 2024!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

Absolutely lashing herexin NCD for the past few hours.

Has been so dark and dull in Dublin everyday for about a week now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

The lawn is the wettest it's been since I put new drainage and re seeded 6 years ago. We have a Loch that runs beside our cottage. We moved in about 15 years ago. It's at its second highest level that we remember.

Dreadful weather indeed.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Orange rain warning now for Cork and Kerry for tomorrow and Thursday:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The ECM 46 extended forcast looks horrendeus for the rest of March with low pressure close to or over Ireland for the rest of the month with plenty of rainfall and temperatures between 1 and 4C above average with the Atlantic throwing everything it can at us over the next few weeks.

GFS looks very wet indeed over the next 2 weeks or so. The deluge goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Decent morning here so far, at least the dreaded cold easterlies are gone, feeling quite mild in watery sun. Possibly the last for a few days!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fine day in Greystones. 15.8c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Well it’s not raining and it’s not freezing cold. Granted it’s dull and windy but it’s an improvement.

Not a good day here in Meath. A heavy damp misty drizzle all day that would soak you but at least it's mild!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Met Eireann updated Cork and Kerry to ORANGE for Wed noon to Thurs noon:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Another dull damp day . Hardly seen any sun since last week. Really wish we could just skip March and go straight to April.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Dull,windy and very misty. Only 2mm in the gauge over night. Was expecting more but I am sure it will make up for it over the next few days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Far and away the wettest six month period I can remember

Even when a brief dry reprieve arrives ,the rain roars back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Agrees with the GFS. Only a very tentative bit of high pressure ridging, otherwise dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Escaping the rain here in Castlebar. Dry and Sunny. Tomorrow looks a wash out though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

A depressing year so far with all the rain and drizzle, no doubt about it. Can only get better

another wet and miserable day here in Meath, I've lost count with the number of washout days we've had this month and we're not even half way through the month. I cut the grass for the first time final week of February and it's been raining ever since, the lawn is a swamp again. It probably won't get cut again till April because the next few weeks look like an almost constant washout.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

That snow day in Dublin on 1 March (and the 2 days of lying snow in the mountains after) is as good as this Spring is gonna get, I've zero expectations for the rest of it. Maybe the sun will come out again in June sometime....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wet day around Tralee and on the way back to Dingle, waves of mist, drizzle light rain and more moderate at times, not too bad so far. Mild and humid.

Keeps the grass green anyway 😄

We are unlikely to see any more snow between now and next December at the very best. If that happens this will be the first season since I was born in the early 1970s to not see a single snowflake between late autumn and early to mid Spring. I've lived through several snowless winters, especially in recent times but March usually deliver something but this year it was just cold rain throughout here in Meath.

But the real issue right now is not the lack of snow but the amount of rain that is falling day after day, week after week and month after month. At the moment there is no end in sight to the Atlantic onslaught. Any brief appearances of high pressure in the models is very quickly put back into it's box like cold in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

The rain stopped in Meath around 3pm. Until it starts again. 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
Advertisement