Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

After a fine morning breezy afternoon with light rain showers in Greystones. 7.2c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Throwing it down hail in Kildare. Place white again 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

Beautiful scenery up in Djouce, Wicklow today. Now bring on some Spring like weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Definitely no need for an ice warning here over night. Plenty of showers with 3.5mm in the gauge this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I’ve been very fortunate between work and leave to be away for a good bit since Xmas. Back today for the first time in a good few weeks and you forget what a miserable climate we have. Dreadful day cold wet and windy so dreary.

Wet,windy and miserable,flogging rain outside,its relentless at this stage. I reckon I have had 1 dry 24 hour period since the cold frosty spell in the middle of January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Yep what a thoroughly dreadful wet period.... the last 8 months have averaged 140mm of rain in Cork, pushing 2x the LTA.

And it's not just the amount of rain that has fallen, it's the no. of wet days too, we've had loads of days where the rainfall didn't amount to much but were still rotten to be out in.

Surely we'll go into an extended dry period soon......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I missed the Aurora last night.

another one from twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Like a storm outside, belting down. I've to cycle home from swords in it soon, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I see a yellow warning for rain and wind is in force for Cork and Kerry while Clare ,Limerick and Galway is also in a wind warning with an orange marine warning for the southwest

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

What a pig of a night in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow Wind Warning⚠️

Possible impacts: 

- Falling branches🌳🍃

- Damage to temporary structures 

- Wave overtopping🌊

- Difficult travelling conditions🚲🚗🚶‍♀️

Valid: 5am to 8am Tuesday 5/3/2024

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's awful, we are just back from training, thank god it was indoors! But got soaked just running to the car, that horrible sideways rain that drowns you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

After an atrocious night in Dublin, this morning is also mostly poor with blustery winds and on/off moderate rain that has tapered back. It did provide some brief sunrise light though 🌈

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I wonder will met eireann use them new symbols in the future 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Sorry folks but I can’t find a more suitable thread.

Does anyone know what to expect in Ireland this summer ?

I’m looking at the month of June in particular.

I’ve booked a trip home without considering the weather and I’ve just realised I probably should have booked for May.

I’m hoping it’s not going to be too hot as where I’m staying is not setup for hot weather meaning no aircon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

No one can forecast more than 10 days in advance.

However you can be fairly certain it'll never be too hot in Ireland - even in summer.

The average max temperature is around 18º. The average minimum is around 10º. You're unlikely to need aircon unless the country is in the grip of a prolonged heatwave.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Depends on what part of Ireland your going to. The east of the country is usually fairly chilly to start June as we often have easterlies that time of year and these can be cold for Leinster with temperatures barely making it into the teens while further west 20C or more can happen in such a set up. Overall Ireland does not really get hot weather at any time of the year and when it does happen it's usually just for 1 afternoon and reported at 1 or 2 weather stations. I consider hot weather 30C or more. Low to mid 20s can happen in June but it's usually limited to western areas if we have high pressure with easterly flow or in rare exceptions can happen in eastern areas if there is a heat plume up from the south with off shore south-westerly winds.

In June there is a very good chance that daytime temperatures will be somewhere between 12 and 19C depending on wind direction, location and type of weather.

Temperatures into the mid 20s or higher is more common in July when the affect of the Irish sea lowering temperatures is minimized.

The main worry you would have with the weather in Ireland any time of the summer is not the temperature but how often is it going to rain.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Nice and sunny today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Cracking day today from about 10am onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Thanks for that guys. You have eased my worries.

I was there about 2 years ago and it was uncomfortable but I’ve just been told that was in august so hopefully June treats me better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Yes after a poor start it turned out a lovely day here in Dublin...we've not had much in a way of Spring weather yet bar today and a few days in late February...hopefully things will change

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Must say I'm loving these bright mornings and evenings and finally some dry weather to go along with it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Lovely morning here in Dublin..greatto have it bright before 7am

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It cleared up to a beautiful afternoon and evening in Dublin yesterday. And a beautiful, bright morning now with a chilly breeze. Surprised to see the fields glistening white with frost though.

The very wet theme of February continues into March, another wet miserable morning and already over 25mm has fallen and we still in the first week of March

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Quiet enough weather in the Northwest now after the snow last week. Was 12c yesterday which was pleasant in the sun. Spring is probably the most benign of all our seasons with March to May usually bringing little in the way of extremes bar rain sometimes.

As for Summer I'd imagine more rain at times with the odd warm or very warm spell. I don't foresee a 1995 myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Since the very dry year of 2021 into 2022 we flipped into an extremely overall wet pattern since September 2nd 2022. Autumn 2022 was a washout, as was much of winter 2022/2023 with the exception of February. Spring 2023 was fairly wet particularly March 2023. It stayed unsettled all the way till mid May 2023 and then 2 to 3 weeks of dry weather. 2nd week of June 2023 turned unsettled again and this lead of a soaking wet June, July and August, a deluge ridden summer of 2023. A warm and dry first week to September then gave way back to a very wet pattern for the rest of Autumn 2023 and now we have just come out of a mostly very mild and deluge ridden winter. We are not even a week into March 2024 and many places are already well above average with rainfall. This extended overall spell of very wet conditions will hopefully come to an end soon. I am hoping for a significant pattern change over the next few months in time to deliver some decent summer weather and hopefully a dryer autumn and winter period compared to the past 18 months.

Advertisement