Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

highs of 5c for dublin tomorrow and rain all day. i think i need to look into emigrating again. i wouldn't mind as much but our summers are always so wet and miserable too, that's when the weather here really kills me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm currently into the process of booking several weeks in Spain during the late summer and early Autumn, cannot wait to get away from the daily deluges and into proper warm and sunny weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I hear ye. It’s the constant grey skies that kill me like Groundhog Day, what I’d give for some blue skies and proper warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Yep I'm seriously considering moving abroad at this stage too to escape this permanently sh*t climate. Our weather is literally like a real-life equivalent of the Simpsons episode where Mr Burns blocks the sun from Springfield.

Taking the ferry to Bilbao with the tent and surfboards on 22nd May. 4 weeks. Maybe I'll never come back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Lucky your not going this week or you could leave the tent at home and just bring the surfboards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think it's been lashing rain in Iberian Peninsula recently too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Strom Nelson apparently. Named by Spanish Met. Basically the same low pressure we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I take every opportunity as you know TM to get out. I gave up on it a long time ago. Life’s too short for pretending and “making the best of it”.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭boetstark

The strange thing , without deflecting the thread. When discussing cycle lanes and the bombardment of new ones , a few of our regular posters argue that the amount of wet weather we get in Ireland is totally exaggerated , wtf.

Rear of our house is very open to the elements and walls , patio etc covered in algae from incessant wet weather.

Springtime sunshine in Limerick at the moment but jet black clouds on the way.

• Advertisement

it depends where you are i suppose, in dublin it's been rainier in the last 6 months or so than i can remember, but it's still not that often that it's raining when you are cycling to work, which is the only time i care if it's raining or not. anyway rain gear does the job on those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If we're speeding it up though, that gives the potential for even more rain because higher temps = more moisture available of which we've been seeing the effects of that since September 2022 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

What's the rainfall for the last 36 months like vs LTA though SRyan?

It's a bit misleading to say that the wet last 18 months are a climate change artefact, without acknowledging that the previous 18 or so months were all drier than normal. Is it a bit of recency bias?!

I'm only quoting from memory, so it could be 14 or 20 drier months, but I know you'd have the stats. I remember posting on these forums back in 2022 that we were well over-due an extended wet spell. I didn't quite expect it to last 18 months though! (caveat that I remember April to June being reasonably dry last year)

Either way, I'm well sick of it now like the rest of ye, especially since I swapped sunny Ireland for rainy Australia last June 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm nearly afraid to ask but what's Paris going to be like next week?

Going to Disneyland with the kids, all I want is a bit of dry weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

This is automated from the French met but I find it good, click 7 day. Currently looking like it could be wet early next week

https://meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-france/chessy/77700

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Variation does and will always happen. For instance, February 2023 was very dry and the May/June 2023 spell was one of the most prolonged for a large number of years for different places (Dublin Airport had its longest absolute drought since 1955 as one example!). However, the trend since September 2022 has been much wetter than average conditions persisting including the wettest October on national record (2022), the wettest March on national record (2023) and the wettest July on national record (2023) all occurring in this time. That is a lot of national monthly records for what is a relatively small climatological timeframe of 10 months between the 3.

Now as you know, our Met doesn't make things easy in being able to access national stats that would prove useful in a discussion like this. The best I have to offer is an Irish rainfall series I one day made for a post on here and interest sakes to compare how wet or dry a month was across the nation and single out backyard bias. It only goes back to 2009 so is not very useful in being able to see effects of CC. When you initially look at this graph, the recent wet period doesn't exactly seem attention grabbing. After all, we've seen numerous spikes significantly greater than what we've seen like November 2009, December 2015 and February 2020 especially being the big outliers above 200mm. These are not necessarily evidence of what has changed though may have been intensified compared to years ago, that can only be hypothesised rather than concrete. One needs to look a bit closer and towards the end, there is a lack of short columns indicating a lack of dry months. This isn't entirely unique in the series - look at the second half of 2019 into early 2020 which was another notable consistently wet period. In fact, I think it's good to note that in the long-term England & Wales precipitation series (which goes back to 1766!) the two wettest 18-month periods on record there are September 2022-February 2024 and August 2019-January 2021. Could be complete coincidence or at least a little eye opening how the top 2 wettest have occurred so close together.

A huge player in the warm sea temperatures in the North Atlantic and subsequently likely this wet period too as an effect is the Hunga-Tonga eruption from January 2022 with all the excess water vapour that emitted.

The AMO is a variation on Atlantic sea temperatures and its existence has been questioned in recent years as a result of things like volcanic eruptions driving its variation rather than it being a natural oscillation. However, for the sake of this, it's the best thing to go by to visualise the sea temperatures over time. If we take the annual rainfall from the first graph below for Ireland from 1850-2015 and picture it overlayed on top of the AMO, we can see the variation making sense with what we've been told. Ireland's wetter years have tended to coincide with a warmer North Atlantic state (positive AMO) whilst drier periods have tended to coincide with a colder North Atlantic state (negative AMO). That's generally speaking the case - there are exceptions as always that may have been skewed by something else.

One other part of CC that may have impacted the recent exceptionally wet period is the frequency of above average heights to our south and southeast allowing those moisture laden southwesterlies to continue to blow for an even higher frequency than you'd expect. Reanalysis confirms this with a very ripe setup for Ireland southwesterly winds.

Anyway, I've done a lot of rambling for one day and will leave it there.

Roll on the next prolonged high pressure 😒

Post edited by sryanbruen on

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

There was just enough of a reprieve from the incessant rain here in NW this evening to take the dog for a short walk.

It’s usually a quiet affair and we don’t meet many others, except for today, I think every dog walker in the neighbourhood came out of the woodwork at the same time to make a mad dash and get a quick one in. And it was a quick one, got 15mins before we had to turn back as the heavens opened again🙄

This is beyond a joke now. I can just imagine this dragging on right through the whole summer. Hopefully I’m wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Serious analysis and AMO insights SRyan, thank you!

It looks as though our current positive AMO phase could be shorter and with a lower peak than the 1930s/40s phase. Do you think that's the case or have we not peaked yet?

I just Googled it and I'd posted this in June 2022. At that stage we'd had 10 consecutive drier than normal months including the driest autumn on record. So it was inevitable that we were in for a compensatory soaking from late 22. I didn't see it lasting this long though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Tomorrow

A cold start tomorrow with some frost and ice as outbreaks of rain spread over Ulster and parts of Leinster through the day, turning to sleet or snow in some places.

Below some patchy snow cover tomorrow over some northern parts on tonight gfs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice to finally see a nice Moon rising and some clear skies. Castlebar

Snowing in wales

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The Galtees this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Hard frost in Galway early this morning but absolutely lovely now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Some snow on the Wicklow and Dublin mountains this morning, didnt realise it was that cold. Nice morning so far in south Dublin

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautiful morning in North Kildare I have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

After a baltic and drizzly start in NCD taking up nice now, hopefully the rain stays away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Cold in D13 too with partly cloudy skies (with cloud building further) and a chilly breeze.

Advertisement