Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

June 2022... ??? so many threads yet I don't know where to put this..?

• 11-06-2022 7:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

whats with the weather? May was awful and this month is not much better..

Those of you in the know - whats going on? what are the predictions for summer?

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The FI thread is probably your best bet for longer term forecasts @sporina,but take forecasts with a large pinch of salt.. . It's called fantasy Island for a reason!

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058248300/fi-charts-t120-onwards-summer-2022-read-mod-note-in-first-post#latest

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We had a major pattern change which took place over the course of May with generally cooler and more unsettled into the second half of May. Of course this has brought plenty of wind and some very unseasonably chilly temperatures into June. We may get 1 to 2 days of warmth on Thursday and Friday then back to an unsettled and relatively cool period for the remainder of June. It is unclear right now if we'll see an improvement for July as that is along way off yet. We had a year long spell of extended dry periods interrupted by brief unsettled periods and temperatures above average throughout the past year. This changed as we moved into the second half of May and June is currently running below normal temperatures throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Hi Sporina, welcome to our country!

We can this "summer" in Ireland.

Hope you get to enjoy some of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FlippyFloppy22

This is not true. Ireland has experienced much better weather in June / July. Think of the previous years. What we're getting these days is not "summer in Ireland". It's quite unusual actually.

You're right in that we have had better weather in June, but what were getting lately is bang on average, here in the west anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭sporina

May or June is usually good - one of the other - most years - from my memory - its not called "exam weather" for nothing.. not this year though.. March and April wer good - I hope thats not it as far as summer goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

June last year was poor in the west - decent in the East, somewhat reversed this year it seems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Exactly. Take Mullingar, for example. Well within the bounds of 50% of the longterm average dataset.

We had 10 consecutive drier than normal months since last June.

Driest autumn on record followed by a dry and mild winter.

I think people don't realise how unusual that run of good weather was. But I suppose in that context, its no surprise that going back to normal conditions in May and June is now perceived by people to be "bad weather"!

Unfortunately, based on climatology, it's likely to get worse before it gets better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yes - its been a an incredibly benign 12 months really. Gotta pay for it sometime. Just hope we can get a decent July before the sh*t hits the fan....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭sporina

I don't know anything specific about stats of previous years.. but I do know what May and or June wer usually nice.. it wasn't called exam weather for nothing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭giveitholly

For so called unsettled conditions,ground is rock hard and very dry in my area,farmers around here starting to fodder cows due to lack of growth because of soil moisture deficit. Rainfall has been very low the last month. No way has the Atlantic being dominating the weather around here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes we have run out of grass and had to put out hay. Most of farm is closed off for hay meadows.

Advertisement